Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Hyosung GT650R FI and ST7 FI coming to India

The first lot is already underway to be shipped from S.Korea in CKD and will be arriving in Feb 2011 and the bikes will be launched in March 2011.

The show room for the bikes is being prepared at at furious pace here at Pune, I don't know how they plan the ASS at 4.8 lacs for the sports it sure is going to be pricy, for a S.Korean model with hardly any brand image like a Honda I wonder how some one is going to sink 4.8 lacs for the bike in my view 2.5 lacs would have been a ideal starting price.

With Harley starting its CKD operations in India we can get a Harley for around 5 lacs so why would anyone buy a bike from a Korean manufacturer with hardly any brand image... unless the product is fantastic.

The Gt650R looks more like a just above average bike. In fact i would much rather plump for a Ninja or the new Honda 250cc bike.I might have even considered the Mojo if it were'nt for the looks

The bike that I feel holds more promise is the ST7. I know that being a cruiser it would face off against the Harley's. But it looks so good especially the twin exhausts

About the FT650r i will say it is brilliant price keeping in mind that the ninja 250 costs 3.5lakh on road and has got 34bhp sure it wouldnt have the chasis of the ninja but for that money one is getting 73bhp below his butt and the riding position is comfortable like a sports-tourer.

About the ST-7 what can i say?maybe its 2-yr late with the harley priced  so close to it i hardly find a market for this bike but according to various magzines the ride quality is better than the harley but it just doesnt have the legendary brand name that harley has!

The company has a low brand equity.There are competing brands from top bike makers that may have a better identity for the buyer.The cheapest Harley Davidson too comes for around Rs 6.5 L on road.My point is that if I am a buyer, I will anyday prefer a Honda, Yamaha, KTR or a Harley for the price.

Hyosung had collaborated with Kinetic about 7-8 years ago and had launched a CBU 250 cc bike. It did not sell well.

And if such collaborations fail due to poor sales, the buyer is hit the worst because spares supply comes to an end.