AMG1

Etios Hatchback will be called Etios Liva

20101129_090641_Etios-3_1_1.jpg

Toyota has christened the Etios hatchback the Etios Liva. The name will be officially announced on December 1st in Bangalore when both the saloon and hatchback version of the Etios will be launched. In the same way the Dzire is an extension of the Swift name, the Liva will be a sub-brand of the Etios badge.

The Etios Liva will be powered by a 1.2 litre engine developing around 80bhp. The bantam weight 890kg hatchback promises strong performance without compromising fuel efficiency. Interior space is similar to the Etios saloon and hence the Liva promises to be the most spacious hatchback in its class.

Toyota plans to introduce a 1.4 diesel engine at a later stage for both the Etios saloon and Liva. This diesel will be similar to the one in the Corolla diesel but is unlikely to get the same variable geometry turbo (VGT). Instead a fixed geometry turbo developing around 70bhp is likely to be used as this will offer better fuel consumption and cost less than the VGT.

There is also talk of introducing the saloon

When pronounced rapidly Etios Liva sounds like 'Saliva'. If Toyota wants Indians to 'salivate' they better bring in a designer from Honda: this 'Dhal-Roti' (Thayir-saadham) car doesn't induce too much 'salivation' does it.

Durango Dude2010-11-29 17:42:16

@sanjay sir

IMO Toyota will now start expanding rapidly, because if it needs to sell, it needs to have a big dealership network. I think a dealership would be opening near our home soon. Expect Honda too, as they too would be expanding by the time Brio comes out

I agree with Prof, Toyota needs to spruce up dealer network. In my City too, the dealership is out of the City & add to that the rush of vehicles that turn up for service.

Also like Honda & Skoda the theory of monopoly dealerships is consumer un-friendly.

Toyota Etios needs to sell in really good numbers before the Brio is being launched.Once Brio comes on the streets, i bet its going to be a tough job for the Liva to make a mark in the Indian market.

So another competitor ready to take away Maruti's share of the small car market. MSIL must be in a way thankful also because every new small car launched means a little more burden off its back.

Read about this Liva in another Auto Magazine brought today &

What I can say about this hatchback is that it Seems to be a very Promising car with good shape & contours(than its Sedan version) & looks Sporty too.

Though Interiors are Spacious & are of Same design(with Premier Padmini like Speedo-dial), materials & same quality, but her Wheelbase(2460mm) & weight(890kgs) are considerably less than ETIOS Sedan.

IMO, These two Japaneese giants(Honda & Toyota) will set the New Benchmark in Fuel Efficiency & Performance with their upcoming Light weight cars(Brio & Etios resp). 
dr_nishu2010-11-30 18:35:15

Here are some pics of Toyota's upcoming hatchback-Etios LIVA, which was unveiled few days back;

_DSC3033.jpg_DSC3029.jpg_DSC3015.jpg

To me, It looks much better & Balanced that Etios Sedn on which it's Based.

Ford Figo, Indica Vista & Nissan Micra really need to Worry from Now.

Expect 4 months+ Waiting Period from Day1 after its launch Scheduled for April2011.smiley10.gifsmiley7.gif

i feel the rear has been inspired from micra..

Might be..

But Its a way better Exectuted that her & is better Equipped too.

Any idea on the sticker price?

Expect Rs.3.99-4.4 lacs for the Base Non-PS version & Upto 5.8 lacs for the Top of the line & fully loaded VX version..

Expect Rs.3.99-4.4 lacs for the Base Non-PS version

Haha. I got the catch! We should rather call it STRIPPED OFF version! It does not get any of the modern-day standard features!

So now, at 4Lacs, Toyota is all set to enter into common man's home!

I think PS will be offered in tis one. I expect J variant to be more loaded since this is not going to serve the taxi market like its sedan brother. Also more colour choices would e available in the j variant

With the Etios and Liva, the 1st impression is that Toyota seems to be playing the old fashioned way... HERD mentality. Just copy the leader in the segments and try to offer that little bit extra in terms of features than the leader(here it is extra space and better FE at same price point).A very safe strategy...No doubt both the models seem to come across as very decent looking,VFM models and hence quite appealing. But this strategy will not work for Toyota in the long run especially when the customer tastes shifts toward segment and game changing products.The Etios and Liva look like 1 in many 'herd' products of their respective segments. 

@abhema: <quote>The Etios and Liva look like 1 in many 'herd' products of their respective segments. <unquote>.

I think Toyota needs numbers, so the 'herd' mentality is what they are after. I think both the cars will be superduper hits and the sedan will also threaten the Honda City, too plus also the other 'over priced' players in the field.

Here are some images of the latest 3rd generation Vitz launched in Japan.

It looks quite good from inside and outside. So it is not that they do not have good designers.

The Liva to be launched in India seems to be based on 1st generaion vitz/yaris/echo as named in different countries. It is only their confidence that they can compete with modern hatches in India with an almost 7-8 old design just because of their brand image and pricing.

The Vitz really looks good. both inside and outside. The interiors are better looking than etios liva. The  central A/c vents are similar to honda city.Toyota should have brought  the Vitz in India and renamed it as Etios Liva. The rear quarter profile has similarity with Suzuki SX4 hatch. The Front headlights are similar to that of  current Honda Accord sold in India and USA.swiftvxi062010-12-24 12:32:25

Vitz is just another ugly design from Toyota when compared to it's competitors

Liva is an Echo sedan from 2000 with it's boot cut of,no safety and quality.

Though Figo is an old model too but it's not as old as this crap

Tees Mar Khan and Etios are similar in hype and expectations,one lived for

one day and the other will die down in a year