creativebala

ACI FirstDrive - Toyota Etios

Looks neat considering its a an entry level sedan & sedan form of a Hatchback. Nissan now really need to work hard as this segment is getting tougher by the day.

Also, the interiors now with better pictures looks really cheap, i mean grey with red inserts & seat with the hint of black looks so downmarket. Why nowadays these companies are trying different cheap colors for their high-end variants like with Figo(atleast they gave an option), Ritz & now this, yukkk...

i am posting my reply again from another Toyota Etios here

Just now got a call from Toyota dealer regarding Etios' date=' she said bookings starts from 1st December, while TD will be provided at the end of year. I said, i have already booked a sedan, provide me an early TD, so that i can book ASAP, if i like it. There was no positive reply.

Anyways the car isnt a looker but then this segment is not for looks, reading the review it seems Toyota has hit the bull's eye, comfortable, spacious, nice driveability, excellent FE summing up with Toyota's huge brand name, quality & reliability will make this sell like hot cakes. Expect some waiting upto 3months atleast like was the case with Figo, Polo, Vento, etc & every other new car, nice tactics to increase demand & dealer margin through 'ON'. The interiors also doesnt seems good, also the main factor will no be pricing, heard that it will start from 6.99lacs, if thats the case i doubt its success because then higher model will then touch 8.5-9.5OTR which will directly target City, Linea, Fiesta & Vento, obviously then we have better options. Hope for the best, hope we get atleast one nice entry level sedan from a very good brand.[/quote']

This will be the final nail in Logan's coffin. By the time M&M pares Logan's length and brings it into the market as the new Logan it will be forgotten. When premium brands go lower down it rings alarm bells for those below viz MSIL, Hyundai, Ford. With Etios' & Brio's entry the hatchback segment will be a boiling cauldron.

The car looks average. I'm waiting to TD it soon. The engine is an old powerhorse and isn't as refined as K12.

Toyota will never launch a diesel straight away, or petrol car wont sell. They will launch the diesel only mid next year, after they have enough of bookings for petrol. Im expecting the starting price to be exactly similar to Dzire or maybe 10-20k more.

.This 900kg Nano sedan won't survive Indian roads.Toyota itself says it is not built with international quality standards.This crapios may sell initially due to the Toyota badge but this will ruin the companies reputation in the long run

@Nishu

This can hardly be called a nano attempt. If the estimated pricing of 5.25 lakhs is correct, then look at the fact that there as been no complaints regarding quality of material used.

Many cars use central instrument cluster. I dont see any harm in doing that if what they are providing is a great car.

This car has done kilometers of testing covering every part of the country, and one thing I am pretty confident about is that it wont catch fire. smiley2.gif

This can hardly be called a nano attempt. If the estimated pricing of 5.25 lakhs is correct' date=' then look at the fact that there as been no complaints regarding quality of material used.

Many cars use central instrument cluster. I dont see any harm in doing that if what they are providing is a great car. [/quote']

I'm referring here word-NANO to the Low-Cost Tata-like approach Toyota used for its design upto the Production car not means the Small effort by Toyota or the Central Instrument Cluster which is purely a Co-Incidence.

Even its Gear Shifter shroud also looks almost same as that of Nano.

& I don't think that its going to be priced at Rs.5.25 lacs, considering their High Official's statement, regarding Premium for their Etios twins at AE2010.

& Do Watch the video in the link above by OD, you'll come across Etios's Average Quality bits, Inconsistent Panel Gaps, etc.

This car has done kilometers of testing covering every part of the country' date=' and one thing I am pretty confident about is that it wont catch fire. smiley2.gif [/quote']

Even Nano was tested across the country before its launch for almost 2 million kms as per Tata Motors.

& No One can claim 100% Assaurance against fire incidents, as Fire Incidents are also reported of Lambos & Ferraris too. 

IMO, Polo & Punto will shine further after the Onset of Etios hatch arrival.smiley10.gif
dr_nishu2010-11-26 18:17:15

Ofcourse it is a low cost project. If they wanted to enter with a high cost prject they would have made a sedan form of Yaris, like Honda did with Jazz to create the City. They would have got in a whole new design. Right from the word go, they have been saying that there target is Swift-Dzire combo. In that segment, quality is not of very high standards considering that Dzire and Manza are the leaders there.

They have made the most comfortable car in the class. They have also said that Interior quality is pretty good, with plastic quality average.

With this kind of pricing you cant expect much more.

Also read the last paragraph of the review. keep in mind that reviewers have a pretty good idea about the pricing of the car.

The Etios is a car you can buy with your eyes shut because, like most Toyotas, you can

@rahul;

Lets Wait & Watch till Dec01-2010.

But I still say, Who wanna buy Car with Bare-basic design & features for 5-7 lacs. Customers demands have reached to better levels now.

& Don't forget Toyota's Saga of Recalls..

IMO, Upcoming Nissan's Sunny seems still better than this Toyota.

This faced out old Corolla patch worked car, ie:  Etios looks not too bad if the price is 5.25 lakhs.  The competitors like Dzire, Ikon, Indigo, Logan etc are also not very good lookers. 1.2 litre version of sedan will be a good option to further lower the price. As most Indians look for durability and economy to maintain, this will surely sell. If the hearse like Qualis was sold well, then Etios will turn out to be a better seller for Toyota.

One more bad news for SX-4 also. It is really great to have a TOYOTA badge in 5.25-6.0l bracket (entry c segment). The central instrument cluster is just an identification that owner is moving in a cheaper TOYOTA. Very disappointing. 

None of the auto journalists have commented on " How Toyota have made such a light weight sedan without compromising the safety standrads." IMO providing option of ABS & airbags on base variants (although good) hints something.

Toyota's logan (Etios) I see people will buy because of Toyota badge and I don't think they'll launch diesel version any time soon as puny size 1.4L D4D is already doing duty in Corolla.

In Taxi segment 'J' version with CNG kit seems to have lot of potential. But I don't think its going to be popular with young urban segment. But I am shocked to see in the name of cost cutting such horrible designs are still made by the car manufacturer which has the highest recall history.