sb-alto

Tata Aria 4X4

This is my precise point . We all know the history of Indian estate cars- Starting from Tata Estate- Rover Montego- Maruti Baleno Altura- Skoda Octavia Estate- Indigo Marina...... now recently launched Mercedes R class @ 60 Lacs ( its badly flopped car in oversees market).... Now Tata Aria @ 15+ MUV........History will repeat itselfsmiley18.gif

I don't think "Estate" failure would have any bearing on Aria's sales. Its a tightrope for Tata now, they will have to keep the initial batch of consumers very happy because only good word on reliability & a.s.s can set the ball rolling.

Edit: @Sarab, can we see the weight comparison figures between Aria & Safari for a correct analysis. On the outset, I believe a vehicle which is heavily packed with Electronics/gadgetry would tip the scales.

@Tushargoyal: Avoid the use of "....." in-between sentences - Mod.
BornFree2010-10-13 05:50:31

Aria might not be out-rightly "underpowered" but Tata should have made some distinction between lesser Safari's engine & Aria's if it intended to go premium on the later.

Well there is a reason , either Tata could have made 2.2 more powerfull and extract more torque or they could have made Aria lighter , which they did.

@Aria looking like an Indigo Marina , sorry , if the car was in front of you in a traffic light , u will for not once think about Indigo Marina

I hope everyone is sharing their insights in positive spirit.smiley32.gif

My logic is simple: Brand postioning is very important - Suzuki was never successful in high price sedan market, Esteem vs Baleno (flopped), Dzire vs SX4  now they want to try their luck with premium Kizashi.

Indian consumer is educated and makes a informed decision. Tatas in India are know for commercial segment. their trucks sales are always more than passenger car segment. Only issue which is going to come to convince customer for 1.5 million rupees car from a brand associated with Taxi, Indica, Nanosmiley5.gif

Mods: Thanks,I'll take care of that.

Suzuki flopped because the ERA when they launched high price sedans was for hatches , same goes for Opel Vectra if GM rebadges it and launches it , it will be one hot seller.

Renault also makes trucks i wonder how many Europeans think about it before making a decision ?

Mercedes taxis run all over europe , Looking from the taximens eyes a Maruti will never suite him because its not tough enough . Bangladesh (dhaka) had tried to use Marutis as taxi and had to scrap them within 3 years.

Its all about perception , Vista and Manza had broken the taxi-wala barrier , Nano is being used as an third car by many, way i see it Tata is growing. 

Tatas in India are know for commercial segment. their trucks sales are always more than passenger car segment. Only issue which is going to come to convince customer for 1.5 million rupees car from a brand associated with Taxi' date=' Indica, Nanosmiley5.gif[/quote']

Indigo sells the most in Sedan segment. It isn't cheap buddy. Tata has grown, the main issue here is, many doesn't know this. I does agree, their AfSS still needs some improvement, but then, Tata will take care of Aria customers in a better way.

Tata can easily sell in decent nos, till the Mahindra's premium SUV is out. Even after that, they have a choice to make good nos, i.e., They can strip all the things that constitute a premium 'n sell a basic Crossover that seats 7 around 10L-12L.

@BF, Tata need not have to learn from generations(of SUV) to make a premium SUV, they just bought LR, what more they need to learn about SUV.

@Rahul,  In our country, the Scorpio is wrongly used. It is bought by many as a Good People mover. So is why it is selling in more nos.

Safari may be selling low, but its GC, road ability, road presence, highway stabilty, off roading ability are far better Scorpio.
creativebala2010-10-13 08:54:26

@sarabjeet

Our indian market is very sensitive about brand associations there is  nothing wrong in being Taxi segment but People will not like as in case of Delhi NCR when a guy in Vista stopped to ask directions at bus stop people jumped inside his car. Remember perceptions drive market & sales.

@ Tushar

Innova is up there as a taxi fav , how many people decide not to buy an Innova ??

Vista does moderatly , People who buy Tata go for its diesel cars , hence we see lesser sale than its compititors. Yes Tatas do niggle but people accept it as it is a tank , u can dump 200 kilos of cement inside it and it will still go.

You can't say tata's don't click it is the second largest car manufacturers

all i can say is that this is the first step forward from Tata motors to launch a premium vehicle above their 12L safari category, which looks promising along with loads and loads of features offered on other premium brands.I guess to differ their Aria with Innova which people would rather compare with,tata came up with their AWD system and not 4x2.

Hope tata could prove themselves with this product with their after sales as well and small niggles which their other products does face.

Guys this is not about features or technology This is about brand association at particular price point. Why mercedes failed with Maybach brand wanted to compete with Rolls Royce, Bentley later two have royal heritage.

Why Suzuki always fail with premium sedan, Hyundai SUV never able to shake SUV market?

answer is pretty obvious Timex can never sell at Rado/rolex price point even if they their watches from the best of materials available on planet.

So Tata selling premium car/MUV simply not digestable with same logo on nano, Ace (mini truck) 'I think its just common sense which is not very commonsmiley4.gif'

Guys this is not about features or technology This is about brand association at particular price point. Why mercedes failed with Maybach brand wanted to compete with Rolls Royce' date=' Bentley later two have royal heritage.

[/quote']  

Maybach has more or same history as RR and bentley , it was formed in 1909.

As a matter of fact Bentley and Austin Martin two of the most prestigious brands are known for their niggles , electronics failures and shabby fit and finish. (Bentley has improved a bit after VW takeover)

Maybach failed because Mercedes was dumb , on one hand they offered super luxuries Maybach with a heafty price tag and on the other hand S600 was available with same features for half the price.

Why Suzuki always fail with premium sedan' date=' Hyundai SUV never able to shake SUV market?

[/quote']

CBU , nothing else and not bang for the buck , lacked features which other in the same price bracket had.

answer is pretty obvious Timex can never sell at Rado/rolex price point even if they their watches from the best of materials available on planet.

Rolex was once sold door to door by salesmen ' date=' it didn't become a leader in one day same goes with vacheron constantin.

So Tata selling premium car/MUV simply not digestable with same logo on nano, Ace (mini truck) 'I think its just common sense which is not very commonsmiley4.gif'

So does Maruti , Hyundai , Toyota  and GM , they all sell cheap cars globally.