neerajd

Dampening Material for my Swift

I have 2 questions here:

1. Panel / Door Fortification:

Everyone knows what panel quality comes with a maruti...

I am quite unhappy with the way my 2yr old swift rattles even over the smallest pothole. The plain road ride is super silent.. I tried asking the service station folks to rectify but its of no use.

To add to this, a little high volume on my ICE triggers enough vibrations to just kill the mood to listen to music in high volumes. (I have all 4 speakers in the door slots provided - front doors have Infinity components and rear are nippon 2 way - pioneer cd/usb player)

Recently, I came across a product that is used to dampen and fortify the doors and boot. It is a glass fiber solution applied to the metal and around panel inserts. This is unlike Dynamat and requires a day and a half for installation. The estimated cost for this is 10k if its a complete installation and 5k if I get it done just around the panel inserts and speakers. I will try to get the name of the product soon.

Can anyone please let me know if there is any better alternative than this? and if yes, where can I get it installed on my car in Pune?

2. Spoiler:

Does an after market spoiler installation damage the metal? I have seen quite a few cars developing rust around the area where drills were made to hook the spoiler.

Is it advisable to add a spoiler to the car?

I love it for its looks and I'm keen on getting one... Please advice.

@neerajd: Just a small point. Spoilers are more cosmetic than functional. If you must then add it to the roof rear end. Elsewhere you are in turbulent air so the effect of the spoiler is negligible, if at all. A front 'bib' spoiler may however help.

Hey Bala, thank you so much.

It is indeed an interesting thread.

I might as well try doing it myself.. saving 4k is a big saving indeed. Just need to find the time for it smiley2.gif

I would probably try the Yoga mat thing suggested by Bala. Really interested in doing something like that. But I am not all that confident about doing it properly. I do not have the complete know how for it. What if I damage something in the process of fixing it??   smiley3.gif

IMO sponge would be easier to push in between uneven places, mostly you wont need to remove any panels just try to lift it a bit and slide in the sponge...so dont worry about any damage.

Yoga mat will be useful for places with a bit larger area and even surface, because places which have large gaps you will need to fold the mat but after folding, it may not be so easy to push it in.
goenkakushal2011-01-13 08:21:55

Hey Bala' date=' what did you ask the MASS guys to do? I might as well get it done from their workshop if they provide any such service.[/quote']

Just told them, my left front door is rattling so much, they removed all the covers, cut a block of Arpro, packed the base of the door, below the glass area and the rattle stopped.

@Cyrus: yes even i thought that sponge is not a good idea. About the point of being a fire hazard, even the Yoga mats would catch fire easily. Am I correct?

Using sponge would definitely damage even the speakers and possibly the power-window electricals in the door.

The material you are referring is EPP Foam - extruded poly propylene foam - which is the standard packing material for all electronic items like computers, hard disks, laptops etc., This material is stronger than thermacole and usually do not get broken.  It also retains the shape very well.  You get it in multi colors and in different thicknesses and density.  You can get it in any of the car decor shops which do the PVC floor matting.  This material can also be used as an additional flooring material below carpets as it is shipped in rolls which come in five feet width.  Unlike thermacole, this material can be fixed with adhesives.