the driver

Toyota Etios,going to be a game changer or not ?

toyota etios,the cheapest car in the universe of  toyota,and the step of toyota in the boiling b-segment,currently when it comes to saloons,its the swift dzire which is ruling the segment,with nearly no rival.
the question is,WILL ETIOS BE ABLE TO SET THE SALES CHARTS ON FIRE AND HOW IT CAN EFFECT THE DZIRE?
as i have read in the december edition of autocar,it feels like the etios is a tailor made for India car,the car feels superb in the magazine now its the time to see how it works,as said in the magazine,IS THE MAGICAL TOYOTA BADGE GOING TO WORK THIS TIME TOO? though its not only badge,currently everyone knows toyota for making best cars,LETS SEE WHAT IS AHEAD....

BornFree2010-12-19 13:06:01

Yes the Etios is a game changer for Toyota and in sales, but it aint groundbreaking. When Ford Ikon was launched in 2000 it shook the market and Esteem,Ambassador,Astra and Zen felt the heat. Not in the case of the Etios. The Dzire will still sell and rule the sales. But the Etios will be a success mainly due to the magical toyota badge.

THE only thing positive in that car is the Toyota badge,the booking figures even without seeing the car shows peoples faith in that company.

This will lead other manufactures bring in outdated models like this and Figo,but Figo is much better than this

The base models of this car lacks even the basic features

Tata Indica and Nano had such big initial buzz I hope this to end like that

No one can make a high quality car at low price and once the illusion of Toyota quality dies down sales will come down,Diesel engine and taxi market will keep this car as a top seller in India but you guys will never see me driving around in this Crapios

Toyota said they wanted to sell 70000 of these in the first year but after 10000 bookings they say 10 months waiting period.

I think that Etios, with the brand name it is carrying, will move the entry-mid-size segment upside-down.

It will surely affect the sales of Dzire, though it won't outsell Dzire, as there is no diesel version currently available.

ETIOS is mainly for the mid range car buyers. DZIRE is not that cheap or least comparing with the etios. But etios will be sold out to the TRAVEL agencies, CALL TAXIs and every mid range buyers. TOYOTA batch is having 1000x valuable and having guts than the suzu or tata too. And satisfaction is always endless from the product of toyota.

-dinesh

(always the racer wins atlast)

THE only thing positive in that car is the Toyota badge' date='the booking figures even without seeing the car shows peoples faith in that company.

This will lead other manufactures bring in outdated models like this and Figo,but Figo is much better than this

The base models of this car lacks even the basic features

Tata Indica and Nano had such big initial buzz I hope this to end like that

No one can make a high quality car at low price and once the illusion of Toyota quality dies down sales will come down,Diesel engine and taxi market will keep this car as a top seller in India but you guys will never see me driving around in this Crapios

Toyota said they wanted to sell 70000 of these in the first year but after 10000 bookings they say 10 months waiting period.

[/quote']smiley5.gifi cant say anything about the heat...but what i know is..I AM SURE,AS  THE LIVO AND D-4D ETIOS  WILL BE LAUNCHED,THEY ARE GOING TO STEAL SOMETHING AS WELL AS EVERYTHING FROM MANY OTHER MANUFACTURERS..

I think that Etios' date=' with the brand name it is carrying, will move the entry-mid-size segment upside-down.

It will surely affect the sales of Dzire, though it won't outsell Dzire, as there is no diesel version currently available. [/quote']smiley19.gifI cant understand why it is so that anything that maruti introduces works???smiley7.gif

Being an innova owner,what I know is toyotas are far ahead than marutis and all in terms of quality as well as after sales assistance,though there are less no. of dealerships,AND I THINK THIS WILL ONLY MAKE THE ETIOS TO FALL BEHIND THE DZIRE....BUT INDIGO IS SURELY GOING TO BE DEAD..

I think Etios for few years will compete with Dzire and even outsell but once the name is established  Toyota will push it upwards into city territory.Just like corolla which initially competed with Honda city but now it is competing with likes of Honda Civic.

The prices of Etios is just marketing gimmick by Toyota.Toyota never wanted any product below 8 lakhs as it hurts its image so IMO , buy Etios now or pay higher price for this ECONOSEDAN from Toyota.

Hail the new champion of Waiting period in this Liberalized India -TOYOTA ETIOS

I think Etios for few years will compete with Dzire and even outsell but once the name is established  Toyota will push it upwards into city territory.Just like corolla which initially competed with Honda city but now it is competing with likes of Honda Civic.

The prices of Etios is just marketing gimmick by Toyota.Toyota never wanted any product below 8 lakhs as it hurts its image so IMO ' date=' buy Etios now or pay higher price for this ECONOSEDAN from Toyota.

Hail the new champion of Waiting period in this Liberalized India -TOYOTA ETIOS

[/quote']smiley32.gifEVEN I HAVE ALSO READ THE SAME IN AUTOCAR MAG,THAT THIS IS THE CHEAPEST CAR IN TOYOTA'S UNIVERSE......

but quality is seriously far ahead than that of etios...

i too want to know about the times when the corolla costed equal to citysmiley36.gif,I am sure you are not comparing the 2005 price of corolla with the current price of city..smiley4.gif

They won't be able to sell a single piece of this sh*t in any matured market,this car is soo bad that even pakis won't buy this,but in India I won't be surprised if it wins some car of the year awards. 

@driver -Yes I am talking about 2005. before the civic was launched in 2006 ,corolla competed with City.

But same corolla( Higher end version) still competed with Civic and low end variants competed with City.

Why are You so cynical about Maruti products?Toyota may be great company in eyes of many but like all great companies it has double( Read dubious records) standards when it sells products to different countries not according to tastes but profit mentality i.e it judges by its "so called customer clinics"whether we deserve a product or not - case in point - Qualis.

Can't they launch latest Yaris hatchback?Why have they have to launch this vehicle. Same is case with City - It is not sold in Europe why? are they sacred that it will not meet safety standard- EuroNcap.

Etios is a game changer but not for right reasons. It is car built to a price and for a crude market like ours.Toyota should learn lessens from Nissan

Nissan sells its latest Micra both in India and Europe - which means safety is not compromised- Crash tested as per EURONcap.What I mean to say is that Toyota and Honda are taking us for ride

Etios like qualis looks brilliant and game changer due to following things-

1. Toyota brand Name

2. Quality of its rivals is appalling to say the least

2. Quality of its rivals is appalling to say the least

smiley2.gifthis is what i too wanna say,i am not against any manufacturer,see i praise i-10 kappa,i praise ritz,but the problem is that i am against the compromises,like you know maruti is expert in making compromises for just cost cutting,and its where toyota,skoda,VW,honda excels..only reason is that they are ready to introduce their product at a cost but atleast no compromises....

@driver - no manufacture in India produces a car without comprise.for example in European markets you could order Mercedes  E class with a manual transmission then  why not in India? 0r take the case of GPS or delayed appearnce of Direct fuel injection petrol in Mercedes cars.or Refusal of BMW cars to have spare tyres.

Toyota Etios . Honda Bio , Honda City are not sold in European Markets - Why? because these Japanese Manufacturers know that You can't sell any crap to Europeans only Americans , Asians, fall to this trap.

Regarding quality , the average Joe who buys a maruti car buys a Maruti expects a decent quality . excellent fuel economy , cheap spare and service , he's not bothered about finer details Whats the use for him?

Also we Indians have double standards - Lets take case of Spare Tyre - nobody is bothered whether BMW cars have spare tyre but a huge furor was created in 2006- 7 over small space saver tyres in swift ZXI which forced MUL to have a full sized alloy wheel spare tyre( Autocar Indai)

Even Toyota corolla quality is very poor in front of Honda Civic - How many have us who owned have complained about quality.

Some vehicles have quality built into it not added - thats why some cars like Innova , i10 are expensive but others like i20 have average quality.

The main problem regarding quality is that cars today are expensive to produce than lets say 20 years back and some people will walk away price doesn't suit  so MUL quality will always be borderline to say

@driver - no manufacture in India produces a car without comprise.for example in European markets you could order Mercedes  E class with a manual transmission then  why not in India? 0r take the case of GPS or delayed appearnce of Direct fuel injection petrol in Mercedes cars.or Refusal of BMW cars to have spare tyres.

Toyota Etios . Honda Bio ' date=' Honda City are not sold in European Markets - Why? because these Japanese Manufacturers know that You can't sell any crap to Europeans only Americans , Asians, fall to this trap.

Regarding quality , the average Joe who buys a maruti car buys a Maruti expects a decent quality . excellent fuel economy , cheap spare and service , he's not bothered about finer details Whats the use for him?

Also we Indians have double standards - Lets take case of Spare Tyre - nobody is bothered whether BMW cars have spare tyre but a huge furor was created in 2006- 7 over small space saver tyres in swift ZXI which forced MUL to have a full sized alloy wheel spare tyre( Autocar Indai)

Even Toyota corolla quality is very poor in front of Honda Civic - How many have us who owned have complained about quality.

Some vehicles have quality built into it not added - thats why some cars like Innova , i10 are expensive but others like i20 have average quality.

The main problem regarding quality is that cars today are expensive to produce than lets say 20 years back and some people will walk away price doesn't suit  so MUL quality will always be borderline to say

[/quote']smiley32.gifbro i agree with you...smiley3.gifsimply fantastic answer to all my doubts,but why to buy more compromises when we can buy less,you know what,after owning a scorp vlx,a safari vx why i bought an innova V,and i know that innova is niether having as good performance as they have,nor its the most luxurious...but its a perfect balance..and this is what i mean as no compromises in india...

Regarding quality ' date=' the average Joe who buys a maruti car buys a Maruti expects a decent quality . excellent fuel economy , cheap spare and service , he's not bothered about finer details Whats the use for him?

[/quote']smiley3.gifdear friend,i am sure you haven't driven an altis....if innova and i-10 is expensive then no problem,you get a bang for your buck.

my next car is gonna be either a yeti or a laura tsi...and i am currently busy with test drives...and as i love quality,the both machines are simply superb.

@driver - everyone has different parameters regarding quality and VFM.

Lets take for example Skoda Fabia I felt quality was far ahead of VW polo but many people in forum will rank VW polo higher - thats the difference in opinion - what I mean to say is that people like polo's quality over Fabia 's quality is down to its price, brand image and nothing else.

regrading Toyota Corolla Altis, I am comparing it with Honda Civic on a segment- price basis . To be honest even Honda Civic quality is poor when compared to its European spec even though price difference is minimal

I love Skoda cars the trouble is not price but ASS which is nothing to talk about as Autocar India itself had trouble with its Skoda laura.Thtts why I never went for Fabia

Drive safe

Mr. Spock2010-12-21 07:10:42

to be honest I not a fan of any car Manufacturers, I rate them purely basis of my aspirational value, quality. ASS because I paying my hardened money on buying this vehicle.

whether You like it or not Toyota was never famous for its engine but quality that one thing propelled it to this position.

Same thing with Etios - its engine is nothing to talk about neither its quality - Just the competition consisting of these home grown companies is so poor and lack any lee iacocca charisma that these Foreign  manufacturers have got away easily.

@mods - please merge above post with this post. due to some techinical problem this post has appeared as a seperate

Mr. Spock2010-12-21 07:12:37

to be honest I not a fan of any car Manufacturers' date=' I rate them purely basis of my aspirational value, quality. ASS because I paying my hardened money on buying this vehicle.whether You like it or not Toyota was never famous for its engine but quality that one thing propelled it to this position.Same thing with Etios - its engine is nothing to talk about neither its quality - Just the competition consisting of these home grown companies is so poor and lack any lee iacocca charisma that these Foreign? manufacturers have got away easily.[/quote']

smiley32.gifsmiley15.gif again i agree with you bro,actually you are right,currently i am not an earner but is simply a cash thrower,and thats the reason i never think of ASS,but from now onwards i'll think of it.

about skoda ASS,what i know is that the silvertone(NCR) is giving a good ASS...so no problem..and i am starting a new thread right now for the same(laura or civic).

smiley1.gif what you quoted about etios is what i was saying from a long time...its not that etios is best,but its the competition that made its quality best,by keeping themselves below the ground.

love Skoda cars the trouble is not price but ASS which is nothing to talk about as Autocar India itself had trouble with its Skoda laura.Thtts why I never went for Fabia.

smiley19.gif actually this is the time you must try out the skodas,the problem skodas are fcing is,BAD NAME IS THE WORST THING.

and i on't know about the laura of autocar,but its a fact that even a swift can make its owner cry the blood tears...so its the car's fault...rest ASS is good now a days(note:i said only good,not better).

the problem is that,after the test drive...I AM IN LOVE WITH THE LAURA TSismiley18.gif AND I AM UNABLE TO SEE ANYTHING ELSE.. smiley19.gif   

@driver - Before buying my next vehicle I will atleast try Skoda vehicle. All this bad name in press made me shy away from Skoda. But experience with MUL has been  a mixed bag due to its ASS and indifferent sales department.

I don't mind paying extra if spare parts are good , vehicle is top class , dealership staff have basic courtesy and service is good. I have not visited any skoda dealership so I will reserve my judgement

Toyota have build its(Etios's) Essential Parts with High Quality & highly Refined Bits like that of Engine, Transmission, Suspension, Stering Unit & other Mechanicals

& Done the Cost cutting in the Non-Essential or Regular Areas, like Interior Plastics & Gadgets & they're true in their Own Sense, As as per their Feedback based on India, still more than 50% Car Owners in our country are those people who need only a 'Cabin for seating 5 with 4-Wheels & driven by Fuel Efficient & Trouble Free engine'.

And Toyota-badge on Etios at upto Rs.6-lakh Price tag is an 'Icing on the Cake' for them to lay off their Money.

In Short, Toyota have made a No Non-Sense car for Masses in India.

But for Enthusiasts & Car lovers like us, Its more of a 'Kyun(why??)-Revolution' than Q-Revolution for masses..

Toyota have build its(Etios's) Essential Parts with High Quality & highly Refined Bits like that of Engine' date=' Transmission, Suspension, Stering Unit & other Mechanicals

& Done the Cost cutting in the Non-Essential or Regular Areas, like Interior Plastics & Gadgets & they're true in their Own Sense, As as per their Feedback based on India, still more than 50% Car Owners in our country are those people who need only a 'Cabin for seating 5 with 4-Wheels & driven by Fuel Efficient & Trouble Free engine'.

And Toyota-badge on Etios at upto Rs.6-lakh Price tag is an 'Icing on the Cake' for them to lay off their Money.

In Short, Toyota have made a No Non-Sense car for Masses in India.

But for Enthusiasts & Car lovers like us, Its more of a 'Kyun(why??)-Revolution' than Q-Revolution for masses..
[/quote']its not the same,yesterday i got my innova's ABS failure,and when i reached the service centre(uttam toyota gzb.),i got a test drive of etios too...and friend surely,ETIOS HAS EVERYTHING YOU MAY THINK OF A CAR AT THE PRICE.THOUGH ITS NOT AN ENTHUSIAST'S DREAM,BUT THEN WHICH SALOON IS AT THIS PRICE?

the driver2010-12-23 08:09:42