aditya123

Fiat Punto or Volkswagen Polo?

At around the same price range there are two decent sedans as well(Manza and Etios).I'm not looking for one but just curious.How good are those cars?I will get the Manza with ABS if I spend a little more and the Manza without ABS at the same price.Both Punto and Manza share the same engine.So is Manza a better buy than this Punto 1.4? Or is it the Etios that is superior. 

For petrol, Etios is much superior but be warned of a huge waiting period of over 6 months. But the ownership experience would be much better than Manza.

Etios would be the best bet at this price point. It has a very good 1.5 liter engine and as a Toyota you can be assured of reliability and good service. However the interior quality wont be what you get in the Polo.

However you will see that each of these cars have atleast one or more glaring questions. Because of that I will strongly suggest that you wait for the new Swift to be launched in April which will be the perfect blend of all you want.

Polo deliveries take anytime between 2-3 months while you will most probably be getting hands on Etios not before May.

Instead keep enquiring every 2-3 weeks for the new Swift at the dealership and place your booking as soon as it opens so that you get it at the earliest.

Of the four cars you have mentioned my choice will be Etios.

I'm looking for a new car with a budget of maximum 6 lacs.I have 2 cars in mind.
1.Volkswagen Polo Comfortline
2.Fiat Punto 1.4 Emotion

Frankly Speaking Out of these two Fiat Punto is better in terms of;

-Refinement & Noise levels.

-Engine is more powerful(90PS as compared to Polo's 75PS).

-Features & Equipment list of Punto is much vast' date=' Although bulid quality of both the cars is same.

Minuses (-ve) with Punto over VW Polo;

-Brand Value & Service of Volkswagen is much much better than Fiat's Inadequate AfSS support & Uncertain future.

-Fuel Efficiency is Poor(not more than 12kmpl under any conditions), wheras Polo gives easily around 14kmpl in City & 15-17kmpl on Highways.

-Fequency of Niggling Problems in Punto is much higher due to Poor Quality Plastic & Electrical Parts in Punto than that of Polo.

-Spare Parts availability of Fiat is still a Major Issue, as most of its Spare Parts are brought under Order(withing 15days of Specified period) by Tata-Fiat Dealers cum Service Centres.

So, Relative Peace of Mind factor Comes with VW Polo. 

No Doubt its Noisy, but all of its Noise is during Idle & while on the Move its barely Audible & almost Vibe-free. Also Interior & Outside, Road Insulation in Polo is much better over its Rivals.

@ashikawa
.....Is Polo an underpowered car?......

@creativebala
Too many complaints about the i20.Steering rattles,AC issues etc.Many people say that it's underpowered.And the Punto has ABS+EBD.

Polo isn't an Underpowered car.

Its having more than Adequate Power to Propel, Accelerate & Overtake at any speeds, at least better than Punto 1.2.

Its In-Gear Acceleration & Driveability is Superb.

Punto features ABS+EBD only in its Emotion Pack version.

Regarding i20' date=' steering rattles was in a particular batch of models only, and AC has been rectified. Also i20 has marginally more power than Polo, 4 cylinders instead of 3, so less vibrations and smoother engine, more on space. Also please check. i20 also has ABS+EBD.
[/quote']

Its not Rectified completely yet & According to Hyundai's Senior Engineer, this Fault is due to the faulty Design of the vehicle, not due to any Defective Part.

So, i10 & i20s driven under Specific conditions are Prone to Steering Rattles.

Regarding AC, Heard that i20 1.2 kappa shares its AC Compressor with i10, which was particularly designed for the latter, so it takes more time to Cool the bigger Cabin of i20.

Don't think that the sportz variant of i20 comes with ABS+EBD.

i20 features ABS+EBD only in its Asta version. 

As per ARAI(official Government data)' date=' Polo 1.2 is rated 17.2 kmpl while i20 1.2 has been rated 18.2 kmpl. These test are carried in a similar conditions, and while these will not be the actual FE you get on road, you can expect comparisons in ratio.
[/quote']

In Reality Hyundai i20 1.2 gives 8-10kmpl in City while Max of 13kmpl on Highways, whereas due to One Cylinder less Polo delivers around 14kmpl in City & 15-17kmpl on Highways.

Will the new Swift come with any extra knee room and features?

Yes, due to Increase Wheelbase, Rear knee room definitely will be Improved by few Inches.

New Exciting features for its Top variants may Include;

-ICE with USB/Aux-In Port,

-Electrically Adjustable Outside Rear View Mirrors &

-its Major attraction will be probably Start-Stop Button feature instead of Conventional key Mechanism.
dr_nishu2010-12-28 20:01:48

Between the two I'll go with the Polo, anyday.; Punto is finding it difficult to find 1000 buyers every month. Polo would be doing better numbers if not for the production constraints at the VW plant and has a long wait list.

New swift will be launched in around Diwali and its confirmed news. If you book during the time of launch then still you will not be able to get it before 2012 due to already waiting carried forwarded.

The top end model with all the features will not cost less than 6 lakh ex showroom Delhi and there will be no discount at all.

Regarding Punto's Poor ASS is notion of only non Fiatians. 90% of Linea and Punto's are very satisfied it shows in the JD power rating plus you can visit various other Forums to confirm.

Any way its best that you decide what is good for you what does your pocket allows because opinion will differ from person to person and thats the charm of it.

@Aditya,

I again suggest you to look at Punto Diesel Emotion variant.

It has all the features of a top end barring airbag, blue& me and alloy.

It delivers wonderful mileage and has got wonderful in-gear acceleration.

Even though your need( in Kms) may be less, you will enjoy the Fuel bill everytime you fill fuel and you will love the torquiness of a Diesel.

This variant with year end offer should be reachable within 6.2L or so on-road, so thats just 20k over your budget and this would save you a lot in Fuel bill as well as resale.

Moreover, petrol has freepricing, so it could even hit INR100 or so in coming years, where as the Diesel runs our economy, so govt can't increase its price easily.

@Aditya' date='

I again suggest you to look at Punto Diesel Emotion variant.

It has all the features of a top end?barring airbag, blue& me and alloy.

It delivers wonderful mileage and has got wonderful in-gear acceleration.

Even though your need( in Kms) may be less, you will enjoy the Fuel bill everytime you fill fuel and you will love the torquiness of a Diesel.

?

This variant with year end offer should be reachable within 6.2L or so on-road, so thats just 20k over your budget and this would save you a lot in Fuel bill as well as resale.

?

Moreover, petrol has freepricing, so it could even hit INR100 or so in coming years, where as the Diesel runs our economy, so govt can't increase its price easily.
[/quote'] This time I agree with you.

I will go for it if it costs only 6.2L.But the on-road price in my area without any discounts is 6.61lacs which is beyond my budget and I think it's not wise to spend that much on a hatchback.Haven't contacted the dealer yet.So I don't know whether there are any discounts or not.I plan to book the car by Jan 30th.I wont be getting the year end reduction but as far as I know Fiat offer such discounts throughout the year.

What about the fuel efficiency of the 1.3l diesel?I think the Etios,which is a petrol car is even more fuel efficient.

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

Hi Aditya, I have been using Punto 1.2 for last 8 months. I haven't experienced any issues with the ASS or the poor quality parts. I'm very satisfied with this car. When I was looking buy a car, I had checked out both I20 & Polo, but neither matched my criteria. Polo is very cramped & equip list is very poor. I20 is no VFM unless you wanna shell out that kind of money. The suspension is very soft.

Here are my thoughts on PUNTO: (won't talk about looks)

1. Good VFM as compared to its competitors. The feature list even on the base model is ahead of other cars in the same price range. Not commenting on I20 since the price is too much.

2. Suspension is rock solid. Bumps, bad roads etc, this car eats all. You can also check out Overdrive's detailed hatch comparison. Punto was the best in this dept. (ahead of Polo & I20)

3. Steering response is amazing. You will love holding it again & again.

4. 1.2 is underpowered. But for city driving its absolutely fine. FE would be better as compared to 1.4. I have been getting FE of 12.5-13 regularly.

5. No service issues as such. Spare parts are very cost-effective. I haven't faced any problems with the service till date.

6. Plastics are average as compared to Polo & I20. But they are not too bad. I would suggest to experience it yourself.

7. The Aircon is good. The new punto's & linea's are coming with an improved version.

Don't think about the resale right now. Even Polo is new so it doesn't guarantee the same. If you are ready to extend your budget, go for Punto 1.3 MJD emotion. Its a fully loaded deal.

I would suggest you to compare both cars & you will arrive on the conclusion. If you are brand conscious then blindly go for the Polo.

Hi Aditya' date=' I have been using Punto 1.2 for last 8 months. [/quote'] It is good to know that you are a satisfied customer of punto. Really it is a car worth its price loaded with all features. Though interior plastics and less bhp on card and doubtfull FE are the only turn offs.

@tejasmehta990

Indica?No way!

hersh_s1

That's very interesting.As bala rightly said the hike in petrol prices can be a problem in the future.I know that the same diesel engine is doing a good job in the Swift.But Punto is heavier.Eventhough it's torquey it's not very powerful(75hp).Is that enough for a car like Punto?I think even the Etios offers better FE than Punto diesel.

The power in Punto while stand still will be less and thats because its turbo kicks in pretty late, once kicked in, its in par in terms of power with other cars.

So, if you want to race or show off in every signal by flying off first, this is no the car, for all other things, this is a good car.

This car is underrated when it comes to power. One day. while following a Punto D with my Swift, i found it extremely difficult to overtake that car. In traffic I cross him, butin no time that fellow crosses me.

FE will also be very decent inline with Swift D.

Read this article below and you will know what 1.2 Punto can do.

Believe me, everyone should give it a shot, a ride with Ratan and you wont believe he is pushing it on 1.2 Punto. I was privileged and lucky as I shared the return leg to mumbai with Ratan in his 1.2 punto, he was mind boggling, I could see him hitting RPM 5K mark + on techo where 6K is the topline in a traffic jam, where probably I couldnt have driven even an inch ahead, I was like   and in the mad rush he made everything feel so smooth, that i couldnt believe, no jerks in gear shift, no where I felt that he was at sort of power, awesome driving skills, timings and guts to take what it comes Those jam packed trucks traffic looked like some odd stones on road, when Ratan over took them, be it from left, or right or come what it may be, he made his way through it. Hey Ratan, if you are reading this, I will be there for meets to just be in 1.2 Punto with you again and again and again   

Thanks to spirited, charismatic and high energy drive from Ratan vis a vis Tjet driven by Manoj (Ride de Himalyas champ) made me experience Raid de Himalayas on the regular highway .    , I couldnt belive what Ratan was delivering against a Tjet (driven by rally racer), poor guys who where following the group where left wondering somewhere in the traffic and where calling constantly on his phone, and Ratan was not only guiding them but at the same time was ensuring that Tjet feel the might of Ratan's 1.2 effects.

After a warm hug with Ratan, a switch from his Punto to Tjet with Manoj from Talegon Toll Point was my ticket to low flying jet, Manoj was vrooming the turbo jet constantly over 130kmph over the entire run and I no where felt that we riding so fast, until I slightly rolled down the window to open up left rear view mirror, it was than the sound of gussing air passing by made me realize, hey i am flying low on a jet. The car holded to ground on all curves and was probably most comfortable and assuring experience from any car that i have driven at that speed.

It was this skilled and fun filled drive to mumbai that made me catch my train timely, believe me I would have not made it without this guys high energy drive yet very cool and fun filled on entire route.

Detailed report coming soon...

http://teamfiat.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1171&start=90                               source: Teamfiat.co.in

Attached below is the picture showing the Actual?prices of Most frequently needed Spare parts of all the Premium Hatchbacks' date='

[/quote'] Can we rely on this information(No offence to ACI), just asking because the source from which this information obtained is not mentioned here. VW should publish prices of spare parts of polo on its website to build confidence among customers. Without a transparent price info., customer will be at the mercy of dealers.ashikawa2010-12-30 04:13:31

Can we rely on this information(No offence to ACI)' date=' just asking because the source from which this information obtained is not mentioned here. [/quote']

Look carefully, The link is at the bottom left of the pic!

VW is a great car but in present situation there r 2 problems, service network,spare parts r costly. Punto ...service issues r there becoz no body knows whos baby it is...tata,fiat or somebody else..and its back shape is useless. so my suggestion would be just check out new skoda fabia..diesel. i drove it and checked everything and its really superb ...and at a very good price..

VW is a great car but in present situation there r 2 problems' date=' service network,spare parts r costly...[/quote'] How you made this point of view, mean what is your bad experience with regard to these aspects.

so my suggestion would be just check out new skoda fabia..diesel. i drove it and checked everything and its really superb ...and at a very good price..
Haven't you read the scary stories of fraud dealers, swapping of original parts with duplicates, faulty products and weeping customers all over the internet. I am not telling its a bad product, but it has a history, which will never allow anybody to go for a skoda product.Also check its website for ex-showroom price and then call a dealer and check on road price, you will come to know how VFM it is.

Punto's styling cannot be beaten by POLO. The drive of  Punto is excellent for even my 1.2L petrol Punto. Of course the instant pickup whiile startup is a lagging feature of Punto 1.2L but with 1.4L there might not be much problem.You also should compare the inside space of both the cars. Consider your height also and then decide.Since you are going for Emotion I appreciate.My  feel of Punto while driving is that Iam driving a heavy and rugged car. Now the dealers and service centers has increased and there might not be much problem in service also. But always Maruti-Suzuki launches and maintains optimisation in performance in every aspects