tejasmehta990

Suzuki Jimny aka New Maruti Gypsy ?

When there is a growing popularity for compact SUVs in India and number of manufacturers are introducing innovative compact SUVs (Mini Xylo , Premier Rio) can we expect Maruti to introduce "Suzuki Jimny" as "New Gypsy" ?

This vehicle seems appropriate for city driving (compact dimensions) and offroad driving (rugged , 4 x 4, ground clearance, etc...).

This vehicle can be a rightly positioned as an affordable SUV just like EECO.

Suzuki-Jimny-Manual.gif

suzuki-jimny-sierra-fq-688x458.jpg

phoImg04.jpg

suzuki_jimny_estate_interior_21_01_05.jp

2008102_suzuki_jimny_interior.jpg

SUZUKI%20JIMNY%206.jpg

The best thing about this vehicle is that most of the features as required by the Indian buyers. It is also equipped with 1.5 diesel so no need for Maruti to change even a single spec. 

Only drawback is that it is 4 seater. But this vehcile can become a perfec lifestyle and personal vehicle for all purposes.

Tech Specs from Jimny's official website

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/spec/index.html

Engine   Petrol Diesel
1.3L 1.3L VVT 1.5L DDiS
Drive system   Part-time 4WD
Transmission   5MT 4AT 5MT 4AT 5MT
Steering   LHD/RHD LHD
Number of doors   3
DIMENSIONS
Overall length Front bumper to rear bamper mm 3,570
Front bumper to spare type mm 3,645
Front bumper to spare wheel cover mm 3,665
Overall width mm 1,600
Overall height Without roof rails mm 1,670
With roof rails mm 1,705
Wheelbase mm 2,250
Tread Front mm 1,355
Rear mm 1,365
Minimum turning radius m 4.9
Minimum ground clearance mm 190
Approach angle deg. 37
Ramp breakover angle deg. 31
Departure angle deg. 46
CAPACITIES
Seating capacity persons 4
Luggage capacity Max volume litres 816
Rear seatback folded

(VDA method)

litres 324
Rear seatback raised

(VDA method)

litres 113
Fuel tank capacity litres 40
ENGINE
Type   M13A K9K
Number of cylinders   4 4
Number of valves   16 8
Pisiton displacement cm3 1,328 1,461
Bore x stroke mm 78.0 x 69.5 76.0 x 80.5
Compression raito   9.5 18
Maximum output kW/rpm 60/5,500 62.5/6,000 63/3,750
Maximum torque N・m/rpm 110/4,500 110/4,100 200/1,750
Fuel distribution   Multipoint injection

Direct injection

(common rail)

TRANSMISSION
Type   5MT 4AT 5MT 4AT 5MT
Gear raito 1st   4.425 2.875 4.425 2.875 4.246
2nd   2.304 1.568 2.304 1.568 2.357
3rd   1.674 1.000 1.674 1.000 1.695
4th   1.190 0.696 1.190 0.696 1.242
5th   1.000 - 1.000 - 1.000
Reverse   5.151 2.300 5.151 2.300 4.436
Final gear ratio   4.300 4.090 4.300 4.090 3.416
Transfer gear ratio High   1.000 1.320 1.000 1.320 1.000
Low   2.002 2.643 2.002 2.643 2.002
CHASSIS
Steering   Recirculating ball
Brakes Front   Disc Ventilated disc
Rear   Drum, leading and trailing
Suspension Front   3-link rigid axle with coil spring
Rear   3-link rigid axle with coil spring
Tyres   205/70R15
WEIGHTS
Kerb weight kg 1,060 1,075 1,060 1,075 1,155
Gross vehicle weight kg 1,420 1,500

Will be interesting if it is launched as a two seater front cabin, and the rest of the people at the back like an ordinary truck. I dont like the shape of its backside cabin and named it as a SUV.

-dinesh

(always the racer wins atlast)
dineshzma1162010-12-29 09:26:38

http://epaper.livemint.com/ArticleImage.aspx?article=28_12_2010_008_002&kword=maruti%20to%20launch&mode=1

The above link shows that, maruti is planning to launch the Jimmy in 1-2 years. Once it's new assembly line in manesar plant will be ready by march-12, they will launch the jimmy. But we have to see, the pricing, options of engines and offerings from competitors.. All the best.

Maruti's platter is already full and overflowing. Of the top 10, 7 are from Maruti. I have a feeling Maruti hasn't exactly judged this demand well and has been caught on the wrong foot, leading to huge wait lists of it's Swift and Dzire. It's ironical, that it can't afford another "blockbuster" at the moment to send its production plans into a tizzy. If brought here, sure the Jimny would be a very refined lifestyle vehicle would succeed. Maruti can bring it on with the petrol and diesel avatar's. 

For me the interiors looks like the Wagon R.

4 door will be a good option as Maruti has a Fiat derived engine to plonk in and it can be done very fast.

But if Maruti want to increase the production of all it vehicles and also launch new ones then it better start building another three factories at once because it is already stuck with capacity constrains and will only take thinks from worse to worst .

Thread title edited.
BornFree2010-12-29 17:19:11

It's ironical' date=' that it can't afford another "blockbuster" at the moment to send its production plans into a tizzy.

[/quote']

I am pretty sure Maruti is not complaining!smiley4.gif

On a serious note, I would first like to see how much Thar actually sells. Off roading is not something major in India.

For Jimny MS might even get some support from Defense ministry. Maruti has another capable 4X4 in SX4 hatchback though and it might be more practical to bring it along with 2WD version.

well there would be difficulty for Jimmy to make it though , because it uses the multi-jet  engine which is co developed by GM , so US would raise objection.

SX4 would have issues in LEH Ladak on 4X4 roads

Maruti's platter is already full and overflowing. Of the top 10' date=' 7 are from Maruti. I have a feeling Maruti hasn't exactly judged this demand well and has been caught on the wrong foot, leading to huge wait lists of it's Swift and Dzire.  [/quote']

Well said Sir..

& Maruti Suzuki have already reacted to this trouble, as confirmed by the news below;

Maruti to reorient production of Swift, DZiRE 

Gurgaon, December 22
The country

This car is one of the Girliest' date=' most awful looking cars on the road, and no self respecting man would ever drive one. [/quote']

Beauty is only skin deep, scratch beneath the surface & its an accomplished vehicle, built to fulfill its purpose.

Agreed it does not carry that pseudo-macho image but who needs it! Its for real men & not those who like to send a msg. through their rides!
BornFree2010-12-30 03:22:40

It is observed that a car with practical features, good A.S.S., VFM, right price are successful such as XYLO, EECO, Bolero, Indica, Maruti 800, Maruti Omni, than the cars with good looks. 

Considering overall outlook of Jimny the price should not be more than 6L .

The force behind Jimny is the name associated with it i.e "Maruti-Suzuki" which will make it most successful compact SUV.

What I liked about Jimny is

- Compact dimensions

- Offroad capabilities

- Basic comforts features, A/C, Power steering etc...

- 4 x 4

- Seating capacity for 4 + sufficient luggage space.

- High ground clearance.

- Maruti Suzuki Badge

- Appropriate personal vehicle for city driving,  weekend drives as well as for some not very serious offroad driving.

- Diesel option

- I can venture my dream drive from Kanyakumari to Himalaya in this vehicle very comfortably. smiley20.gif

The vehicle has a 40 year old history, I am sure Brand Jimmy must be doing something right to tickle the wishbones of its prospective buyers for so long..

I have heard that the Jimny is available with a 80bhp engine in the Emirates which is absolutely inadequate for an SUV but I have also heard that it is as capable as a Freelander or Jeep off road so ideal vehicle to replace Gypsy

Wonder whether the army will replace the Gypsy's with Jimny's. 

And those alloys look butch