AMG1

Etios Hatchback will be called Etios Liva

I think Etios will break Honda city's resale value as well. No one will buy a second hand City when they can get a brand new toyota at the same price.?

Hahaha. What a Face-Palm post. No offences.

Even today, there are many cars available in the market at the price of an old City. Still City sells. Do you know why? I know why, and you need to own it to know it!

My uncle has recently come from Canada and we were talking cars this afternoon. He says - "Toyota is being seen as a loser nowadays in the international market due to the large scale recalls and flaws in the cars which should be rectified in the testing of the vehicle itself." And I shook my head in agreement, 'cuz its all true!driftpunk2010-12-26 13:30:23

@driftpunk, let me clarify my friend. I have driven almost every car in India and even own honda city for 3 years and I can tell you honda cars are most unstable cars of the lot, don't believe me drive a VW car  and a honda car(you can choose any model) or even you can test honda city with verna  and drive it above 90 kms/hr and you'll know what I am talking about. These cars are only selling because of you know "bhed chaal". no offense.   

O man!! Get a life. Tall claims, and no game! - Honda Cars are the most unstable

So you saying "bhed-chaal" of selling superb-quality engines ? I recently drove VW Polo for quite a long stretch, being an enthusiast myself, I tested every aspect of the car, no need to say that it is a very good car, everyone knows that, but the engine is SLOW -- lacks a punch - the Turbo Punch is what I'm talking about. I know it has Turbo, I couldn't make out the effect of it. I had to ask the guy sitting with me to reassure. We've all seen that. Drive the i20 - or - Micra. A slight push on the pedal, reveals the entire story. I dont know if you own a Polo or a Verna, I have entirely no issues with that. Go ahead, enjoy your car. Drive above 90 km/hr or at the speed of light; Let me share my experience with you, I drove my City to 192 kmph. I dont know if you have gone at such a speed on your ride. Your quote -- I have driven almost every car in India , whoa man! You're '87 born, and what great guy you are! Driven every car? Even our mod sgiitk would not have done that!

Coming back to the point, And it was at 192 kmph when I started feeling a li'l skeptical about pushing it more ahead 'cuz I wanted to push it to the limit. City I-vtec has electronic fuel cutoff at 195 kmph, I wanted to achieve that!

Aha! Another point comes to my mind, as quoted by you sir, " Drive it above 90 kms/hr and you'll know what I am talking about." Seems like you have not driven any of the modern cars. You talking about just 90 kmph ??? Man, come and sit in any of the modern day cars, and you'll not even come to know when you cross the 100 kmph mark. Thats damn true about our City i-vTec. The refinement has reached heights that were once thought to be unconquerable. If you drive VW Polo, let me tell you my friend, the Noise levels are on the higher side, maybe thats why you feel jitty at 90 kmph!

Re-iterating your point Honda Cars are the most unstable smiley36.gif

Lets move on to another bhed-chaal car, Honda Civic.

Man! What a superb car it is! The refinement is phenomenal. There again you dont come to know about the speed you're going at! And suddenly you look at the digital speedo and pull your foot back from the gas pedal! The stability is phenomenal man!

Re-iterating your point yet again Honda Cars are the most unstable smiley36.gif

Lets take into account, Honda CRV and Honda Jazz. Well I'm tired of explaining the entire thing again and again. I want to conclude by saying that the premium they charge you is entirely for the RnD they have put-in in their vehicles and engines, to be specific. And if you feel its not worth it, why buy it anyway!! smiley1.gifdriftpunk2010-12-26 16:23:22

@ishanb1

I dont know which Honda City are you talking about. I have myself driven it past speeds of 120 kmph without any fuss. None of the magazines have reported any instability regarding speeds of Honda.

Before just dismissing it as Bhed Chaal you should think how did the Bhed Chaal start. They must have been doing something right, like providing good quality fuel efficient spacious and reliable cars with engines that are praised world over.

Vitz is nothing but the Yaris, which competes with the Jazz, if brought here will face the same fate as the Jazz. I see a 'hijack attempt' of the topic, just like I got carried away....with my Hyundaism (as Crazy Doc, called it). So guys, now its my turn to ask you to return back to the topic. 

Durango Dude2010-12-26 16:44:25

Firstly guys stop going too much Off topic here as this topic refers to Etios Liva hatchback only & the Exhaustive discussion done here belongs to the Etios Sedan.

Now Coming to the Discussion matters;

I think Etios will break Honda city's resale value as well. No one will buy a second hand City when they can get a brand new toyota at the same price. 

Might Not be..

In India cars sells due to the Class they offers not as per their Price tags' date=' Prime example being Hyundai Getz fizzled due to its Below segment looks & Quality/bits Resemblance to the Santro, while under the same Stable i20 succeded just because of its Sheer Presence, Class & Luxuries it offers despite of a Premium price tag, which is even better than their much expensive Verna.

Honda Customers are always Class or Sophistication lovers so are Toyotas', whereas Toyota Etios is a Low-Cost, Affordable, No Non-Sense car bulid for masses & Honda City class starts where Etios ends.

And Due to Honda-Class Specific Reasons & Quality, even Oldest Honda City Re-sells at Premium a day today.

So, No Comparison between them these Honda & Toyota. Also Etios seeker/buyer can't Afford the Spare Parts of City or Civic.

I can tell you honda cars are most unstable cars of the lot, don't believe me drive a VW car 

I agree with you Ishanb but Partially.

Honda cars aren't Unstable but they're Only the Lightest ones, so are their Pros & Cons on the Road.

And in Reality, Stability isn't counted by Body Weight, It's Counted by Body Roll & Suspension settings & by these two factors City is much more stable than Verna & that's also the Reason behind the Stability & better Characterstics of Maruti Suzuki cars against Heavy-weight Tata cars.

And I'm with you Regarding VW cars, I love their Fit & Finishing, The World War Resisting Build Quailty & the Stability it Offers.

I recently drove VW Polo for quite a long stretch' date=' being an enthusiast myself, ...........

but the engine is SLOW -- lacks a punch - the Turbo Punch is what I'm talking about. I know it has Turbo, I couldn't make out the effect of it. I had to ask the guy sitting with me to reassure. We've all seen that. Drive the i20 - or - Micra. [/quote']

lol..

Man you're comparing Bournville with Bar-One chocolate.

Micra, Swift, Ritz benefits from their Lighter Body Shells, which on the Other hand takes its Toll on the car's Safety.

Whereas i20 benefits from both lighter Bodyshell, Build & More Displacement engine(1.4l 90PS CRDi against others' 1.3 & 1.2l ones)

Compare 75PS Polo TDi with equally weighed 75PS Fiat Punto 1.3 or Indica Vista Q.Jet or 1.4 Ford Figo & then you'll come to know what VW have Extracted from 3-cylinder 1.2l TDi engine(75PS Power & 180Nm Torque), which is Practically equal to done by Fiat/Swift's 1.3l MjD/DDiS engine(75PS Power & 180Nm Torque).

If you want the Punch then do Test-Drive VW Polo 1.6 petrol, which is having Maximum Whack of Over 190kmph.

@Mods: These last few posts seems to be an Interesting bit of discussion, Please move these posts to the Etios sedan thread.
dr_nishu2010-12-26 17:23:38

Most of the modern hatches like swift, Punto, yaris, i20, fiesta and even polo start from roughly 10000 pounds in UK for the base model with jazz startimg from slightly higher 11000 pounds.

So, it is not that yaris (vitz) competes with only jazz. It is only in India that some manufactures by introducing older models (figo, liva) are creating ower entry prices and some are taking premium for their brand image (Jazz).

Originally posted by ishanb1

<I think Etios will break Honda city's resale value as well. No one will buy a second hand City when they can get a brand new toyota at the same price.>

It may sound as a pun intended, but actually is a very valid point in the present situation. It is worth a good enough thought.   

^^ In a country as diversified as India this kind of generalized statement (no one will buy a second hand City) does not hold true.

I for one will prefer a well maintained City over new Etios any day. Because City will provide me a gem of an engine with modern interior and exciting exterior with arrow shot design.

Etios has simple & boring looks, confused & purely utilitarian interior and cost cutting is evident everywhere. It is a car to be bought from head only. My heart won't allow me to chose an Etios, ever.

Forget Honda City, I will prefer a pre owned Fiesta S in blue colour over Etios.

P.S.: All above statements are my opinion only and not necessarily be echoed by majority of people.

--------------------------------------------------------

Back to topic: IMO Liva is a rare car where sedan is conceived first and hatch later. But surprisingly, Liva looks more modern and well proportionate. Sadly, it too will have same boring Etios interiors. Else, it could have been a good competitor of Swift. itssanguine2011-03-16 19:06:12

I saw a couple of test mules of the to be launched Liva on the Feb 7th in the B'lore - Mysore Highway. Trust me they have got the power. I read somewhere in a test report saying it has got a 80Bhp, that is more to the mule that i saw which was cruising at more than 120kmph. i tried to press down the pedal in my i10 to click pic's but failed as i was alone. Interiors too seemed to be good! I think Toyota has got another winner in it's hands. And for Toyota Speed up dealerships soon!

Seen in the pic below are the bunch of Etios Liva hatchbacks in the storage yard of Toyota Etios plant, outside Bangalore indicating the beginning of its production, means its launch is very near.

UQfi0.jpga0FPLl.jpg

(Pic source: Twitter).