grpanesar

sound from suspension of my Spark

I have a Dec 2007 Spark. Whenever I go over a speed breaker, I get squeaking / lurching sound from the suspension.

Last winter also the same problem was there and the service person had told that this may happen in winters and they had done some adjustments. again during regular service in June'10 I had told them about this and they had done some adjustments again and this sound was manageable.

But now again as the winnter is approaching, this sound has become quite troubling.

I would like to know if  it is  normal in winters or there is some problem with the suspension? I need experts advice as my car will be shortly out of warranty.

Seems that there is a problem with the struts. The struts contain fluids under pressure and can make noises if there is a slight leak or if there is air inside it. But that sound should be similar to a wet shoe sole after walking on water. If the sound is mechanical then it can be because of bent arms. Most suspension joints are lubricated for life. So I do not think there is any dryness with approach of winter. Since this happens only in winters it can be assumed that it is a problem with the strut oils.

But this winter and suspension noises is not correct I guess. I never had such problems.

A few questions :

1. Does the sound come from just one wheel or all the wheels ?

2. Is the noise like breaking or soft ?

3. how many kms clocked?

4. Do you often encounter bad roads?

5. Was any suspension jobs done before ?

sb-alto2010-11-09 05:35:44

Thank you sb-alto.

Yes, the sound is like it comes from a punjabi leather jutie.

It comes forms all the wheels. Is comes from front as the wheels hit the Speed breaker and from the rear when the car comes off it.

It seems to be mechanical sound as if some old spring is pressed and then realesed.

The car has clocked 25K kms.

I am staying in Chandigarh and mostly driving in the city, where roads are genereally good. Occasionally I drive on Chandigarh - Delhi Highway.

Rear shock absorbers were changed in Dec 2008 due to noise from rear. But that time noise was different and was coming only from rear. 

Check the brake pads, too. I think if your Spark is within warranty, dealership may be doing some time delaying tactic to work on your car; so better make the right 'noises' when you take the car for service and register a complaint. I think your cars at the fag end of its 'Chevy promise honeymoon' so better move fast.

Durango Dude2010-11-09 07:01:56

Thanks a lot for suggestions.

The front disc brakes also make sound while braking. This sound almost goes when I wash the car and wash off brake dust but reappears the next day.

I think warranty will expire on 30 Nov as Invoice date is 1st Dec 07.

@Grpanesar :

Yes, it is a problem with the gas filled/fluid filled shock struts. Had it been the brakes alone you would have heard the sound too often. But for safety check the brakes too. I think if all the shocks were changed, you got a set of faulty ones. Changing the shocks, bush mounts and brake pads should help to get rid of all noises. Lodge a complaint if you see negligence on GMs part. Be quick. Work should be free

@grpanesar;

Spark comes with Gas-filled Shock Absorbers all-around.

So No fluid-temprature problem for sure, problem might be either due to whole defective Strut unit or due to defective Rubber Inserts over the Struts, which presents various noises w.r.t the External Temprature changes, might be due to their Hardening.

Visited the Service Centre. Sadly, they informed that, for the last two months they accept cars for service only with prior appointment.

I have been given appointment of tomorrow 1000 hrs. So, will go to service centre againn tomorow.

Yesterday, I went to Service centre.

They road tested my car twice. In first roadtest they told that this sound is quite normal and tightened the underbody nut,  bolts and did some lubrication. After that they again took the roadtest and rufused to agree that the any sound is coming from suspension. Whereas the suspension sound is persisting as it is.

I am thinking to write to Chevrolet's Cutomer Care alongwith a copy to thier head. 

I will be thankfull if somebody can provide me E-mail ID of Chevrolet's Customer Care Head.

Around 1400 Hrs, Asstt. manager (Service) alongwith  a shop floor suprvisor came to my rsidence to again take a road test of my car. They drove on some speed breakers around my residence.

At last, they agreed that sound comes from both ,front & rear, while going over speed breakers. But they said that it is coming from shockers because they are compressed & decompressed on speedbreakers.

In their view, it is normal and they can do nothing about it.

Please advice what to do?

I guess email the customer service and give one hard copy to work shop. In mean time get check from carnation or branded work shop for a second opnion, for matter of self satisfactio or incase you need to take them in consumer court ...

The GM customer care took prompt action on my complain. They inspected my car on 16th and replaced all the 04 shock absorbers.  Now there is no sound from suspension and ride has also become smoother.

Thank you all, for advice.