ragav20693

Totally disappointed with Etios

My friend wanted to buy a sedan and we decided to take a look at VW Vento, Ford Fiesta , Honda City and the Etios.So, I accompanied my friend to take a look at the Toyota Etios. We were initially spending time lookinfg at the Fortuner and the Prius. Then we began to look at the Toyota Etios. Here is my opinion:

1. Single wiper (For a car costing 5 lac or above , thats just stupid)

2.Bland design (It has no design at all either at the front or at the back ,so poor design that its the most bland car ever)(The Honda is 1st ,Ford 2 nd and VW third)

3.Interior quality not upto mark(My friends' fiesta has better interiors, plastic quality and HVAC controls)(VW 1st,Honda and Ford tie)

4. Well, its very spacious but its a thing which wouldn't matter to my friend or in any case myself.

5.A floaty ride with poor handling and steering (Toyota hallmarks)doesn't has any feel. ( here again, the Fiesta has a nice on-center feel and has great handling while the Honda and VW have good mix of handling and comfort.

We decided that she buy the Ford Fiesta Zxi because it feels solid with good handling and overall comfort for daily driving.

Having driven a Toyota Camry my parents had a few years back, I expected an interior that is on par if not better than the class but the etios is a great disappointment. Also, is Toyota willing to make cars that are not boring to look and drive(Fiesta puts Etios handling to shame). Also, a few questions for u people:

Do dealers in India don't compete with themselves on price like in the US? Models like the Fiesta which has a replacement in waiting don't come at a dicount.

@ragav20693: Let me respond ths ome of the points raised by you

1. Some models of the three pointed star as well supercars also have a single wiper blade.

2. To be expected.

3. Surprising to say the least. But then it is engineered to a price. You cannot expect Camry quality at 5L.

4. This is an individual need.

5. Again as expected.

The bottom line, is wait and see. Does it meet the demands of the majority of the massive bookings or not?

2.Bland design (It has no design at all either at the front or at the back ' date='so poor design that its the most bland car ever)(The Honda is 1st ,Ford 2 nd and VW third)

[/quote']

Bland design in this segment is the norms. If you consider the fact, even the Honda City had bland design just before 2 yrs and it had better interiors and was Much costlier than Etios. So, this bland design will never be a put of for the target customers, they will be happy as long as they have Toyota's reliability.

I can say that the Etios is priced well but the plastics are rubbish ,it of quality of Estilo level . The Swift and Dzire have better plastics. Lets wait and see the ownership experience in 2-3 years and if they hear rattle then it won't be a surprise.

@ragav20693 : Topic : I'm totally disappointed with the Toyota Etios....

Who would not ?

The fact of the matter remains that the car was made to a specific price point.

And, Toyota knows fully well that they can always get away with their brand name in bringing in all the required numbers.  I'm sure their (Indian Toyota) service may not be on par with that of the Global Toyota.  So, I am not surprised to see that even their vehicles are not on par with those of Global Toyota.  There is a saying in Telugu which loosely translates into "you will get a roti as per the quantity of the dough you have in your hand".  So, less money, less quality.  Toyota or no Toyota.  It's the universal truth. 

@Ragavyou are comparing wrong cars. Etios is a shade below city' date=' fiesta and vento.You can compare Etios with D'zire, Manza and Logan as they are entry level sedans

[/quote']

Well, yes. But price wise, the Etios can be compared to the Fiesta, from the price perspective. The Fiesta is massively discounted at regualar intervals.

First of all Toyota has come up with the Etios and the Liva with a clear cut objective- they want to snatch the market share from Maruti which Dzire and Swift command at the moment.

They know in India people are "brand" conscious. The other day I had a client of mine telling me that he had booked a Etios. I asked him whether he took a test drive. He said its a TOYOTA car, has to be good. So you see. He also said that there is a ON rate of 40k for the car at the moment if you want it fast. Can you believe that? So Toyota has managed to achieve their initial objective quite successfully.

The car has very bland exteriors and poor plastic which make it look like a cheap chinese car. Qualis also looked horrrible, but it was a best seller.

I agree the quality of the plastics are much better than the Etios. Please don't compare the Etios with the Camry.

What I'm waiting to see is How does Toyota ASS match up with this huge spurt of cars now.

I dont know about the engine, but it looks like an old powerhorse. But I'm pretty sure Toyota will relaunch the car next year with the 1.2 L engine which they are planning for the Liva.

Etios is having the batch. Dont insert Camry in this story. Remember that you are purchasing the Toyota"s lowest price edition vehicle ever in the universe. But in india, Fiesta is one of the Mid sized luxuries sedan , but it Ford"s mid priced car in india. You are comparing "Toyota"s cheapest ver. with the Ford"s mid Ranged ver.". This itself proved the victory of Toyota Etios. Also keep in mind that you are talking about the 5.5lakh sedan, so do not expect morethan your pocket size. If capable to spend more, then you will not be Complainted about Etios by comparing with Vento/Fiesta etc...

I  feel Etios is a good product and Toyota should be thumped at its back.

It serves its intended market very well.

To be honest No vehicle sold in India below 15 lakhs has quality similar to its even Asian counterparts so Toyota can't be criticized.

The competition's quality least said the better.Dzire is nothing but swift a boot and we know how quality is of Swift

As I've also checked it last week & found its Quite Impressive at that price with Superbly Calibrated Essential components like Engine, Transmission & Suspension bits, with Scalpel used on Interiors or Plastic bits.

Good bits I've noticed being;

-BodyWork & Paint finishing is Top-Class.

-Overall Stance of Car is good, with Front Stance resembling to that of Innova's(just only in design not in height).

-Centre console design & Metre Dial is good looking.

-Comfortable Front Seats.

-Excellent Gear-Shift.

-Proper Sized & Nice looking 3-Spoke Steering wheel. I liked the Non-Airbag, Steering mounted controls type Steering more. 

-Small Tray in Dash console on Left Side, just alongwith Dash speaker & Immediately below the Windscreen.

Minus bits, which I didn't liked;

-Some Body Panels are Really very Light & thin like that of Boot-lid.

-No Plastic Mud-Claddings inside the Wheel-Arches, meant for Road Noise Intrusions.

-No Pull-Type Door Handles, which became an Industry Norm now. 

Overall the Car is Good looking with Acceptable Quality materials backed with Excellent 'TOYOTA' brand tag & Reputation(not referred to Recalls here), which hugely Justifies its Price tag with its both Pros & Cons.

But with Petrol prices Sky-Rocketing at Rs.65/litre today, 1.4 D4-D Diesel variant is the Call for the day today.

Expect it by Q4 2011 at base price of Rs.5.70 lacs.

1. Single wiper (For a car costing 5 lac or above ' date=' thats just stupid)
2.Bland design (It has no design at all either at the front or at the back ,so poor design that its the most bland car ever)(The Honda is 1st ,Ford 2 nd and VW third)
3.Interior quality not upto mark(My friends' fiesta has better interiors, plastic quality and HVAC controls)(VW 1st,Honda and Ford tie)
4. Well, its very spacious but its a thing which wouldn't matter to my friend or in any case myself.
5.A floaty ride with poor handling and steering (Toyota hallmarks)doesn't has any feel. ( here again, the Fiesta has a nice on-center feel and has great handling while the Honda and VW have good mix of handling and comfort. [/quote']

1) One of a Cost-cutting Measure, but Its effectiveness is nearly 80% to that of Conventional Twin-Wiper Setup.

2) Its specifically based on Personal choice. So No Comments for this.

3) Its Interior Quality is at par with its Segment, if not the Exceptional one.

Its more like of Ford Ikon or of Figo type than Fiesta's(Obviously this is expected as its base version is even Rs.1.4 lacs expensive than that of Etios's).

4) Yes, Its Spacious but all that Space is at the Cost of Thin Seats, Thin Door Panels/Trims & other bits.

5) I haven't TD-en it yet.

But about one thing I'm sure that No One can match the Sheer Dynamics brilliance & feel of Fords & Mitsubishis.

Can't expect anything more, it's just that Toyota has done needful to satisfy the Indian customer who is on the lookout for a bargain and to take on the likes of Dzire et al and also the expensive hatches. What it brings to the segment is Toyota brand value at a price. 

@Ragav

Sorry to say,but in my views wrong cars are being compared,just see:

Etios is nowhere as pricey as the Honda City or a Vento or a Fiesta.

I agree that whatever we get at 6.3 lac(I mean V variant),the car feels very downmarket.but for G variant at the price it is possible to adjust with what we get.

Comparison with a Fiesta may look like an injustice with the Etios as there is a lot of price difference between the both(even the EXI variant of Fiesta costs 7k more than the Etios V),and handling is the field where the Fiesta even puts the Honda City to the shame.

And in terms of quality also Etios is nowhere near the mentioned three cars(ie:Fiesta,City,Vento),but price says something else.

My opinion about Etios is also is that this a poor designed car From Toyoto. This sedan comes with the kerb weight of a hatch back and If I remember correct the 1.5L engine is only 80bhp. Plastics color is fine but quality is very poor. The dash board is even vibrating when we push. It cannot be even compared with D'zire. D'zire is an excellent car. When I inquired about the power and all the sales executive was saying that one should not question Toyota's design as if big brands never makes mistakes. I didn't even wanted to test drive the car after having a look at the car 

Etios is a segment below the cars being compared. Compare it to Dzire and Manza. This is a car for those who just want to have the sedan shape. If you are looking for quality, you have to have looser purse strings.

The disappointments indicated are seems to be quite personal factors.

Now a person can get a Brand New Toyota product at  around Rs.6.50L and that is really good thing.

Etios's interior as well as exteriors are acceptable especially the exterior which which I personally liked as it looks like a proper executive car. Not too big not too small.

The positive sides of Etios is it's

- long term ownership experience ,

- build quality,

- peace of mind,

- safety, etc...    that we have already observed and experienced in Toyota's products that are sold in big numbers across India and are being literally slogged such as Qualis and Innova the favorite among people as well as Tour operators. 

I have seen people who still own the Toyota Qualis (Green & Grey Colour Scheme ) which has crossed 2.5L Kms and the engine is still in best of condition and it's fun to drive the same.

@Tejasmehta990

Its good to see someone who has really observed the Etios as deeply as I have done.

The TD of Etios made me love the car,its very nimble around the city,you don't require those continuous gearshifts there is enough performance to shame even some bigger cars and steering may be slow on response but it isn't as bad as do the people highlight it.

Space is fantastic,and having a Fiesta with one of my friend,sorry to hurt the feelings of my forummates,but there is nothing in a Fiesta except handling for which it can outrun the Etios.

Even when it comes to performance,an Etios does outrun a Fiesta-S and after sales service and reliability are a top given.

And yes,numbers do speak.....

I too own an Innova,my car(as I feel its like a car not a UV)has clocked over 70K kms,but just one service and it always feel nearly as good as new(note:I haven't said it is same as new).

One more question,How to delete our useless posts,if possible,like I made one by mistake just above?

All said and done the top two saleswise in the lower C segment will be the DZire and the Etios.

The brand name Toyota is enough to pull crowds. And they have some 12,000 bookings for the Etios despite 2010 being the worst year for Toyota as far as recalls and adverse publicity is concerned.

@TSiVipul

What do you need more than that? Give due credit where it is due.Yes! numbers do speak but not for long.

People in India value certain brands a la Suzuki,Toyota, Honda . The one which doesn't deserve that much is certainly Suzuki. It struggles to sell more than 2000 units a month in USA (a market of 10 million) but it sells 1 million in India(a market of 2 million). But I believe it won't last long. It will get crushed by the competition. That is why Suzuki would be well off by a complete takeover by VW with all their efforts on being the no. 1 automaker. But it is a wrong approach. GM Corp. was the largest automaker from 1932-2007. Taken over by Toyota (2008-2010). 2011 will be a three way struggle because GM is resurgent because its strong presence in China , Russia and Brazil.VW is also strong in Russia,China, Brazil.I don't believe Toyota will retain the sales crown for long(5 years down the line). VW beware of GM , they could spoil your party.

sms lingo edited out

sgiitk2011-06-23 04:27:39

@gego&bones

I have become accustomed to hearing that sort of brand snobs in India. A classmate of mine swears that the Suzuki Swift is the best made car on earth iresspective of price. I have to lol everytime I hear that ignorance.

@Ragav20693

You are absolutely right,and its not that I am against others,or I am favouring the Etios.

Its just the matter of comparision,comparision of four a car with three cars which are a segment above it,and costing about 150% of its price...Hope you understand what I wanna say..

What Suzuki sells in US,I don't know.What I know is that Suzuki currently knows what Indians want and hence they are leading.

All points mentioned by you are right to an extent and I accept them all,we are not here to argue,but learn...

Suzuki sells SX4,Kizashi ,Grand Vitara and the Equator mid-size pickup. They were not able to sell the Swift in the US(2006-10 model),bcos it wasn't able to pass NHSTA (US crash tests). The 2011 model was developed to pass those tests but VW has delayed its introduction indefinitely.

Both VW and Suzuki are weak in the US market. The Big Detroit 3- Chrysler,Ford,GM (47 % marketshare combined) and Big Japanese 3- Toyota,Honda,Nissan (30% combined ) and Hyundai-Kia (H-4%,K-3% ) are the ones who hold the market. Smaller companies like Mazda,Subaru and standalone luxury marques like JLR,BMW,MB,Volvo,Saab make up the rest.

In the past 40 years, VW America has not turned a profit for 35 years. The last time they made a profit was in 2001 or 2002.

americans prefer cars different than others around the world do. They like it big , mean and fat. a 4.2 ltr engine and turbos and superchargers attached to a crappy automatic transmission.

The reason for American cars not doing well around the world is the fact that they are made for American. They have straight roads, you can even go asleep while driving and the road wouldn't turn. While the japs make car for city roads which are compact, the Americans cannot adjust to these cars.

sarabjeet2011-01-21 07:01:49

@Sarabjeet

You are absolutely right,Americans just believe in insane accelerating cars,Muscle cars have origin in America.Many examples are Chevrolet Camaro,Chevelle,Shelby GT 500,Plymouth Hemi Cuda,Ford Mustang and many more...

While Japanese are more inclined towards Tuner cars,again Tuners have their origin in Japan itself.Examples are Nissan Skyline,350/370Z,Mitsubishi Lancer,Eclipse,Toyota Supra etc.