TSiVipul

Turbo- and Superchargers, Difference?

Turbocharger may be one of the most familiar word to most of us,and same is with Supercharger,but my problem is that I don't know what a supercharger is smiley9.gif ,so I don't know the difference too.Here are some of my questions:

1)What is a supercharger?

2)How does it differ from a turbocharger?

3)Why do some cars use the supercharger,while others use turbocharger?

4)Which one is better and more expensive too?

HELP NEEDED smiley19.gif

Both SC and TC make the engine breathe at a pressure than ambient. This allows for a higher power output than a normally aspirated engine of the same size.

In a TC the exhaust gases turn a turbine which is connected to another turbine in the inlet side. It is the latter which increases the inlet pressure. Advantage - you use some of the energy of the exhaust gases and thus gain in fuel efficiency. Disadvantage: turbo lag.  Almsot universal in diesels also becoming popular in petrols (TJet).

Supercharger: Uses an air compressor driven by the engine (normally by a belt). Advantage: No turbo lag. Disadvantage: Less gain in fuel economy, Found in high(est) end petrols - like the Jaguar XJS.

A Turbo is also called the Turbo Supercharger.

Does this mean that a turbo runs mechanically while a super runs electrically....partial confusion!!!!!

If supercharger is better,then why does the cars like Mitsubishi Lancer Evo-X,uses a turbo but not a supercharger.

Supercharger: Uses an air compressor driven by the engine (normally by a belt). Advantage: No turbo lag. Disadvantage: Less gain in fuel economy' date=' Found in high(est) end petrols - like the Jaguar XJS.

[/quote']

I am not wrong a supercharger sucks initial power from the engine and the power gain is hence lesser than in say a Bi-turbo ?

@Sarabjeet..

Again I am confused,If a supercharger sucks initial then why are the top end supercars supercharged but not turbocharged...

And yes,I remember,Porsche 911 GT2 RS(in fact the complete 911 series) uses twin turbo.....THEN WHAT IS TWIN TURBO???Is it two turbochargers installed one after other???

A supercharger is driven by the engine while a turbocharger is driven by the exhaust gases of the engine.

A turbo primarily forces more air(oxygen) into the engine than normal thus increasing the rate of combustion.

A twin turbo engine reduces turbo lag. eg. Ford Ecoboost Twin Turbo V6(365 hp in FWD based cars,380 in RWD),BMW 4.4 L TT V8(400 hp).

Some manufacturers don't produce supercharged engines and are averse to that tech. Audi,GM are the only ones that put out good supercharged engines.

Audi S4- 3.0 L DFI V6 - Supercharged (333 hp)

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1- 6.2 L V8 Supercharged (638 hp)

Cadillac CTS-V (Sedan,Coupe,Wagon)-(Without dry sump ubrication and twin intercoolers found in ZR1)- 556 hp,551 Lb-Ft Torque.

Supercharhers tend to produce more power and is happy to be revved and that's why its used in supercars and the expensive ones.

Does this mean that a turbo runs mechanically while a super runs electrically....partial confusion!!!!!

A supercharger is driven by the engine mostly through a belt. A Turbo is driven by the exhaust gases. Read my post again - carefully.

A supercharger is less economical in fuel since there is no 'free' energy to use.

sgiitk2011-01-21 05:34:05

There are 2 arrangements in twin turbos- Parallel and sequential. In parallel twin turbos, there are two turbos which share the turbocharging duties at all times.In sequential twin turbos, there is a low flow and a high flow turbo. Low flow turbo is used at low speeds while the high flow turbo is used at higher RPMs and therefore speeds.

a Bi-turbo or twin turbo consists of two turbo's.

a small and a big turbo.

Initial while accelerating from zero the small turbo nulls the effect of the turbo lag caused by the bigger turbo. In term it give better acceleration also.

@Ragav actually Mercedes prefers Bi-turbo in supercars also, all AMGs are Bi-turbo and not supercharged because superchargers are less reliable. In supercars they do the duty because a supercar is ment for a sunday outing.

While on other hand BMW prefers Bi-turbo for diesel.

Next question:

Which one of the two offers better performance,and why??

Because I am unable to understand,if supercharger is better then why are twin turbos existing in the top end segment,and if superchargers are less reliable,then why do they exist?

Next question:

Which one of the two offers better performance' date='and why??

Because I am unable to understand,if supercharger is better then why are twin turbos existing in the top end segment,and if superchargers are less reliable,then why do they exist?

[/quote']

Actually I mean,if superchargers are less economical,then why do they exist?

The notion that superchargers are unreliable is a myth. Reliability mainly depends on the make. Cadillac CTS-V has above average reliability in US rated by Consumer Reports which puts Porsche, Cadillac, Acura,Lexus having top notch reliability.

Next question:
Which one of the two offers better performance' date='and why??
[/quote']

Simple logic superchargers are driven through the engine from a belt system, which has to have wear and tear which is not the case in turbos as you are guiding exhaust air.

There is a reason why Buggati choose turbos over superchargers and why Mclaren F1 stayed away from superchargers.

A perfectly tuned Bi-turbo will give you the almost same amount of power an supercharger might give you.

Ps: there are after -mart Tri-turbos also.
sarabjeet2011-01-21 06:38:48

What is the effect on back pressure of turbocharger?

Both (SC & TC) improve air pressure (i.e. more amount of oxygen which helps in burning) in engine. But how knocking is controlled? And if knocking is controlled by increasing quantity of diesel/ petrol why not there is low fuel efficiency when turbo wake up?

Performance filters (like K&N) also do the same job of inserting more air in combustion cylinder then why performance filters are not better than TC/SC (also there will be no turbo lag)?

smiley3.gif Tri-turbo....are you sure???

This belt driving logic seems to be logical...Can't there be automated superchargers which run themselves according to the engine speeds??Because its easy for a belt ran system to go out of pace.

@Alok

thats the reason why after-mart turbo should be avoided, a company manufactured Turbo is kept in mind while programming the engines ECU which controls the intake of the turbo. There is marginal FE loss when turbo wakes up but it is balanced as you tend to put less pressure on the gas padel and there is a rich mixture of air and fuel.

Performance filters do not force in the air at pressure like tubros do

@Vipul

yes BMW is working on it though a rumor yet they will use it on X5 and X6

Tri-turbo is the result Hot rods and japs tuning
sarabjeet2011-01-21 06:49:59

Does that four turbos means two twin turbos or four of them ??smiley34.gif

No , Buggati has 16 cylinders. So basically it is an independent turbo for 4 cylinders each. They are tuned to work together.

Four turbos working simultaneously,aren't there any chances of any one of them running out of cycle...I mean difference in charging provided by the turbos..it may affect the performance and FE too.

Hi supercharger ( mercedes Kompressor )is similar to turbo charger mercedes 350 or 220 CDi) say like fan consisting of blades (both of them pump more fresh air by compressing(forcing) into cylinders of engine)

supercharger is driven by ENGINE crankshaft thru belt , Where as turbocharger is driven by Exhaust gasses forced out of engine cylinder,

Supercharger as it is driven by engine its QUICK TO REACT . Unlike the Exhaust driven turbocharger   there will be a turbo lag,which needs higher engine RPM to force the blades to rotate and give more power ,

Which one is best depends on type of CAR ,

Quicker and expensive shld be Super charger, Economical shld be Turbocharger. But off late we had noticed some latest generation /Twin scroll turbo charges & Variable geometry Turbochargers competing with super chargers .

Volks wagen had combined both of Supercharge r+ Tubocharger called TFSI to over come this issue ,

some mfrs are giving two turbo chargers (smaller +big ) exhaust driven turbochargers so that smaller turbo reacts quicker in intial take off and the bigger turbo takes on after.

HOPE YOU COULD FIND YOUR ANSWER ANAND