ragav20693

Totally disappointed with Etios

The myth that American cars are capable only in straight line acceleration is long gone . A $30000 Ford Mustang GT beat out a $67,000 BMW M3 all while the Ford Mustang has a torsion beam rear axle while a BMW M3 has a multilink.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/specs.html

@Ragav

You are right,the Mustang GT beat out M3,but that does not mean that Mustang GT has lost its muscle and fuel drinking character.Am I right?

I think our Etios is lost somewhere between Americans and Japs.

The reason Americans drive big cars,trucks,SUVs is that we are the only ones that can afford to drive them daily. For most of the past 20 years(18 years) a gallon of gas(1 US gallon=3.78 liters) did not cost more than $1.50(67Rs)

So the price per liter comes to no more than Rs.16.Even today, in my hometown, gas costs 2.86$ per gallon which comes to near Rs 38 per liter.The reason for this difference is taxes. Indian and European governments tax the hell out of fuel and thats the only reason they cost so much.For ex. in Texas, fuel tax by state govt. (no federal govt taxes) fuel tax no more than 10% of total cost. Americans won't allow taxes on fuel to such high levels.(if convert the Rs.63 per litre rate to US gallon prices, it comes to a sky high $6 per gallon)If the government does so , they will be thrown out the very next day. I personally hate taxes apart from income and property and I hate big government taxing everything. This is what most Americans will say to u.

The new 2011 mustang with 5.0 L V8 gets 26 miles per gallon on the highway while a normal Toyota Camry or Honda Accord V6 models get 29 miles on the highway. Considering the fact that the Mustang has 412 hp and Cam/Cord has 250-270 hp proves that Mustang GT has lost its fuel drinking character but not its muscle considering the fact that it goes from 0-60mph(96 kmph) in 4.6 sec(auto)and 4.7 sec(Manual) whic beats many exotics.

Ohh.. !!

One thing i forgot to mention in my previous post;

The Seat base of the Etios is also very Small at the Underthigh Reigon, not that much like Nissan Micra though but is worse than Swift or Dzire, which are mainly Criticised.

Although its Width is Good, but where it lacks is to Provide Adequate Underthigh Support & also the Base Foam part is thin & is more of a Shelf-like & Cushioned Seat.

Persons above 5.6ft height will find it Relatively not so Comfortable.

One Logan Owner at the same time when I was taking a look at the Etios in Toyota Showroom, have also Revealed some the Dark Secrets about the Etios, like Average Interior Space, Not so properly shaped & sized Boot Space, Wheel Well Inner Cladding, Average Dashboad Plastics, etc

dr_nishu2011-01-21 16:59:03

Etios is an incomplete vehicle like a baby born prematurely. It is having a moderate engine with decent dynamics but cost cutting in other areas specially related to comfort has resulted in a half cooked product.

As for being categorized as an economical product: I feel that as compared to other Toyota it is economical . But compared with its peers it is not a economy product and by no stretch of imagination can be described as value for money product.

Once euphoria over Toyota badge goes, then Toyota will have to pull up its socks and improve Etios in many areas.

In an attempt to reduce price the gaskets are also removed In Etios which makes the dust and dirt trapped in between the door and body and also make room for lizards, insects, cockroaches etc to get inside the door and body and they can easily enter inside as soon as the door is opened. These gaskets would have not costed more than INR 4000 for all 4 doors.

The reduction in the quality of dampers and insulating material has made possible all the oscillations from the engine to get inside the passenger cabin and create nuisance for the driver.

Human vibration is defined as the effect of mechanical vibration on the human body and it has long been recognised that the effects of direct vibration on the human body can be serious. It can can lead to blurred vision, loss of balance, loss of concentration, etc. In some cases, certain frequencies can permanently damage internal body organs. However, during our normal daily lives we are exposed to vibration of one kind or another, for example, in buses, cars and trains. Human vibration can be pleasant or unpleasant and we try to avoid exposing ourselves to unpleasant vibration such as travelling on bumpy roads. There are two main types of human vibration

@myetios Munish: That's one real write up from an Etios owner, pointing to short comings of the car. Is there space provided for adding sound deadening around the crucial areas like firewall, running board and wheel arches so the owners can do it themselves or through other workshops at a later stage? Even then Noise & Harshness will be taken care off but Vibrations will remain.

Durango Dude2011-06-23 04:25:04

I'm wondering why Toyota have opted to develop & sale such Inferior vehicle, especially at that time when they're enjoying huge brand loyality, why they've risked it just for the sake of earning l'll bit more profits.

What will happen to these Etios twins after plonking it with Heavy diesel engine, Just imagine.

Finally we are starting to see Etios on the road but not as much as Toyota might have expected. We all know the reasons now. Sooner or later, Toyota will have to restructure its terms and conditions.

From this post of a real owner, we can infer one thing that most of Indian car magazine reviewers seem to be biased towards some specific brands. Or they review a particular car keeping in mind the brand image of that manufacturer in India.

Yes, engine & transmission are most important parts of a car, but in my view body shell is also equally important.

i don't know how much the interiors plastic quality of the competition differs from the etios as i haven't seen a manza in real time from inside, apart from the body shell issues, i find the etios still a more well rounded up offering than the manza and dzire.

it has the best space, best handling, best ride quality , apart from Toyota service backing , great fuel efficiency, and despite being very low birth weight, its door shells and body strength is pretty good , if u compare it to the dzire.

yes, sound proofing is bad, apart from a spartan interiors, but in the b segment , the interiors of dzire and manza too aren't appealing. with regards to car vibrations, my uncle's etios is vibration free and i never found any while pushing it to the limit.

as far as engine sound goes, this car isn't tuned for redlining , since its a family car, but yes, effective gear changing can reduce the whine of the engine, u can slot into the 5th at 60 km h, other wise u get to hear that roar every time the etios revs cross the limit.

we got under body treatment ,apart from matting and body treatment done  on his etios, and its really silent at city speeds, yes u cannot compare its nvh  to c segmenters like Verna or a higher car like altis, leave alone Camry which is heads and shoulders above in segments and price.

so u can "manage" most of these issues, regarding the vibrations , i think some manufacturing/build issues might be there, but i haven't seen too many etios owners with the same complaint. rattles are being reported, but still , that's one thing common to cars in this segment, not that i am condoning what cost cutting Toyota has done, but most of it can be rectified or dealt with.

at seven lakhs and below, i find the gsp etios to be the most value for money and satisfying car. much much over a fiesta/manza/dzire

@GRP, do you own a Spark? If so can you tell any car south of ANHC to compete with Spark in NVH dept. Spark is very very silent till it crosses some 4000 or so rpm. Any beginner would recrank it several times when its on.

@Munish,

Etios is bad in NVH dept, but thats only evident at speed over 100. You get only what you paid for. IMHO, the Etios offers everything ANHC does barring Good Interiors/ NVH/ Exteriors. For this, 2 Lakhs price reduction over ANHC is justified.

Human vibration is defined as the effect of mechanical vibration on the human body and it has long been recognised that the effects of direct vibration on the human body can be serious. It can can lead to blurred vision' date=' loss of balance, loss of concentration, etc. In some cases, certain frequencies can permanently damage internal body organs. .[/quote']

Didn't you TD the car before purchase? If the NVH issue is so severe as you said, think of our majority general public, who drives Ambassador, M&M Jeeps, Indica, Sumo, Govt Bus drivers..

The NVH issue is not that bad as you have anticipated.

Ohh.. !!

The Seat base of the Etios is also very Small?at the Underthigh Reigon' date=' not that much like Nissan Micra though but is worse than Swift or Dzire, which are mainly Criticised.

Although its Width is Good, but where it lacks is to Provide Adequate?Underthigh Support & also the Base Foam part is thin & is more of a Shelf-like & Cushioned Seat.

Persons above 5.6ft height will find it Relatively not so Comfortable.

?

One Logan?Owner at the same time when I was taking a look at the Etios in Toyota Showroom, have also Revealed?some the Dark Secrets about the Etios, like Average Interior Space, Not so properly shaped & sized Boot Space, Wheel Well Inner Cladding, Average Dashboad Plastics, etc[/quote']

Bro,

Indians do not care for comforts if they find resale value and brand.

So though the car is cramped, no under thigh or seating comforts or lacks features they will buy it.

Cause kithna deta hai & Resale kaisa hai. are the only 2 questions important and that's with Toyota & Maruti.

@creativebala, Yes, I own a Spark and even after three and half years of usage, I do not find much degradation in its NVH levels.

I am surprised to note that Etios lacks Weather gaskets in all the four doorsas pointed out by Munish. In fact, after reading this I checked the pictures of Etios to verify it.

@creative bala

I am sorry, you are totally mistaken in understanding my problem. My Etios vibrates excessively while standing at the red light when the AC and the blower is switched "OFF". The vibrations are felt on the steering, arm rest, the doors vibrate and make noise, the roof top is also vibrating. Unless you experience my problem you can't ascertain the gravity of my problem.But is interesting to know that it vibrates at 100 kmph also which is a very common speed on highways!!

Remember the Toyota brand is because of good quality vehicles that it has given to society in past and this Toyota tag alone does not Gaurantee the performance of Etios which is presently failing.Toyota past was bright but present is gloomy and the future may be dark if they do not work on the quality issues of Etios.

It is people like you who infill the over confidence in Toyota to understand any genuine concerns.

As far as the test ride is concerned it is always for a very short duration and that too on the best vehicle made by the company. Moreover the vehicle which is delivered to me is not the same test ride vehicle and therefore my etios can very likely have a defect which will not be common to the test ride vehicle.

This kind of vibrations are normally not available in any car of any engine size in cc, any segment-sedan or hatchback, any price tag INR 1.5L to 25L, any brand-new or old.

A customer who is paying his hard earned money is looking only Performance and not Brand.

As I am reading lot of reviews on the internet I am observing that the vehicles produced during FEB and MAR 2011 are having higher NVH.This is very raw conclusion. Toyota will have the exact data.

If Toyota responds well to consumer issues, we can soon expect a recall from Toyota next month.

As far as cost cutting is concerned - people like you and me did not give any budget to Toyota to design the vehicle. We bought the Etios at the price offered to us- without discount.

I bought Toyota thinking that they have a good record of producing vehicles but if they have given a vehicle with very high noise and vibration level to me, I have all the right in this world to voice my issue.

As you have also bought Etios and spent the hard earned money like me, you can understand my pain and should whole heartedly support me in my fight for justice from Toyota.

Have you ever seen vibrations on the roof of a petrol engine car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkKRKGZxRaY

Also read http://myetios.com/http:/www.myetios.com/etios-entry-level-s edan-disappointment-for-owner.htm

After buying Toyota I have lost charm of owning Toyota Badge.

@creativebala

I totally agree to @grpanesar, even my 11 years old wagon R driven for almost 1 Lakh km has no issue of NVH.

The people from Toyota who came to inspect excessive issues in my etios also complimented me that my wagon R does not have any vibration.They even made a comparative video to study the fact.

This made me really proud.

I can understand your anxiety because you might have never had experienced low NVH in your vehicles including your Ambassador, M&M Jeep, city bus etc.

Take a look at Toyota Etios vibratios

vibrations like tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7OfgznPUeI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu2xECUOTJA

Please try some vehicles of other brand irrespective of the price tag, sedan/hatchback, size in cc apart from Toyota Etios and you will understand the real meaning of comfort and Luxury.

Even the diesel vehicle have better NVH than my petro fuel Toyota Etios.

@creativebala

I have found out a genuine site for Toyota complaints

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Etios/

Here only genuine users can register complaints as the engine number is required.

Now we can really see the number of complaints being registered and the topics or the concerns raised by customers.

Toyota will also learn how to improve their vehicle FOC.

This can become a great platform to see all the real complaints.I have already added my Toyota etios issues.

Till date customers never come in touch with each other and the dealers and the company never tells about the issues being faced by the customers and the problems in their vehicles. This will be open now.

@Friends:

Its okay that the car has vibrations,but I don't believe all this video stuff and all.Believe what is in front of the eyes,I have been reading the views of most of the Etios bashers silently.I simply want to ask if anyone of them has ever TDed it or driven it even for 20kms.

Vibrations-I can make any car vibrate(okay Etios does more than others).I have driven the Etios for more than 900kms once in just two days and believe me friends,the seats may feel thin but still they are quite comfortable and I found my journey(Meerut to Udaipur)quite comfortable(remember I am a Laura owner,and even then I found it comfy for the price).Handling is nimble enough to keep you happy and grip is far better than dZire and Manza thing.

The interior quality and NVH levels are really a bit too much compromised but still the interiors can last 10-15 years(three to four owners).But highway drive is not as much noisy as you may think of(you may only think because most of you don't know).I agree with some of the problems mentioned on the sitehttp://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Etios/ but still I found some of the complains unbelievable.Like one person saying that reverse gear is difficult to engage.I'd ask all the ACIans to TD the Etios in reverse gear.I don't believe this,as the gearbox is a bit notchy but not at all that bad,just drive a Tata Indica/Indigo/Manza and you will find the gearbox quite good.

Jerks while driving,this is the first person to make this complain,I haven't found it and with many of my known owners never ever complaining it.Ask this owner if he really knows how to drive,I am sure the person if either new or he don't like to shift down.

EDPM gasket is really needed to be installed.

and the issues I agree are:-

There are other important features missing from Toyota Etios-

Absence of second bulb on left side of reverse light.

Driver seat height adjustment.

Poor quality of interior plastic.

Absence of speakers on rear.

Poor quality door handles.

Poor quality light doors.

But performance,handling,braking and space are good and cannot be complained....HEY YOU ARE PAYING EVEN LESSER THAN A SWIFT DZIRE...

EVEN THE ACI MAGAZINE TOO HAS DECLARED THE ETIOS A BETTER CHOICE AS COMPARED TO DZIRE OR MANZA.TSiVipul2011-06-26 01:38:37