rahulgupta3101

Long-Term Ownership Experience : Ford Ikon 1.6nxt

It's been really long since I decided to pay tribute to my beloved Ikon, which is now more than 6 years old and still holding strong.

Few adjectives which I would use to describe it are brilliant steering, gem of an engine (this is built for enthusiasts, not for any fuel-efficiency tests), chassis (strong enough to withstand that power) and the overall Ford dynamics that make it a perfect machine for any racer-boy.

Note : This post could be a long one, as the title suggests and hence buckle-up for the ride.

The buying decision : may-2004

Hmmm...At that time we were having a Corsa Sail (bought just an year ago after parting with the Cielo) and our very familiar Zen, which has done around 30k and was around 5 yrs. old.

Let me tell you, that mine is a joint family and hence the car buying ( or for that matter , any major buying decision) has to go through many phases and approvals (those living in joint families will concur with me on this).

Although Zen was doing a pretty clean job of ferrying our house job-earning brigade to and fro from home to office and back home, but still, as all Maruti's have it pretty early, RATTLES have crept in from last two years and it was up for some replacements, as suspension parts like bush and shockers have started giving-up, brake overhaul was much-needed and likewise some other nick-nacks.

july 2004

So, it was decided to do-away with it and let corsa handle those duties. Meanwhile, till the replacement options of Zen are considered, it will carry on with it's current work.Now, speculations started. The requirements are as follows:

1.) It has to be petrol, as running would be minimum as most of the duty will be done by the corsa now. This will be primarily used as a vehicle to go outdoors and such trips.

2.) It has to be comfortable enough to ferry five people.

3.) Good ride/handling combination, as both my dad and his brother enjoys driving. I have not started driving at that time.

4.) Fuel-efficiency is also not of major concern, due to limited usage.

september-november 2004

Test- drives and showroom visits started. The options considered were Hyundai Accent, Ford Ikon and Honda city.

First to go was the Accent. We took the test -drive. I at that time, sat in the back and enjoyed the ride. I found it good and comfy, so do my other brothers. But. my dad wasn't impressed, as also his brother wasn't. The car was not out of list , but was at the bottom now.

Next one was Ikon. It was same for us, though back-seat was more comfy and seat inclination more suited for long-highway runs, than the Accent. But, to our surprise, both my dad and my uncle had a grin on their faces after the test-drive, Ford Driving DNA has started growing-all over them. I guessed, and apparently, I was right.

Third turn came of the city. We test-drove the v-tec version. Interiors had more colors and looked good. The drive, as it would be, great, with the v-tec powering the Honda. The only soar point was the price tag.

We came home after the test-drives. It was decision-making time.

1.) Accent was comfy and a good family car. It was within budget , has good after sales-support and a decent enough resale value. Somehow, it didn't manage to appeal to my dad and his bro.

2.) Honda city was even more nicer. It had a great fun-to-drive V-tec, fine interiors and Honda's reliability going for-it. Then again, a hurdle came, and this time it was the price of City, and the fact that our usage is very limited ( till now our ikon has done only 23,000 kms), has made us turn away from Honda.

3.) The only left option was Ford. It ticked all our requirements. It had a superb steering (pure-hydraulic unit), 1.6l ROCAM engine and was comfortable enough. Moreover, the car was within our budget. It was year ending and got top-of-the-line Zxi varient loaded with features like leather-vinyl seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, cd-player and a rear-spoiler at a good price.

Delivery period was 5 days. Our Ikon arrived on 19th Dec, 2004 and from then till now, the car still spells a cast whenever, it is driven.    smiley1.gifsmiley20.gif

Thats a nice start Rahul. I hope you continue with a detailed report.

The ikon was a great car and that 1.6 sold a lot. I just disliked those ORVMs. Rest was very good indeed. Please post some pictures and some more characteristics

Nice report and very well maintained car. Believe it or not my M 800 1998 had clocked only 22K when i sold it in late 2010. People seriously didn't believe that this to be genuine kms readingsmiley19.gif.

Nice report and very well maintained car. Believe it or not my M 800 1998 had clocked only 22K when i sold it in late 2010. People seriously didn't believe that this to be genuine kms readingsmiley19.gif.

I completely believe you. I , too has this in mind that no-one is going to believe that the car has done only 23k.

Alas, this is the hard truth.

@rahulgupta:

Excellent car this one. Your car looks in good condition and also looks way better than most cars sold nowadays(Dzire/logan/even Manza/prev city). Excellent don sell this beauty till it gives up.

Besides we own a Ford Ikon 1.4(second hand). smiley17.gif

That truly a Nicely maintained car..

I equally appreciate your views regarding its Ride, Handling & Performance satisfaction part.

How much the FE its delivering now & its Mainenance status now w.r.t Ford's Reputation of Frequent & Heavy Maintenance bills ??

Please dont sell this off. Can be turned into a beast with some tricks down that bonnet. What say ?

8 Valve Sohc layout. Insufficient for it to be a beast. The Rocam engine was expected to be a reliable engine for developing markets where fuel is bad. It can take in anything except leaded fuel. It's a different thing that it has a lovely torque output due to its chain driven timing belt. A Free flow exhaust and a K&N will make it a rowdy wheelspinner.

@rahulgupta:

Excellent car this one. Your car looks in good condition and also looks way better than most cars sold nowadays(Dzire/logan/even Manza/prev city). Excellent don sell this beauty till it gives up.

Besides we own a Ford Ikon 1.4(second hand). smiley17.gif

Thanks for the appreciation. It would be great, if you put up some pics and review of your ride.

Please dont sell this off. Can be turned into a beast with some tricks down that bonnet. What say ?

Yes, Sb-alto. Completely agree with you. I too, don't want to sell this off. I will try to convince my dad to retain it, as and when, he plans to upgrade(most probably this year end).

That truly?a Nicely maintained car..

I equally appreciate your views regarding its Ride' date=' Handling & Performance satisfaction part.

How much the FE its delivering now & its Mainenance status now w.r.t Ford's Reputation of?Frequent & Heavy?Maintenance bills ??
[/quote']

Thank you sir, for those nice words.

It is giving around 11kmpl in town and around 14-15 on highways.

As our car ran limited and was regularly serviced at authorized centers, we faced very less trouble.

I will give a complete account of it, soon.

I always liked the angry grill than the smily one on the IKON  .It really brought out the josh on the look factor . It looks that you have maintained the car well over the years .

I have driven the 1.6 petrol and all I can say is that once driven this beast with that engine the owner will not be satisfied with any other car than the new fiesta or the classic (S varient). Though the car is great but there were some issues

The rear lamp were only in one tail lamp and other was a dummy (this was corrected in future varient though)

The AC compressor cost was / is around a lakhs which is too much for this car given the current resale value  and for this reason along Ford is known to be an expensive brand to maintain.

I always liked the angry grill than the smily one on the IKON? .It really brought out the josh on the look factor . It looks that you have maintained the car well over the years .

?

I have driven the 1.6 petrol and all I can say is that once driven this beast with that engine the owner will not?be satisfied with any other car than the new fiesta or the classic (S varient). Though the car is great but there were some issues

The rear lamp were only in one tail lamp and other was a dummy (this was corrected in future varient though)

The AC compressor cost was / is around a lakhs which is too much for this car given the current resale value? and for this reason along Ford is known to be an expensive brand to maintain.

I agree with you on the grill part of the Ikon. Yes, mine has been maintained very-well over the years. It has been more than 7 yrs. now and it still drives like a dream.

People have this notion that Ford vehicles are expensive to run and keep. The idea was true,till a few years ago, but now with greater localization and child-part strategy, cost of spares have fallen down drastically and is in line with Hyundai and Marutis.

I agree the Ford is no more expensive in spare parts but no one can change the opinion from the old Ikon users who had to shell out a lakh to replace the AC compressor (I know one owner and he swear that he will not let anyone buy a Ford in his friend circle.)

The child part strategy has really helped to reduce the cost to replacement parts . I hope that Ford still stores the spare parts for the ikon for the next 5 years atleast.

I always liked the angry grill than the smily one on the IKON? .It really brought out the josh on the look factor . It looks that you have maintained the car well over the years .

?

I have driven the 1.6 petrol and all I can say is that once driven this beast with that engine the owner will not?be satisfied with any other car than the new fiesta or the classic (S varient). Though the car is great but there were some issues

The AC compressor cost was / is around a lakhs which is too much for this car given the current resale value? and for this reason along Ford is known to be an expensive brand to maintain.

I agree with you on the grill part of the Ikon. Yes, mine has been maintained very-well over the years. It has been more than 7 yrs. now and it still drives like a dream.

People have this notion that Ford vehicles are expensive to run and keep. The idea was true,till a few years ago, but now with greater localization and child-part strategy, cost of spares have fallen down drastically and is in line with Hyundai and Marutis.

I think I'm a good team player and I'm a person of great honesty to others. Brothers and sisters, something we can explore together, is not it, lately I've been thinking aboutplaying the game, a bit addicted to them.

Let`s write that letter we thought of writing "one of these days".

buy wow gold

hi,

I didn't get exactly what are you referring to?

can you please elaborate?