AMG1

Will the Nano overtake Alto eventually?

There have been recent news that Nano sales have bounced back. So here comes the question, will it eventually overtake the invincible Alto?

What new features must TML introduce in the Nano to help it overtake Nano?

Nano taking over Alto : It is very difficult to overtake the Alto sale and that to with Nano as both the vehicles are attracting different types of users. 

Instead Maruti may try to increase its share in the segment (Under 2L Car) where right now Nano is the only vehicle. 

Having pie of Alto's market share : To take on Alto Hyundai has Santro and is planning to introduce another small car and Tata Indica Xeta is within the range of Alto.

To increase sale of Nano : Read news that Tata is expected to launch Nano Diesel but as a layman's point of view I feel it is not a good  step.

Instead of Nano Diesel if Nano Electric is introduced than it will will be a good option to the consumers who are looking for an "Electric Vehicle" (Unexplored segment where there is lot of scope) from a reputed manufacturer.

Even Tatas can ask for some premium for the Electric vehicle which eventually make their dealers happy and motivated to sell more Nanos.

One of the reason of failure of Nano is also of very low interest shown by the dealers may be because they may not be getting more margin in selling Nano.

Tata has already developed Vista EV successfully so it is not that that Tata need to develop entirely new technology so and with help of Nano Electric   Tata can start selling vehicles with alternate fuel in India.

This Dec Maruthi has sold 26000 (approx) cars of Alto and Tata has sold only 5000 odd Nano. Still there is a very long way to go for the Alto and in my opinion no day the Nano will overtake the Alto

Saw todays paper, Nano's asking for "only" 3000 bucks a month. I feel its too much at that end of the spectrum. They carefully avoided the ex-showroom price of the car. Guess its too close for comfort to the base variant of the Alto. As of now Alto rules. Unless some miracle happens Nano can never over throw the Alto.

As far as I have seen it in the past, the Alto is completely successful with more numbers (Autocar Monthly sales report says this) and the nano is still a entery level small car and can never be compared to the Alto

Alto is a very practical option for any car buyer. The engine, space, build quality, handling and fuel efficiency is balanced in a good proportion. Nano was an engineering challenge but not a competitive challenge. Nano sales looses out on practicality. 

Nano is not a car for a booming economy where daily wage earners get rs.450/day(kerala) but every boom will come down some day.10 years from now we may drive some derivative of Nano,

What will happen if Israel attacks Iran tomorrow,nothing is impossible.

I think the question of will overtake Nano alto or not is not that important but  will there a replacement for Alto or is it going to end its rein alone like Austin 1100 alone. To me Nano as a product has lost its relevance the day it was sold freely.The Nano though Rs  40000(approx) cheaper than basic Alto it lacks in many areas Brakes for instance - Drums around even for Top end Spec and then there is question of boot space which is too minuscule and difficult to access.The fuel Economy( even ARAI figures) are lot to be desired.The fuel tank capacity of 15 litres is so poor that even some 125cc Bikes have more capacity.

The Nano sales will never be what so called Analyst predicted .Its fate is similar to other landmark car - Rover Mini which despite its loss to comapny  failed to sell in large quantity as BMC had hoped for.

I predict that if all goes well the Nano will sell in range of 8000 - 12000 units in future

Not at all..

Alto sells at 32k/month & Nano lags behind at around 5k/month.

But Anyhow If it'll manage, then probably It'll take the Time-span equal to -It taken to Reach from its Concept to production stage.

I doubt Hyundai will be able to produce as many cars to take a major chunk out of Alto. Right now they produce total of around 40k per month while Alto alone sells 30k a month.

Autocar says Maruti is also building up a rival for Alto! I would be surprised if the two combined dont hit 40000 a month

The Simple answer for the up climbing sales of MUL every month is that "India comes home in a Maruti" The every day Indian had made it a point that maruti is cheap to run, reliable, economical and can be serviced at any place in the country. And alto being the entry level car where a person can opt for, after using his scooter or bike. This will boom up sales with no doubt.

Still the cheap pricing of the Nano is for it's petrol motor. When a diesel alternative or any kind of cleaner technology if introduced will surely rev up the prices which will be not accepted by most.

Leaving the Tata Nano light years behind & even beating own Wagon-R & VW Golf in their Home markets,

Alto emerged as World's largest selling car for Year 2010:

Maruti Suzuki Alto has taken the honours of being the world

Alto is a clear winner. But I am still very optimistic about Nano to

achieve this figure in near future. Nano's under performance is due to

lot many factors other than the company or product itself.

Tata

did all the things and used the media to the fullest to get the Nano

noticed and desired by people but sometime we have to believe in word

such as

' Destiny ' . 

Tata should come-up with Long wheel base Nano with more powerful engine and features.

The Nano is not a competitor for the Alto. They are in 2 different segments.

The Nano will continue to sell and people eventually will buy it despite it being the cheapest car in the world.

Most will have figured out by now that I am not of Indian origin, but I do like the Nano. When I was testing it 2 weeks ago in Mumbai the sales person of the dealer was horrified, when I tried to take the car to the limit. It handles much better than the negative press suggested. It is underpowered but by no means dead slow. One only needs to know what to do to get some performance out of it.

When I relocate to Mumbai I will buy a yellow on and certainly will develop performance tuning items for it.

The Alto has established itself with its own USP's and with the MSIL imprint. Selling 30,000 plus cars a month is a record of sorts. A great Indian success story indeed!

The Nano is yet to establish itself as a VFM small car.

Other than within its bonnet, it lacks a suitable space to store luggage.

The engine is located at a godforsaken place in its rear like the Minidor or the Piaggio Ape.Accessibility is poor as there is no tailgate to cut costs.The rear seat is dismantled to access the engine.

The car is just a wee bit more comfy than a three wheeler!

The wheel diameters are just a notch above three wheelers.

No the Nano can never dream of coming anywhere near the Alto sales, not to even speak of replacing it.

anjan_c20072011-01-11 15:21:37

Tata Motors increases Nano production by 50 percent

Nano sales finally started showing upward trend. Responding to the sudden demand surge Tata Motors revised the production target of Nano by 50 percent. In December 2010 the production was 200 units daily and in January 2011 the production has gone up to 300 units per day. Again the production levels may go up in coming days. According to news reports Tata Motors is planning to put Nano production on fast track, by March 2011 company planning to achieve 21000 units monthly sales.

Another good sign for Tata Nano is depleting inventory at dealerships.