sarabjeet

Will Hyundai join the 3 cylinder race ?

Hyundai has recently launched i10 with 3 cylinder 1 ltr Kappa engine in Brazil , will it hit the Indian shores in i10 or will we see it in a different car ?

hyundaii10faceliftfront.jpg

Hyundai has successfully developed and launched a tiny engine in Brazil. The newest arrival in small car power plant array is a 1.0ltr 3 cylinder engine developed by utilizing  Hyundai

Hyundai should bring this engine tuned differently to deliver better FE and lesser power, probably in a smaller car. Already there are posts about the low FE of the i10; ARAI figures nothwithstanding. I think Hyundai is reserving this engine for the Hyundai HA.

I will not be in the least surprised. A cylinder less reduces the manufacturing cost and bulk. You may have to add a counterbalance shaft or something. Also, you can use an existing power plant and take a cylinder off - say the Kappa 1.2 being 'slimmed' to a 900. Of course people have gone the other way - like the Maruti 1162 mill in the Estilo, WagonR, etc. was a 4/3 job on the 800 engine.