rosanglura

Which Hatch?

I wanted to buy a new car(hatchback) and I have shortlisted the following:-i)VW Polo ii)Fiat Punto iii)Hyundai i20 iv)Honda Jazz. Not considering VFM, which is the best suited car among these for a family of five? Usage will be mainly city and an occasional outing for picnic and sightseeing. My other car being a Scorpio Mhawk.

family of five? Usage will be mainly city and an occasional outing for picnic and sightseeing.

If your monthly usage will be less than 1000kms per month, my choice will be JAZZ. Its seats 5 persons comfortably, good FE, carryies loads of lugguage.

There are very good offers going around, run and pick yours.

Polo is not spacious enough for 5 and has a long waiting period.

Punto is a good car but Tata factor deflates quite a bit of interest in the car. Also it does not match up to the Jazz and i20 in terms of reliability, space and performance.

i20 provides great features and is overall a very good car that serves all the mentioned duties very comfortably. But it again falls short in comparison to the Jazz.

Jazz is the most spacious car of the lot. Has great interiors. A reasonably powerful engine providing great fuel economy. Its good to drive and completely over shadows the other cars. There are discounts worth 50,000(approx) on Jazz. Call or visit the nearest Honda showroom and they will give you the information.

Go for Jazz or i20.

Stay away from Fiat.

Polo size and engine refinement doesnt strike a chord with me. I doubt 5 people can enjoy the ride from inside.

If you have the $$$, go for Jazz. Unbeatable space and refinement.

There are so many hatchbacks available. I'd say go for either Jazz, which has great interiors and good fuel-economy. Or you can even go for A-Star. The car's pretty good for Indian roads. Besides it's now available in the Automatic version as well. Great fuel-efficiency is definitely the added factor!

@rosa;

For City usage, Instead of Jazz, I'd advice you to go for Ritz ZXi, as;

-It comes with Excellent Petrol engine.

-More Driveable in City than Jazz due to its better Torque spread.

-City Fuel efficiency of around 14-15kmpl.

-Easy to Ingress-Egress Tall Seating with good Visibility.

-Excellent Interiors & Equipment list.

-As a Maruti Suzuki it'll fetch better Re-Sale value after years of usage.

-Plus you'll Save around Rs.2.5 lacs, if you choose it over Jazz.

Or you can even go for A-Star. The car's pretty good for Indian roads. Besides it's now available in the Automatic version as well.

The car seeker above wants the car with Space for Seating 5 persons & Seating a 2 Average sized adults at A-Star's Rear Seat(5 ft 10 inchers) is a Squeeze, due to its Extremely low Headroom.

Thread moved - Mod.

dr_nishu2010-12-10 17:52:43

Yes i agree with the Dr ,Ritz zxi is a really good deal .You will get absolutely everything ABS , EBD .Its drive is simply great But however the only problems are the odd rear shape and visibility upfront if u are short in height.I could not digest the odd shape and hence went for the i10 1.2 sportz However though a great car , 5 adults would be a real squezze at the rear  for the i10. Forum friends how is the Vista 90 BHP car because it is spacious and the saffire engine from fiat is quite reliable.

unquote: I wanted to buy a new car(hatchback) and I have shortlisted the following:-i)VW Polo ii)Fiat Punto iii)Hyundai i20 iv)Honda Jazz. Not considering VFM

quote: how a person who selected premium options as above will go for a Ritz( a modern wagon R). If practicability is all about a car, ritz has a bumpy drive for rear seat passengers, which is not a case of Jazz/ Polo.

I think the Skoda Fabia would be the best choice in the segment. It has all the positives of the VW Polo- plus it is more spacious than Polo. And is now very affordable too.

If the Skoda dealer near to your place is a good one, think there is no reason why you shouldn't consider that car!

Honda Jazz is yet to take off in terms of volumes and I feel that it is hugely over priced.

If you want a safe choice, please go for i20. It has all the features you want and is the best seller in its segment. The ride, handling, interior quality are not a match for the Europeans though. Also, be cautious that the 1.2lit Kappa is in for an upgrade to VTVT any time soon.

Please forget about the Punto!

carispassion2010-12-11 12:03:36

but before going to skoda,please check the ex showroom price displayed on website and actual price at showroom, and what else they add to reach on road price. there is a lot of differnce in price quoted at the time of launch of vehicle and actual. also go through the horrible stories of skoda cheating dealers/ bad ASS / swapping of parts during service / faulty vehicles posted on team bhp to avoid any regretting situation later. i think there are less chances for the same with honda/vw.

Yes. Ashikawa,

You are right that there were a few stories on bad service quality from Skoda dealers. And that is the reason why I have mentioned in my post to check the service quality of his Skoda dealer before going for a purchase. Thought that there is no harm in taking a test drive of Fabia.

Think even VW and Honda have their fair set of bad service stories too.

But have heard from many owners that Skoda is trying hard to improve the image of their ASS. Think it is much better than before.

If I was to choose among ur lot, then definitely the Jazz, sad thing is that its way overpriced. But its great to drive, I enjoyed the test drive in it. Also 3 can easily sit in the rear. Also Honda ASS is pretty good and well established

VW polo is the best among ur list of cars to drive. I am talking of the diesel version. But 3 in the rear is a bit cramped. But no dont go for it. Long waiting period or a big premium, and a big ?? ASS.

i20 is an average drive, that wat i felt. The rear can easily seat 3. I Td both the Diesel as well as the petrol. The diesel hardly has any low end torque, so hill climbing is bad. The drive is very average. Very dull steering response. But considering VFM, its good

Fiat Punto: lotsa goodies thrown in it. Very tempting, But only black cherry is the TATA ASS, how good is that, everyone ones!!!

More than the ASS of Fiat, what I didn't like is the Engine-gear box combination and the Ergonomics.

Steering and body dynamics are top notch. However the hard clutch(in diesel) and the rubbery gearbox plays spoil spot. IMO, Fiat has more to do with the Ergonomic part. I felt tired after driving about 150km, which you will not feel in case of any of the other cars mentioned here. The visibility (the lack of it), positioning of controls etc. were the major issues.

Think a car should be comfortable to travel (which Punto is!) and easy to drive (here Punto needs improvement IMHO).

Also, similar to Palio, few of my friends reported some niggling issues with Punto too!

carispassion2010-12-11 13:53:26

Unquote:gego&bones / VW polo is the best among ur list of cars to drive. I am talking of the diesel version. But 3 in the rear is a bit cramped. But no dont go for it. Long waiting period or a big premium, and a big ?? ASS.

Quote: During my test drive of polo i felt that the tunnel is quite high and is obstructive for the third passenger, but my obeservation is 1. the tunnel works like backbone to the vehicle and streangthen the chasis. 2. Three can fit at the rear only if they all routine passengers and know how to fit. If the middle passenger places his feet on both the sides of tunnel, all three can sit comfortably, believe i tried it.

Now come to after sales, see how carefully vw expanding itself to keep the quality at the premium.It may be costly compare to maruti, but not that bad what people imagine about it.Only the long waiting period should not be made benchmark to forecast about ASS.Swift has a lot waiting too.

Hey guys thank you all for your valuable contribution.I finally bought tafeta white Jazz X which the majority of you suggests. It's a pleasure to drive and very roomy at the rear too. I am very happy with the choice I made through you all.