AMG1

Suzuki Kizashi Roadtest

Guys dont forget to watch the first drive of Suzuki Kizashi on the Autocar show tomorrow and sunday at these times

8.00 am

12 noon

2.30 pm

1.30 am

4.30 am

Sunday:

8.00am

12.30 pm

5.00 pm

10.00 pm

only on Bloomberg UTV

The car looks good and has good specs; what will decide it's fate is price. The price point rumored, between Civic and Accord won't do, as it will fail badly as this segment is ruled by Skoda (and not by the Japs) and not having a diesel is another weak point. And Suzuki has no image, in this segment.

Durango Dude2011-01-15 11:20:50

The Indian buyer is not able to accept Maruti in any class above B and the lower C segment.

The DZire, the Esteem and its predecessor the 1000 were the only Marutis to sell very well.

The Baleno too was quite underrated and a very good car that was not accepted  as far as the sales figures go.

The SX4 sells in low volumes vis a vis its competitors.

The Vitara sells below 10 units each month.

Lets hope the Kizashi breaks the rule and emerges successful.

But I have my doubts as its main competing brands  viz. Skoda, Honda and Toyota have garnered enough brand equity which buyers crave for.

I guess Maruti is in best position to launch/play in this segment. Its dominating the hatch segment, only way it could go was upwards & success of SX4 has given enough confidence.

Earlier attempts at the premium segment were not good enough but as soon a good product, namely the SX4 appeared, consumers accepted it. If Kizashi turn out to be a value preposition, consumers are sure to lap it up. Consider the sales/service, parts & costs advantage Maruti has over other Companies, only thing required to make a crack at a new segment is a good product. Consumers will also benefit from the advantages Maruti enjoys. Kizashi could well turn out to be a least expensive to acquire & maintain big-luxury car, a new for the segment.

I am not sure if it would be least experience to maintain as it is CBU. In USA it starts from usd19000 (approx 9 laks), so I would like to see it in price bracket of 13-16 laks. Pricing going upto the mark of 16 laks will be a disaster. As MSIL is new to this segment (after failure of grand vitara) , they desperately needs skimming pricing (pricing it lower than its competitors to acquire market share for this segment ) or penetrating prices (pricing it on the same level of its competitors to penetrate in this segment).

P.S. I don't know if Kizashi has any competitors in this segment according to engine and lengh or space comprability but think it will compete with itself in this segment. Good Luck to MSIL.   

MSIL should have separate production line for Kizashi and try to make it here at least as CKD instead of CBU or it will bomb as badly as the Vitara. If not people will either go in for a diesel or petrol Laura, Civic or Altis instead. Price should be sub-Civic, not between Civic and Accord as rumored. Killer pricing can save the product, despite it's 2.4 L petrol motor, which is sure to be a gas guzzler.

Well,what I found is:

1)Maruti has made a serious attempt to go upmarket.

2)2.4 L motor has enough power to give the competition a run for performance(truth will be revealed only after the car is launched).

3)Looks are not killer but are not anything lesser too.

4)Design of the interiors and general build quality are a big step up for Maruti Suzuki.

5)It is tipped forward,broad shouldered and is muscular too..KIZASHI IS MORE SPORTY THAN LUXURY.

I love the way the car looks.Even the car is great but COST WILL DECIDE ITS FATE!

Doesn't it get the AWD(all wheel drive)here in India,as an option.like it gets it in United States?

Considering Maruti's huge range of VFM hatch backs to build brand image of Kizashi as well as SX4 and Vitara and also New Swift they should be offered by special dedicated showrooms for luxury products.

Usually Maruti showrooms are crowded and sales executives are also quite used to it and they don't give any special treatment to the clients which is required for a 'Premium Car Buyer' and in case of Kizashi a special treatment to the product and to the buyer is must for its success and to build a upmarket brand image.

A Premium car buyer such as Kizashi may not find it comfortable to get treated just as the buyers of VFM hatch backs.

Guys you forgot to compare this car against CRUZE. Looking at sales figures in past 2-3 months, this is the car that maruti should attempt to beat!

If Kizashi is similarly priced to CRUZE, it will do very well in my opinion. Will mostly steal the sales away from CRUZE. I doubt Honda/Toyota buyers are going to be opt for this. Since all the reviews show it as Driver's Car, it can compete very well against CRUZE (provided the Mileage is acceptable, 2.4L doesn't help the mileage at all).

The first plus point is that, Kizashi is another world wide product. So if user reviews are good, then it might make a difference. Secondly, Maruti should keep spare prices at a check. Premium cars have high spare and maintenance costs, only if Kizashi can be an exception. I am not too optimistic about FE of this car.

Think the trump card of Kizashi is going to be European Build quality (Read: better than Japanese rivals) with Japanese reliability and good after sales service.

And as ishanb1 has rightly said, the base price of Kizashi US starts from $19,000 and goes on to as high as $27,000 for the top end variant. Since Maruti is launching only the highest variants at $23,000 and $27,000 respectively for MT and AT think Ex-showroom price of 18lakhs could be expected. This is way cheaper than the Accord and Camry, which sells at similar price points; hence giving Kizashi a value proposition too.

Think there is not much logic in comparing Kizashi with the fate of Grand Vitara, since it was not even close when considering the perfection of the product. Kizashi IMO is a much better product than GV.

In my opinion US prices you are comparing are "SALES" prices. In other words, CTC would have been 60% less (including dealer commissions etc). If I am correct, the EXERCISE is going to be on the invoice of this reduced value. Add cost for options like AWD be removed.

So I am still hopeful this come at 13-15lac (CRUZE level).

To illustrate my point further :

Cost : 10800 (60% less from sales price in US)

Duty : 10800 (100% as CBU)

Local Profit : 10800 (100% on cost price)

Total = $32400, taking conservative exchange rate of 46, price comes to 14.9 lacs. So if Maruti wants, it can price it effectively. Also since they are testing waters for Kizashi, they can even reduce 100% margin to 80% or so and then increase profits on demand by localizing contents (keeping the sales price as same).

Disclaimer : This is a layman's calculation.

The Kizashi is sporty, has a short wheel base and the best interior quality of any Maruti in the market right now. Remind you of anything...?How about the swift. But only problem will be the pricing but i sure hope it sells like the swift too

With Kizashi Suzuki will set a new standard in Luxury Sedans in India.

Kizashi looks promising from all the angles.

Pricing will play very critical to match with the sales figures as of other Maruti vehicles but even if it is not sold in big numbers Kizashi seems to be best product as introduced by Maruti.