Sign in to follow this  
anirudh

faulty fuel gauge

my 2002 model palio 1.2 petrol has a faulty fuel gauge which since tyhe last 1 year shows fuel at zero.what  can i do.have tried procuring old spares but no avail.any help please(palio users group has also not been able to suggest anything silod). i am based at bareily

The faulty fuel guage has been a problem in the Palio since long time . If I may suggest go to a local mechanic and get some maruti swift fuel guage attached to your palio as even by going to Fiat for this part will take months to arrive.

As even by going to Fiat for this part will take months to arrive.

Very True. I have experienced the same. Availability of parts of FIAT's are -- Luck By Chance. And that chance is very rare. Get a replacement from the outside market for the mean time.

. If I may suggest go to a local mechanic and get some maruti swift fuel guage attached to your palio as even by going to Fiat for this part will take months to arrive.
what exactly shud i ask the local dealer-should he replace the fuel gauge or even the fuel pump near the fuel tank.please advise

Since the car is eight years old using the gauge from another brand may not be a bad idea. The points to see will be the compatibility and mounting. I presume the dash part is Ok and it is the sender only. Check on the mounting and also the resistance of the replacement unit you envisage. The mounting and the gasket must be a excellent fit otherwise you risk fire from leaking fuel. If it is just a float failure then doing jugaad to fix a float from some other vehicle should be relatively simple.

should he replace the fuel gauge or even the fuel pump near the fuel tank.please advise

Why to Replace a Fuel Pump for faulty Fuel Gauge.

Instead Firstly try to Check & Repair it part-to-part wise starting from Meter Console unit to the Tank float.

If that doesn't Solve your query then, Best option is to Search for its Used Float in Local Garages or Scrap Yards brought from Dumped Palios.