bluesapphire

Premium Hatch Confusion: Jazz 'Select'ed.

Hi guys,

We are looking for a premium hatch replacing our good old 2003 Honda City this festive season. We are looking for a petrol car & my requirements are :

Rev-free engine,

Good ride as we travel daily on bad roads to our contruction site & also a decent handler if not the best,

spacious cabin,

Good build quality & interior plastics,

nice features,

decent A.S.S and

our budget is 6.5-7.25lacs OTR, Surat.

Basically our mind is set on i20 sportz/Asta which costs 6.03/6.50 lacs OTR with no deal on offer but my mother being a Honda fan is very much interested in Jazz, though its expensive still she wants to give it a chance by not kicking it out of considerations. We are very much satisfied with our current Honda so probably thats the main reason for considering Jazz, previously we thought to purchase Honda city but now we are thinking to get a hatch 1st & then a sedan replacing my li'l spark later next year.

Also TD'ed Polo, though its a 3cylinder engine, its brilliant engine to drive, though a bit noisy is very sporty & rev-free, very Honda like but the rear is too cramped & overall the car doesnt has the feel of a premium hatch, i am talking about features here & interior plastic is bit hard for its price. The highline too is costly with only few features to offer, but the biggest thing which put me off was its 4-6months waiting period. I am definately not gonna wait so much for a car even if i may buy it after 6months.

So basically its between i20 & Jazz.

But i have a question - Should i consider Micra???, though after seeing few i didnt liked its looks but has nice features & a spacious cabin but then i am still to TD it. Those who have TD'ed it please comment on its engine, ride, handling, build quality & overall feel.

Also today 1 more car is added to my list,

yes its the facelifted Fabia. Though my parents dont like the way it looks but i quite like it especially for its rich interiors & cabin space which Polo lacks apart from german quality which is common in both. The only thing for which i am considering this one only today is the change in its engine, as i said i loved the engine of Polo & now same is there in Fabia with good price too so to me its a good deal to have positives of Polo as well other cars but then its A.s.s is a big big worry.

So guys, please pour in your suggestions, what should i do, though i liked i20 too & is probably best overall hatch but how is its Ride? & also have heard that its AC isnt that effective. Also will it rattle in near future, as i said the roads we go daily are very bad. We have used Getz in past and were extremely satisfied with the car except for its boring engine & handling, it was a great car.

@ BS

Fabia has rich interiors (just bought a fabia tdi) and tons of space , but its not free reving. If features and space is imp requirement then Fabia is a good choice if u can deal with Skoda.

You can give Polo 1.6 a look its too hot to miss , u will ignore the gadget list .

or

you forgot Micra , a 3 potter but has a smooth and powerfull engine with features loaded to the brim

@Sarab, well i am talking about Fabia Petrol which is just today launched with Polo's 1.2engine which is rev free.

And Polo 1.6 is just too costly.

For Micra, i am yet to TD it, as the dealer is far away, i am not getting time to visit it.

if i am not wrong 1.6 is 30k more expensive than the 1.2 . Don't know if the Fabia will get the same tuned engine as VW and also the gear box plays to VW's advantage not sure Skoda will get the same.

Jazz with activa kit is just too hot , u might get a good discount on it too.

Try out Micra , top end is too good

Ya but already the 1.2 highline is expensive at 6.74lac OTR & main concern is the waiting, i cant wait so long.

Also Fabia's gear box is nice too. I have to TD it to know how refined the engine is.

The Jazz X which comes with alloys & other accessories is 30k more expensive than regular one & no discount on that variant. There is 57k discount on regular one.

Yes Micra has lots of good features, i am thinking to go now for a TD but looks wise, it looks cute while we are more interested in elegant or sporty looking hatch.

EDIT - Just saw few pics of facelifted Fabia on ACI site, i wonder why they have done nothing with the rear, the tail lights should have got a good change, they are boring actually. Also though the alloys looks good, they should have changed those too to give the car a different look to differentiate from the older one. The current facelift is nothing but just a light/bumper change & major change are the introduction of new engines which is a good thing.bluesapphire2010-10-12 12:04:19

You have a budget of 7.25 otr , and 1.6 is a shortcut to beat the waiting period as very less people are aware about it and buy it . You will get it much faster.

Get your mom to TD them and see which one she is comfortable in.

I guess the new Fabia 1.6 should be it. Spacious and good engine. Fiat Punto 1.4 is also a good car but plastic quality isnt too good. But the car is hardy and durable.

If bad roads are problem the polo or i20 should be considered last. They have softer suspension and i20's steering is over boosted PS.

The Fabia's price has come down and makes it a very good buy.

i20 is a good all rounder and should fit perfectly in pretty much every job whether self driving or chauffer driven. Also, there are enough engine options to fulfil all requirements.

One thing about Jazz, the rear suspension. If someone will be riding on the back seat on bad roads, than I do not recommend the car. It is good to drive but you will feel every minor bump and pothole in the rear seat and I do not mean gently. If test driving, get one of the family members to sit in the rear seat to see what I mean. If the rear seat wont be used much then its a great car with very attractive discounts.

Replies to your queries in a Sequence manner;

1) Honda & Hyundai cars aren't meant for Bad Roads, especially i10 & i20s are having Steering Coloum Rattling Issues & that's due to its faulty design.

Whereas Honda Suffers from too much delicate Engine & Suspension Components & the latter is also on the Softer side, meant for Good roads or Roads with minor Imperfections.

2) 4cylinder Polo 1.6 petrol, it comes pretty close to your demands & considerations & even heard that At many VW dealerships Polo Highline is readily available, both in 1.2, 1.6 Petrols & Diesel.

3) Micra is nowhere near to the Premium feel what the Polo, Fabia offers.

Plus its 3-cyl petrol engine is Noisy, Coarse & not Rev-happy.

Its Rear Seat is the Worst I've seen on any car.

4) Fabia is better than Polo interms of Space, Bulid Quality, Interiors, Insulation & Rear Seat Comfort.

IMO, Its a Swift with its Ironed out Niggles & Shortcomings or 'A German Swift'..

Plus the Improved Spec-list & Highly tempting price for its latest face-lifted version, making it a Worthy buy.

In Short, Fabia & Polo comes close to your demands & considerations, but Fabia scores somewhat better due to its Price i.e 5.99 lacs for 1.6 Highline Petrol & better features over the Polo like Electrically adjustable ORVMs, etc.  

Just TD it..

dr_nishu2010-10-12 15:01:59

@BS: If I were you, I'll just go for the Jazz. It's having some good deals too now to the tune of some 55k and you can haggle for more, since you have a '03 City. Jetta and Jazz will be a pretty sight in your portico.

I prefer  i 20 diesel with new cog added to gear box is quick and spacious  running cost and parts replacement is cheaper hope this should be a value for money on long run ,well it also looks good

I feel that Skoda Fabia is the car for you!

It ticks all the right boxes for you; let it be ride, handling, interior quality, engine(as you have found it to be good) etc etc. It may be a bit short on features, but overall a very good package.

I really liked the attention to detail like the rubber grip for closing the rear hatch, feather-touch switch for hatch opening, fabric padding for bottle holder and other cubby-holes, coin and ticket holder etc.

And felt the quality to be a notch above Polo.

If you feel that the Skoda service center is near and they give good service, just go for it! Also, many Aftermarket workshops like Bosch Car Service Center and the many other importers stock spares for German cars. Hence you could easily get good service, if not from ASS.

carispassion2010-10-12 18:16:48

If your mom is intrested in JAZZ then go to your Honda dealer and haggle a lot for discounts and try to get atleast 60k discount on the on road price in Surat . 

I personally think the Jazz X especially in Tomato red is delicious . For i20 I think you should give it a skip as the petrol engine ain't good and anyways it will be replaced for Kappa2 in near future .

The Fabia highline 1.6lt petrol is also a great car especially the ride and handling of this car is second only to the Punto and now Skoda will have to price the spares and prices competitively so this is the one to go for if not Jazz.

Fabia is a very good choice but for the brand. If you are confident about the brand, the maintenance costs etc. then go for it.

Jazz engine has been crowned as the best 1.2 king by all the Indian journos and immense space just makes it the perfect family car. The only 2 missing features are Seat height adjust and Climate Control. Driving a Jazz will clear your doubts whether you need seat height adjusts. Climate control in my opinion is not a big feature to miss.

Haggle with your full strength at Honda dealerships. There is a free insurance and many other schemes going on. Especially as you are an old Honda Customer, you will get some loyalty bonus too

Stick to honda family go for Jazz 'X' ask for as many discounts as possible  check the manufacturing date for sure as many are lying in the warehouse. This small innova's only -ve part is price & shape.

This small innova's only -ve part is price & shape.

What else is left sir !!

One is the One-time Judgement/deciding factor(its price) & another is the Retaining factor(Actually referring to its shape here, means if your car or your any daily routine item is having even Minor Imperfection or is against your liking, it'll pinch you everytime, especially when you need it the most).

So Why having a product/choice that Pinches you everyday !

Instead look for that which comes close to your consideration, Self-satisfaction & your Ego -It'll always Please you everyday/everytime.

@Nishu

With Jazz I dont see any problem with price, espescially with ongoing offers. I have always felt it to be worth the price tag, a little premium is there, but acceptable given the brilliance of the car and its quality.

Also Innova like shape was never one of its negatives.

Also there is no car which is perfect. You have to see which car you would regret buying the least. Sometimes even though you dont like something it grows on you.

I initially missed ACC a lot in my City but now I dont, and I just enjoy the smooth as silk experience.

Fabia is a very good choice but for the brand. If you are confident about the brand' date=' the maintenance costs etc. then go for it.

Jazz engine has been crowned as the best 1.2 king by all the Indian journos and immense space just makes it the perfect family car. The only 2 missing features are Seat height adjust and Climate Control. Driving a Jazz will clear your doubts whether you need seat height adjusts. Climate control in my opinion is not a big feature to miss.

Haggle with your full strength at Honda dealerships. There is a free insurance and many other schemes going on. Especially as you are an old Honda Customer, you will get some loyalty bonus too[/quote']

Frankly speaking I never liked the engine of the JAZZ I have done test drives twice 1st time for 15 mins in city ,2nd time on highway for 40 mins , I think the engine is too vocal or say the insulation is poor also I never wanted to rev it for this reason and kept @3500rpm all the way (this is the place for max torque) .

I really like the Maruti K series engine more than the JAzz as it didn't seem that vocal and it is more peppy to rev and I think the low end is also good (the car was Ritz and the Jazz Tded are two different cars) .

BS : I think you ought to check out the Fabia before hand to the Jazz and as an overall package the Fabia is the one for powerful petrol hatchback.smiley1.gif

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Well i like Jazz too but i feel should have atleast one car which have some great features like i20, even when i chose Jetta over many others, i overlook features completely so i think why everytime should go for quality at expensive price compromising features.

Well my family is hell bent upon Jazz, though we are yet to TD it. Though i am not a fan of Jazz, after owning a City for almost 8years, i am too in favour of Honda, we still love our City & it can still serve for atleast 2years but my mom wants a change since she doesnt drives Jetta which was meant for her & so she wants a premium hatch replacing her City.

Yesterday we went to check out Jazz but due to some reasons car was not available for TD, the Skoda showroom was just next door & i almost convinced my parents to take a visit but at last moment my mom denied to visit coz she doesnt likes the Fabia's rear at all, infact she hates it. Overall i also found Fabia to be a good car, really premium as far as space & quality are concerned & now with attractive price tag makes it even better deal.

We are getting 57k discount on Jazz standard & OTR price comes to around 7.6lacs, also there are no discounts on Jazz X, also i am more interested in fitting after market alloys so that doesnt matters much. The color would probably be Silver or White in Jazz & White or Black if its i20.

We TD'ed i20 yesterday, though she liked it but she says Jazz seating position was much nicer, & my father says Jazz looks more upmarket & premium while looks wise i prefer i20 over anyother hatch for its smooth, sporty & stylish stance, typically european.

Jazz owners please pour in your suggestions, hows the ride of Jazz, have heard that its Harsh, please confirm this as i cant live with poor ride quality.

Also should i wait for Etios hatch, though then i have to wait till march & then the usual pre-booking & atleast 2months for delivery, the cheap system that has again started since a year.

@BS Went all the way to Jaipur in a friend's Jazz. The engine is decent enough but just about. It would be great if it had a little more power but its not something that would bother you a lot unless you drive a lot on the highway.

The only major negetive is that the ride on the rear seat can be very harsh. But

since you said your mother will be driving it herself, it should not be a problem.

@BS?Went all the way to Jaipur in a friend's Jazz. The engine is decent enough but just about. It would be great if it had a little more power but its not something that would bother you a lot unless you drive a lot on the highway.

?

The only major negetive is that the ride on the rear seat can be very harsh. But

since you said your mother will be driving it herself' date=' it should not be a problem.
[/quote'] The engine power is not an issue, since i am considering only 1.2petrols in all other hatches, i found Honda has the best one, also for highways we have Jetta so probably it will not go on highways except one or two religious trips to Shirdi. The harsh ride at rear is a shock since all Honda's have great ride quality, though my mother will be driving it mostly, after some months it would also go to our construction site, mostly because my parking doesnt provides me the luxury of taking any car at anytime, i have to take which one is last. Although even on the bad roads most of time will be 2 of us sitting in front seat i.e me & my father.

@BS: If I were you' date=' I'll just go for the Jazz. It's having some good deals too now to the tune of some 55k and you can haggle for more, since you have a '03 City. Jetta and Jazz will be a pretty sight in your portico.

[/quote'] ahh haa, dont forget my cuty little Spark too DD.

Also day before yesterday i filled out an inquiry form for new Skoda fabia at their website & got a call today as to which variant in Fabia i am considering, also what are the other cars in the consideration. While talking i also mentioned regarding a concern owning a Skoda car due to lack of company support & cheatings/frauds by dealers. She said thats the things of past, thats not an issue with new Skoda cars, the company have improved & dealerships experience have gone much better. Atleast they accepted that they were bad...i guess time is changing them...

Though my parents have denied for Fabia, i will still go for a TD & if am convinced will try to convince my mom too, i feel that Fabia has a great feel into it especially when you get inside the car.

If the harsh ride at the rear and the price do not bother you than there is no better car than Jazz out theresmiley2.gif. By the way since the car is for your mother she might like the metallic light blue colour. It looks goodsmiley1.gif.