Silent Thunder

Why do we need two headlamps in a car?

This is one of those unusual questions that occured to in my mind:

Why do all cars (even the wildest concept cars) have only two headlamps?

Why not a single powerful headlamp in the centre and two weaker ones at the side?

Why not one swivelling headlamp?

Why not three normal ones instead of two?

Why not one big headlight pod in the centre with big reflectors?

Do cars use two headlights just because of visibility or aesthetics or is there another reason for doing so?

p.s: by two headlamps, i mean two pairs of high and low beams. i'm not referring to quad headlights or anything like that.. and this IS a serious question, no jokes meant here..

OTHERWISE IT'D BE A CYCLOPS, NOT A CAR. OR SOME LOW COST MANUFACTURERS MAY TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND START PRODUCING CARS WITH ONLY ONE HEADLAMP LIKE ONE REVERSING LIGHT, FOR IKON AND LOGAN. OR THEY MAY PUT IT ON THE OPTIONS LIST, AND START CHARGING YOU FOR THAT TOO, BEWARE. Durango Dude2007-12-07 17:19:53

A car is made appealing to a buyer on the basis of how much it resembles a person, a human being that is. The headlamps, like the two eyes, the grille like the nose (not a snorter, though!), the bumper probably like the mouth, and so on. A single headlamp car wouldn't appeal that much unless your market was made up of one- eyed, or swivel-eyed aliens. And yeah, please don't ponder over what the taillamps in a car would resemble in a human!smiley2.gif

Yep and in some cases........ 

dreamstimegorilla206gq0.jpg

There is no particular reason for two headlights, rally car put more, so do off road vehicles, its about spread of illumination and in this case, the more the better.
FuelRunGod2007-12-16 05:55:38

human mind considers symmetry as beauty............if you see in history,the so called most beautiful people had highly symmetric faces which has also been scientifically proven.

so all cars try to balance the 2 halves of a car.

henc the 2 headlights.....though some have 4..but symmetrically placed.

and gurkha...........good one

Bear in mind some locomotives do have single headlamps but then rail engines don't need a wide vision, in its case its more of a long distance one.Gurkha2007-12-08 09:05:45

One lamp in middle and two small lamps on sides then one may not note the other lamps and have accidents @DD Ikon has 2 reverse lamps SX4 & Logan have one reverse lamps.

One lamp in middle and two small lamps on sides then one may not note the other lamps and have accidents @DD Ikon has 2 reverse lamps SX4 & Logan have one reverse lamps.

If you remember the initial Ikon's had only one reverse lamp and the other was brought on by "popular" demand< read as lampooning by mags such as ACI for it's cost cutting measures>.

Hmmm, thanks for the info guys.. So is aesthetics (and safety) the only reason for the two headlamp phenomenon? Would not a FCX-like car with a LED strip at the centre do good even in the international market?

p.s: I was thinking about coming up with a concept car(just a sketch for some competition) with a single headlamp, but this issue came up to my mind, and hence this thread..

silent thunder.. unleash the designer within you... go ahead with your one headlamp concept... you may be revolutionising the auto industry..

think that.. atleast the tata or renault will buy your idea for their low cost car...

This is one of those unusual questions that occured to in my mind:
Why do all cars (even the wildest concept cars) have only two headlamps?
Why not a single powerful headlamp in the centre and two weaker ones at the side?
Why not one swivelling headlamp?
Why not three normal ones instead of two?
Why not one big headlight pod in the centre with big reflectors?

Do cars use two headlights just because of visibility or aesthetics or is there another reason for doing so?

p.s: by two headlamps' date=' i mean two pairs of high and low beams. i'm not referring to quad headlights or anything like that.. and this IS a serious question, no jokes meant here..
[/quote']

two headlights in a car is like 2 Eyes in a human bieng , well you can see some cars having 2 headlights but only 1 working , if the car has only a single headlight its like a human bieng having only 1 eye , i dont know what design you are upto silent but just told my feeling , whatever you are gonna design hope it will be liked my Loads of people including me and Wish you a great success

regards,

Priya

A car is made appealing to a buyer on the basis of how much it resembles a person' date=' a human being that is. The headlamps, like the two eyes, the grille like the nose (not a snorter, though!), the bumper probably like the mouth, and so on. A single headlamp car wouldn't appeal that much unless your market was made up of one- eyed, or swivel-eyed aliens. And yeah, please don't ponder over what the taillamps in a car would resemble in a human!smiley2.gif[/quote']

Lmao at the tail lamps, although I think exhaust is what you were probably guning for hehe

yes it does helps in saftey too , and at night we usualy judge the vehicle by seeing the number of light if 2 or more then its a car , bus ya lorry and if single light then either its an Auto rikshaw or the Mobike

the Problem is some old cars or some cars have some prob with thier 1 headlight and only 1 headlight works which makes us think that its a mbike then finaly when it appears nearer we know that itz a car!!!

regards,

Priya

Yes, the width of the car is a critical factor to be judged, but it could be overcome if we use two smaller (LED,if possible) lamps at the corners.. It might give the car a really mean look at night.

As for the sketch, i'm just getting started with car sketching, nowhere close to a pro or something. Thought of doing something unusual, hence the idea..

Yes' date=' the width of the car is a critical factor to be judged, but it could be overcome if we use two smaller (LED,if possible) lamps at the corners.. It might give the car a really mean look at night.

As for the sketch, i'm just getting started with car sketching, nowhere close to a pro or something. Thought of doing something unusual, hence the idea..

[/quote']

hmm.. you are right, silent thunder,

but then we will need three fixtures... two at the sides for the small lights.. and one at the middle... for the main light.. then there wont be much cost advantage, if not costlier....