Anand Sivaraj

Hyundai Verna - Fluidic

But why would Hyundai want to slot 1.4litre in when it has the brawny 1.5VGT? This mill can be kinda spiced up by adding a few more horses to give the customers the "VGT spectacle"

Overall the car is nifty with sort of raising waistline, roomy interiors and the smart grille.

Question: Is it just me or does the last image look doesn't seem quite right when compared to rest of the car? Is it the same car? Looks more like the i10 or the new small car Hyundai si working on?

I for once thought about the same line. However a closer look on the wheel design will reveal that both the snaps belong to same car. Also colour is also same.

And herein lies the problem IMO. As being discussed in another thread, Cars are beginning to look uncomfortably familiar to their cousin. Some may pull this design philosophy off with inspiring products (e.g. Porsche) but I for once do not like this philosophy implemented by companies like Hyundai & Maruti (SX 4 grill in Kizashi) & Tata (same christmass tree tail lamp from Indica to Vista to Aria).

Back to new Verna: being a Hyundai we can safely expected feature packed interior in Verna. But will they settle the dynamics issue ? This may tilt the balance against Verna.itssanguine2011-02-12 04:30:45

i 20 interiors looks much better than this, since the RB sedan is built on the same i20 platform, they should have carried over the same i20 interiors with some minor changes, new Verna interiors doesn't match to its stylish interiors.

i 20 interiors looks much better than this' date=' since the RB sedan is built on the same i20 platform, they should have carried over the same i20 interiors with some minor changes, new Verna interiors doesn't match to its stylish interiors.

[/quote']

This car is not as good looking as it's competitors and does not have have the torque offered by them,only usb is is the auto box but that too is a 4 speed outdated one

Interiors sure seem a letdown for the segment. Most Auto-companies are going all out in providing cutting egde, futuristic designs for interiors. This here looks like a step backwards.

Though will wait for a detailed report by ACI for final analysis.

Curiously waiting for the price and features on the said 1.4 vgt crdi and also the launch date. Man front seems new i10 - can i say an i10 with a boot is verna. Please no no.

Thats the 1.4lt Crdi engine for sure and in the VGT form it produces 105bhp. The reason for this engine coming in the car is because it is a second generation engine with 1600bars of pressure . Also the 1.5lt CRDi is being phased out , also the new engine is much more efficient and in the VGT Avataar it may be more efficient.

This new design looks like a cab forward one and the trasition is the same as form OHC to NHC.

Let me predict what to expect from the new Verna the Autocar way:

1. Design and Engineering: The car has an attractive deign and somewhat aggressive comparing it with the understated Vento, the beautiful Linea, the handsome new Fiesta and the beefy SX4. So the new Verna brings something new in this segment.

2. Engine:

1.6 ltr petrol which wont do good unless some grunt and perkiness of the 1.2 Kappa2 is instilled.

The main engine would be the 1.4 L CRDi with VGT and about 110 PS. Surely will give the SX4 diesel and the Vento diesel a run for the money.

3. Ride and Handling: Do not know about this one. But expect nothing thrilling with decent ride and that typical 'Hyundai' steering feel.

4. Fuel Efficiency: Diesel will be a fuel efficint one i bet.

Overall I am sure Autocar India will give a 8 for petrol and 9 for diesel. What do you all think? smiley1.gifsmiley2.gif

@Karthick

1.Design though it is a personal thing,I don't think it is the best looking i10ish grill is really bad,Vento has an understated design but it looks great in person due to the superior paint finish,and it will offer more head room in the rear.

2.engine   1.4 will never ever match the VW's 1.6

good handling' date=' this is one area it has been unable to match Honda.[/quote']

I've not come across great handling Honda's! Too light & don't inspire confidence at high speeds.

09022011131.preview.jpg

Just Chill guys..

C'mon its too early to Criticise on this design on a Brand New car, which haven't Actually Touched the Roads yet.

Rather than simply relying on this Top-view pic, Just look at the Bends, Creases of her Bonnet & Bumper with Sharp fog lamp Recesses.

It'll definitely Gel well with the Rest of the car's looks.

Just Wait for Proper poses of this New Verna, I'm sure that its alot better than Devil-ish looking Veran Transform.
dr_nishu2011-02-12 17:39:55

Internationally only the 1.6 Diesel VGT with 128 ps @ 4000 rpm and 26.5 kgm @ 1900-2750 rpm is available. I have a feeling Hyundai will bring this here instead of plonking the 1.4 in a VGT avatar. Petrol versions are Gamma 1.4 CVVT with 107 ps at 6300 rpm and 13.9 kgm @ 5000 rpm and Gamma 1.6 CVVT with 124 ps @ 6300 and 15.9 kgm @ 4200 rpm. I think we will get the 1.6 in diesel and gasoline versions here. The 1.4 gasoline already does service in the i20 1.4 petrol automatic.

If these are the options that are going to come here, Hyundai is sure to have let the cat among the pigeon's.

IMO, more chances are that Hyundai might launch this Verna with 1.4l CRDi engine, as firstly its having a Strong Performance with Good FE.

2ndly, for the sake of Cost benefits -As this engine is already shared with i20 & Hyundai is already planning to localise this engine alongwith planned 1.1l CRDi unit for i10, which are going to be manufactured at their Powertrain plant planned in Gujarat.

However, its Turbochargers may differ for different Power Outputs in i20 & New Verna.

If Motorbeam.com is to be believed, Hyundai has started taking bookings for the new Verna.

I find it really strange. Simply because we have seen no review by any famous Indian auto journos and the pricing hasnt been revealed either.

hi guys,

The verna which was launched in 2006 has been a great hit.but the hyundai just had that hit for 3 years.They launched a new facelifted verna in 2009 called the verna transform.It was not an great run like the old verna.It is hardly seen in chennai.And finally the hyundai people recognised their mistakes and they are going to launch a new verna Rb which is amazing in looks.And this month the accent also got a minor facelift.A new chrome grille and some chrome detailing at the rear.And its price also got increased by 30,000 compared to the old accent and hyundai is keen on bringing the Rb design to every vehicles and a new accent based on the Rb is to be launched within a year and we can tell that the Rb design is a sure success.

Autocar's review of the new Verna. Seems very impressive. The car looks good, drives well and has the ease of Hyundai's practicality and good service attached to it. The competition in the category is tough but I think Hyundai has a winner on its hands.

I think from The ACI link we will get the whole hog of engines available internationally. It will be something like i10 with something for everyone. It will be VFM. I think there may also be auto options for both petrol and diesel too. Now with this known; it will all boil down to pricing. With Vento have long waitlist, I think this will also get added to the 'playlist' of prospective car buyers.