creativebala

What Nano needs to sell more?

We all would accept the Nano is a wonder, a marvel, a Indian's dream...etc. Its so poor sale on Oct has to be taken seriously.

dc-design-220000-tata-nano_100303182_l.j

So what Nano needs to sell in good volume.

1. Nano now desperately the CRDI.

For a common man, driving a bike cost's about Rs 1.50 per Km*( i.e, 45Kms per litre of Petrol) where as driving a bike cost's about Rs 3 per Km( i.e, 20 Kms per litre of Petrol).

If Nano CRDI is out, it would cost about Rs 1.5/Km*( i.e, 25Kms per litre of Diesel), so this would attract bikers.

*I've kept aside the maintainance cost.

The Other reason being, TATA is perceived as a good Diesel car maker in India

2. Preferably VARIOMATIC

Many people who has other cars, prefer to buy a nano for its size mainly for City commuting, so having a Variomatic option would make Old Age People, Ladies and also common man to wait in queue for this machine.

3. Try to bring the AIR or Electric version soon.

Nano would make better sense on alternate fuel.

4. Try to bring in its V2 variant soon 'n sell it side by side.

Try to bring the V2 soon and sell it along with existing Nano as how older Indica & Vista are selling.

The Nano V2 or the Europa must have PS, ABS(o), proper openable boot, powerful engine.

5. Solve the Problem 'n kill the MATCH BOX image.

Need I have to talk more here.

6. The other important small features

Re-place the battery or cover it properly.

Atleast make the Boot glass openable

Put in some good silencer and make it sound like a car

7. If possible make a FUNKIER variant

Make a funkier variant that is fully loaded. Make this variant in such a way that it makes a statement, with good alloys, bluetooth, CL,..etc.

Something like this,

bmw-m3-gt2-art-car_800x0w.jpg

By doing all( or many) of the above, Tata can sell more Nano's than Alto.

@Tata, don't let you First Mover advantage to go off. Also don't make others to learn from your mistake.
creativebala2010-11-02 16:27:50

Disappointing figures for Nano. On one hand Tata is targeting 20000 cars per month in future ' date=' on other hand they are unable to sell even 1/3rd nos. compared to Indica. What's going wrong?

[/Quote']

From OCTOBER 2010 CAR SALES

It'll not be possible with only this variant.

A basic customer will want to compare this with power with a 800cc Maruti. The only answer to this question is that, the nano's engine is audible, and TATA needs to make it silent. Nano is known for its safety(it has passed EuroNCap test with 3 or 4 stars with the current vehicle and not the Europa!).

Also more models need to be churned out of this platform.

A diesel, an Electric, a CNG/LPG variant and a more powerful 800cc variant is required. Also a longer wheel base (Europe) model with better seats and battery moved into the bonnet (such modifications) will be required.[/Quote]

You are right. More variants should be brought in for the bouquet to look attractive. Also more vibrant colours are required to make nano look attractive for the fairer sex.

shanthanreddyp2010-11-02 16:40:34

Thread: OCTOBER 2010 CAR SALES

Please don't jump to premature conclusions about the Nano's sales

If you look at the fact about Nano' date=' TATA has not yet delivered it's initial booking of One lakh vehicles yet. It should first finish these bookings. If you say about 10% of their customers have cancelled, 90k vehicles are to be delivered plus some retained bookings (nearly 20-30k) and TATA has till date delivered only 70k vehicles.

TATA still have these 35-50k deliveries pending, which too need to be done. Which is why nationwide sales has not yet opened.

If TATA sales have fallen then why are these pending still there and why has nationwide sales not been opened?

[/Quote']

It is the production hitch which has hit the company badly due to component supply and production halt at the Pune plant.shanthanreddyp2010-11-04 17:30:46

Tata Motors plans to offer its customers an upgrade Nano Plus with upgraded features.

Sources say work is going on in full swing in the high end version of Nano.

The features of the new Tata Nano Plus will include a much powerful engine, a 1000 cc engine as against the older 623 cc engine for more power. It will also include ABS, alloy wheel, integrated music system and improved interiors. The car will be on the lines of Nano Europa and will compete with Maruti Alto and Chevrolet Spark. Delivery of the car won

I expect a little extended platform, a 800 cc engine,

improved dashboard Power steering & windows, all equal sized wheels, battery under the bonnet, operable rear door (hatch), left sided rear view mirrors, ABS & 2 Airbags.

Should be able to clock around 140 kmph.

I would be ready to pay nearly 2.8 - 3.0L Diesel on-road (ABS & 2 Airbags could be for extra pymt) Hyderabad for this vehicle.shanthanreddyp2010-11-06 07:56:03

Economic times reported that the new Nano Diesel to be launched soon.

It will come in both diesel variants, i.e., Turbo & CRDi (DiCOR) too.

Honeywell, the maker of turbochargers for engines, reported that it is working on a turbocharger for the Nano. It is a 900-1000cc engine to be mated to this turbocharger under development.

Also BOSCH too announced that its in an advAnced stage of developing a Common-Rail fuel injector for the same capacity diesel engine.

ET expects this new Nano to roll out by Q2 FY2011 (Jul-Sep 2011)

shanthanreddyp2010-11-10 07:16:40

Tata Nano to have more safety features

In the backdrop of several reports of Nano cars catching fire, its manufacturer TATA MOTORS plans to introduce additional safety features in the small car.

The Nano car is a very reliable and safe vehicle. The company has

undertaken a second check and found that the vehicle has a safe design,

Tata Motors Group CEO and Managing Director Carl-Peter Forster said

here today.

"The company has taken up several

corrective measures and will now offer cover tool on catalytic

converter to prevent the car from catching fire. It will also install

fuse in electrical components to avoid short circuits," he said.

shanthanreddyp2010-11-10 07:21:34

how about gettin a better muffler which doesnt make the 600 odd cc engine sound like a TEMPO TRAX from behind or when it passes by you..

You may be right. All 1 or 2 cylinder engines including the Greaves products are too nosier. Though the engine feels nosier on the outer side, cabin noise is quite low. But the AC sound is quite audible.

TATA is relatively new to Petrol engines. As an when it evolves refinement keep improving.

But now in this competent world refinement should come in quicker and I feel TATA should have put its feet into petrol variants or petrol models much earlier rather than concentrate only on diesel variants which has spoiled its image as most of it's cars moved into taxi segments.

shanthanreddyp2010-11-10 13:54:54

Tata Motors said on Friday it will start selling its small car Tata Nano in six more states across the country from Nov. 22.

The vehicle maker said it will now open sales in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.

Good to note today that Tatas have made the Nano sales `open' in 6 more states.  Good to see that Nano, at last, is now readily available from the showrooms (subject to some chosen-car-color-related delays).  This will certainly help the sales.  With so many options available in the market today, a buyer is not willing to wait for his car.  For such people, this is something to cheer about.  Now, one can see the car, touch the car, drive it, see all the colors and then choose and pay.  That's really good for the consumer considering that some car-makers are accepting bookings much before they launch the cars.   They need to learn a thing or two from Tatas.

Worst ever sales figure of Nano. Tata wouldn't even dreamt of such figures.

Just 506.

2 very good products dying slowly in Tata's hands. I was expecting this car to do sales better than Alto, but this shows Tata's R&D.

Bring in your CRDI or e-Nano soon. Dot all the i's and strike all the ts. Make nano a Perfect product.

I am surprised too.

How come a car which got huge bookings, lottery allotments, very long waiting list etc., etc., could end up with such a low figure of just 506 ?

Something needs to be done urgently by the Tata Thinktank. 

One of the main reasons seems to be the reluctance of banks to finance the prospective buyers (low income earners) who are finding it very difficult to get loans, as they are unable to produce IT Returns, salary slips etc.,.  And, without these basic documents, the banks are refusing loans for such class of customers who are the prime target group of Nano. 

Tata Finance needs to do a quick assessment and come out with suitable finance options.

My sister wants to buy the Lx nano. Comes around 2.2 on road Bangalore if im right. Showrooms have Nano's ready to roll of the floor in bangalore. Our Dealer Prerana motors call up 3 times in a day to "confirm" my booking.

I for one smell something fishy here;

1) Ready to roll of the line Nano's in a city like Bangalore where roads are at best, well "NARROW" and no BUYERS ??

2) Dealers are so exuberant when interacting about the Nano it seems they want to get rid off the "fire" problematic Nano's , and recieve the latest Nano's which are supposed to be "fire proof" smiley2.gif

3) OR is it the classic Indian car buyer syndrome; " 2011 ki MODEL hi khareedna hai / I will only buy a 2011 model come what may"

I have advised my sister to not book a nano until atleast i see the latest fire proof Nano's in front of my eyes

@vr' date=' its because Nano sales is so poor. Even I enquired about a Nano in Chennai Tafe, I got 3-4 follow up calls. Tata must have urged its dealer to push the Nano.[/quote']

Don't worry CB, I got around seven calls from people from Pune and then from Concorde, Ambattur and then from Velachery, before they gave me a TD for the Fiat Linea T-Jet.

@vr' date=' its because Nano sales is so poor. Even I enquired about a Nano in Chennai Tafe, I got 3-4 follow up calls. Tata must have urged its dealer to push the Nano.[/quote']Don't worry CB, I got around seven calls from people from Pune and then from Concorde, Ambattur and then from Velachery, before they gave me a TD for the Fiat Linea T-Jet.

So did you happen to drive the T-Jet? Please post your experience.

The new TV ad is awesome smiley20.gif,

but Tata should have added it's real price in the ad to change the one lack tag.

Radia should be asked to burn one or two i10's and Alto's every other day and ask our paid news makers to cover it live.

The problems Nano is facing are all self created probems.

Let me summarize:

1.Design Flaws-a)fuel tank capacity - 15 litres - even the humble alto,800 have double the capacity

b)safety- what good is structural safety if Brakes are poor - even 800 has Disc in front , even a Top end Nano doesn't have it Why? even though it sells close to 2 lakhs

c)Fixed Rear hatch - even a a montana had a glass hatch

d)624cc two cylinder - sounds like a three wheeler and fuel economy which is surpased by Indigo CS Sedan( don't say its diesel) or almost matched by alto/800

e)Battery below the driver's seat is really a big flaw and safety risk incase if battery braeks - the battery in Nnao is not kept in a plastic or a metal container but exposed.

2.Quality Issues - The car this cheap is bound to have quality in form rubber but electrical fires are strict no no

3.Tata motor's Marketing and Mangement - The people working in Tata's Mangement  are as imaginative as policy makers of Soviet Union  and Eastern Bloc  

the adverts,marketing of Nano , failure to allay apprehension of people,stubborness to accept any problems with the vehicle and refusal to recall- This shows a government office mentality which Tata himself acknowledged 10 years go but as they say that you can't straighten the Dog's Tail.

4.HYPE - Yes this is the single cause for all problem.Tata himself is to blame - He only created the Buzz surrounding the vehicle 6 years ago and almost delivered it had it not been for singur fiasco

so whats the solution - 1.Accept the reality Nano is not a one lakh car

2. introduce more features such as power streering

ABS, airbags , more variants with powerful engine , extended wheelbase.electric variants, disc brakes all around , automatic , diesel

3. recall all the vehicles

4. Accept that there was a mistake  and apologize -

5. develop better engines with fuel economy to match bikes

These policy if impleted carefully will ensure Nano has a good future ahead

Tata Nano wins the Design Oscars: GOOD DESIGN AWARD

The Tata Nano has received the prestigious GOOD DESIGN? Award for 2010, which is conferred annually by The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design together with The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies. The Nano won the award this year for in the category of transportation.
The GOOD DESIGN award was founded in Chicago in 1950. The award recognizes new, visionary, and innovative product concepts, invention and originality. The award is given for stretching the envelope beyond what is considered ordinary product and consumer design. In 2010, GOOD DESIGN celebrated its 60-year anniversary as the world