Comfortdriver

Wheel base

Longer wheel base means high speed stability .Actually in India long wheel base means more radius to turn and the suspension wont be comfortable on the pot hole . You have more advantage if you increase width with wheel base .

Longer wheel base means high speed stability .Actually in India long wheel base means more radius to turn and the suspension wont be comfortable on the pot hole . You have more advantage if you increase width with wheel base .

Hi,

Please do eloborate on why the width of the wheel base would be an advantage in India and also why the longer wheel base would result in less comfort in potholes.

Thanks

I don't know exactly how wheelbase translates to poor rides over potholes, but a longer wheelbase definitely adds to the interior space, especially legroom. We can clearly see that all the "small" concept cars at the latest motor shows have their wheels pushed out to the corners, greatly increasing their wheelbase with respect to length. This is the main feature that enables cars like iQ and Up to have a reasonable amount of space on the inside..

I don't know exactly how wheelbase translates to poor rides over potholes' date=' but a longer wheelbase definitely adds to the interior space, especially legroom. We can clearly see that all the "small" concept cars at the latest motor shows have their wheels pushed out to the corners, greatly increasing their wheelbase with respect to length. This is the main feature that enables cars like iQ and Up to have a reasonable amount of space on the inside..
[/quote']

I agree, I can also understand the stability aspect, but I dont get the corelation of the longer and wider wheel base to ride quality and comfort.

Streaching wheel base means more length = more weight => to maintain good stability strenghten the suspension and more stability = more tire pressure . Well an example can be Passat as it has more pressure for rough road package.

A Longer Wheel base will mean a lot of interior space and will make turning and reversing a big ache ' date=' i dont know about the stability

regards,

Priya
[/quote']

I think the stability has to do with the longer and wide wheel base as well, but I don't understand how the ride quality and comfort will become worse (or better) with longer wheel base.

Actually taking into account of science longer wheel base has nothing to do with ride quality but in real world longer wheel base means prone to belly scraping and companies stiffen the suspension and higher pressure of the tires so that the car doesn't hit that bump.

Actually taking into account of science longer wheel base has nothing to do with ride quality but in real world longer wheel base means prone to belly scraping and companies stiffen the suspension and higher pressure of the tires so that the car doesn't hit that bump.

Agreed... So the benefits are...

1. Larger cabin space

2. Better stability

and the cons are...

1. higher ground clearance required, so that the bottom does not get scraped.

and there is not impact on ride quality.

could someone explain whats the use of wheel balancing and alignment?

This a out of context and has no direct relationship to wheel base.

Wheel balancing reduces wheel vibration and hence wear and tear (both tyre and mechanical), and gives better comfort.

Alignment makes the car run straight and reduces tyre wear. If the alignment is out then you will have the tyres scrubbing sideways, leading to both higher wear and fuel consumption. With misalignment you may be forced to use a small steering offset to run straight. If it is similar on both sides then there will be still be additional side scrub as well excessive steering effort. Also, in extreme cases the car may not maintain its direction.

Wheel balancing should be done every 3 years to check if the wheel is aligned properly mostly alloy wheel have an advantage over this.

rssh, did you mean 3 months..? but i am used to correct the alignment when the need arises... and balancing when the tire rotation is done.. at every 5000kms...

hey guys.... what does wheel balancing mean? whats being balanced here' date=' balanced with what? am sorry if this is the silliest of questions one may ask to you car geeks... [/quote']

Why dont you start a new thread for Wheel balancing and aligntment

regards,

priya

hey guys.... what does wheel balancing mean? whats being balanced here' date=' balanced with what? am sorry if this is the silliest of questions one may ask to you car geeks... [/quote']

harryccc,

if the weight distribution is not uniform throughout the whole wheel circumference, then it will cause vibration, since the wheel is rotating at high speeds...

this non-uniform weight distribution may be due to the non-uniform wear of tyre, bending of wheel disc etc... so inorder to make the weight uniform throught, we are attaching weights..