chakrarv

Uneven tyre wear, is Maruthi or the Tyres

I have an Sx4 which runs Uni directional tyres, my brother-in-law has a Swift VDI which also runs Uni directional tyres, my cousin owns a Fabia which also runs Uni directional tyres.... while Sx4 and the Swift has severe problems with uneven tyre wear (the inside looks like it will run another 5000 kms but the outer treads are completely gone) whereas the Fabia has no such problems.  All the cars have run close to 45000 kms.  Now, is this a problem inherent for all the Maruti cars, the service station says it is because of the Uni directional tyres which cannot be rotated inside out....is this really true?

...  Uni directional tyres ...

Oh !   This is news to me. 

Are all Swift, SX4 and Fabia use only Uni directional tyres ? 

Or, they are only after market fitments ?

Let me check tyres of my two cars.  Tomorrow morning, I will.

What we get as Stocks are not uni directional, so you would have bought one( something like the Yoko ES 100 or S Drive), and 45K Kms on a uni is pretty normal. Period.

The reason on Fabia could be, it is not as Fun 2 Drive as Swift/SX4, so it could be less wear 'n tear. again Period.

SX4 comes with bridgestone turanzas alright. But Swift VDi is not supposed to come with unidirectional tyres. It must be JK tornados or MRF ZV2K which are very bad tyres.

Turanzas are soft compound rubber. So 45K km is ok for such tyre wear. What you can do is "tyre rotation" and "alignment and balancing" job done by a good tyre dealer.

Swift doesn't comes with Stock Uni-directional tyres, whereas SX4 might.

But the problem with Marutis is due to their lighter & fragile Suspension components as compared to Skoda's, which are also more prone to such troubles & wears out differently from the Skoda/VWs.

Similar is the case with Honda & corresponding VWs in the higher segments too.

Wheel Alignment & Balancing at proper Intervals might help in the long run.

Very typical problem. We have to check more SX 4. Though we can not tech the lesson of alignment to a SX 4 owner and this is just the reverse case of misalignment. When wheels get misalignment the inner surface intends to wear faster whereas situation is reverse here.

Alok Mathur2010-10-15 02:38:40