gego&bones

Is there a braking problem with the swift/ dzire?

Hi everybody,

I have a swift dzire Ldi, I have it now for a year plus, covered 25000kms, get the car regularly serviced and checked.

This nerve wreaking incident happened on the madurai-bangalore road near karur. For those of you who don't know this is an expressway and one effortlessly touched 17kmph. Later while i driving, a truck suddenly decided to cut a bullock cart (believe me bullock carts on toll expressway)without checking the rear view mirror. I was driving at 150 or so and suddenly braked. I felt as if it took a full day for the brakes to apply- the brakes came on so late. It was a horrific incident. Luckily for me my car was loaded with some luggage and didn't sway to the side. I stopped under the rear end of the truck....a few cms away from the trucks rear tyres. I could see smoke coming from my front tyres, but fortunately i didn't crash into the rear of the truck. I blasted my entire vocabularly with the choicest of words from wren and martin at the truck driver....I surely wanted to hit him.

But trust me guys, after that incident I'm sh*t scared to cross 120 kmph in my swift?

I did a little research and found that majority of the swifts have a braking problem when you cross 120 kmph.

I sincerely hope maruti does something to rectify this.

At that speed; be thankful that nothing serious happened. Anything below an Civic/Corolla will be found wanting in braking power. LDI doesn't have ABS and has rear drum brakes, so thats all the braking you can expect from it; nothing wrong with the car really. Don't carry such speeds especially when following a truck: (at any distance) they have a mind of their own and don't usually indicate if they are turning. They are ones that keep our 1.3 billion population in check on the highways. I think you owe God Almighty a long sincere prayer. 

This is always the risk we carry at high speeds on Indian highways. A car without ABS makes even more scary! a bit of sensible driving would add to the driving pleasure. Though modern day Indian highways are lot better than wat they were but driving habits lik mentioned above will always make life risky on high speeds smiley19.gif

Thank God you're saved doc.

Swifts & Dzires are supposed to be having this braking trouble, which is partly due to its;

-Skinny Tyres &

-Non-ABS brakes.

Switching over to Bigger tyres, probably 175 or 185s will solve the Trouble upto Some extent, but not the fully..  

Read more about it at similarly discussed thread below;

@geogon- thank god Your safe.

The brakes in swift problematic they take their own time to act even in ABS version , same problem with ritz also

please drive safely , don't drive so fast -Remember someone is waiting for you in home

Take care

Instantaneous Braking at higher speed might have led to brake fade (due to overheating) and then the fading might have reduced and thus you feel late brake application .

Three thing to improve your braking

1. Upgrade to 195/60R15 tyres with alloys asap to experience much improvement

2. Get better quality brake pas as the OE ones are not designed for emergency braking at those speeds.

3. Sell your car and buy a car which comes with ABS.

You are extremely lucky.  May be all your previous prayers have been answered by the Lord. 

While your luck (and those prayers) had saved you, why you were driving at 150 kmph ? 

Driving at that speed (of 150+ kmph) is fraught with certain risk than driving at a certainly mangeable speed (of around 80 to 100 kmpl).   On our Indian roads, you hardly save less than half an hour at that speed, irrespective of your distances.

And, at that speed, you are wasting a lot of fuel. 

Think all these factors and drive safely.  At a moderately, manageable and safe speed which will give you good mileage. 

Sorry, I could not resist myself from sharing these few thoughts.

@ durango: yes sir i agree truck drivers have a mind of their own

@ nishu and @ spock: thanks all u guys for the concern. Next car i buy will definitely have ABS.

@rssh: I avoid crossing 120 kmph since then.

I will upgrade to bigger tyres at first tyre change.

selling and buying a new swift Dzire Zdi is out of question- its costing 8.5 lacs on road in bangalore.

But defiinitely the next car i buy will surely have ABS.