sudeepd

Lubricant for Drive Chain of Pulsar 180DTSi

Hi there,

1. Please tell me what lubricant should be used for Drive Chain of Pulsar 180DTSi.

I tried 20W40 oil but it drips even if small amount is used. And because of this (dripping) the chain is lacking oil and hence makes irritating noise when rotated while the bike is stationary.

Can I use grease for lubricating the chain, as it does not drip? Or should I use gear oil (SAE90) for lubricating the chain, as it somewhat thick (the chances of dripping will be reduced)?

2.Also the chain is collides with the chain cover when the 1st gear is engaged (while stationary) despite adjusting the chain. What is the problem?

Please help.

Using thick oil would defeat the purpose of lubrication, single wt. 40 is fine. Thick oil would not get inside the rollers, grease is disastrous, combined with sand and dirt, it would become emery. Don't use gear oil, not only is it too thick, it has EP additives which are used for etching, in case of chains, they would wear the chain and sprockets out prematurely.

Using thick oil would defeat the purpose of lubrication' date=' single wt. 40 is fine. Thick oil would not get inside the rollers, grease is disastrous, combined with sand and dirt, it would become emery. Don't use gear oil, not only is it too thick, it has EP additives which are used for etching, in case of chains, they would wear the chain and sprockets out prematurely.[/quote']

The chain makes irritating noise when the rear wheel rotates (I think this must be because the chain is lacking lubrication). But even after I lubricate the chain (obviously with SAE 20W40) the noise still persists. I lubricate in the following way=

I put one drop of oil (by dropper) on the each side [there are two sides (if viewed from rear of bike you'll come to know) of a roller, right?) of every roller of the chain.

Now despite putting single drop, the oil drips when the bike is parked.

OK tell me if the following is correct.

One former Bajaj Service Center Owner (he is good friend of mine) said that the slackness of chain should be adjusted such that when the chain is moved upwards the chain should not go above the window hole.i.e, the chain should move only up to the upper edge of the peep window.

I adjusted in that way and hence the noise (while the chain rotates) comes.

After adjusting I measured the slackness. It comes to about 12-15mm. Despite keeping so much tightness why does the chain strike the chain cover when I engage 1st gear from Neutral?

Using thick oil would defeat the purpose of lubrication' date=' single wt. 40 is fine. Thick oil would not get inside the rollers, grease is disastrous, combined with sand and dirt, it would become emery. Don't use gear oil, not only is it too thick, it has EP additives which are used for etching, in case of chains, they would wear the chain and sprockets out prematurely.[/quote']

Hi Gurkha,

I read the URL u specified. Its a bit complicated.

I would like if u please check out this link related to your above opinion of not to use grease for lubricating the chain.

http://www.indiabike.com/infobank/your_bike.htm

After opening this link scroll all the way down and read the 6th point carefully.

U will see "6>>Clean

drive chain and sprockets (with kerosene and brush) regularly (every

2000 km) and lubricate it with thick oil or grease."

Still will u say that not to use grease for lubricating the chain?

Please clear my doubt.

You know my stand on grease on chain and I have given the technical aspect of it as well. The Sportrider link is far more a better authority than Indiabike. Kerosene and brush is fine, after that run a strong pressure of water to wash away the Kerosene and grime as the residual kerosene will act as lube solvent and ruin the chain. Let it dry completely and then lube it.

buddy do one thing get the gulf can for lubricating the chain .you apply it like deodrant. just spray on the chain.or buy putoline no fling chain oil.it is safe for o ring chains also.if yuo have the no fling oil then you can remove the chain cover also.they say we dare you to fling the oil off i use the putoline chain spray i will also say the same thing there is no way it will fling. happy riding.