dr_nishu

Hyundai's Alto rival is Eon.

This will have inital rush just after the launch. And later people will settle for the alto for it pricing' date=' reliable engine and maintenance costs.[/quote']

I agree, I don't think after an initial craze people would love this car at this price. Look at the price list in this forum. 2.69 Lacs for a non AC and 3.11 for AC + PS is too high.

I think GM should be watching closing and may come up with a Sparkling package with Spark.

Ex-Showroom Prices for CHENNAI

Model

Ex-Showroom Prices (Rs.)

Santro NonA/C (Solid)     285,344

Santro NonA/C (Metallic)     288,897

Santro GL Plus (Solid)     353,661

Santro GL Plus (Metallic)     357,213

Santro GLS (Solid)     376,196

Santro GL Plus (Solid) - LPG     377,020

Santro GLS (Metallic)     379,749

Santro GL Plus (Metallic) - LPG     380,573

Santro GLS (Solid) - LPG     397,979

Santro GLS (Metallic) - LPG     401,532

When a Santro with dated looks can do say 6000 k units a month at the above mentioned prices and an Alto can do 5X that figures looking like a 'prehistoric relic' I don't see any problems with an Eon doing decent numbers at the prices mentioned. For a car looking as good and interiors as good as the Eon I think 20-30k is a reasonable price to pay.

There is a diff of 30k vis a vis Alto and Eon (first 3 variants)

Alto Lxi: 2.81 lacs and Eon Era: 3.12 lacs

I personally would prefer Eon to Alto anyday with this pricing

But when you compare this to Hyundai's own Santro then this pricing looks a tad too high.

Santro GL plus at 3.5 lacs (plus there are discounts/offers) seems a far better choice then with better engine, power, features...

Early to say but i don't know how much of this price overlapping with help hyundai

To me 3.11 is the base price,that is very close to the price projected by some hyundai loyalists for the top end.The top end version at 3.70 is just 50k lower than the new Swift and hyundai calls this introductory price. Does hyundai know the price tag of the Brio ?

Some people were talking about the end of Maruti now it is time for starting a thread about hyundai's end.Who are they trying to fool,even Toyota could not get away with etios.This marks the end of hyundai's dream run in India.Alto competitor at price of Brio LOL.

@Crazy Doc: Eon is nowhere priced near Brio. Here are Brio prices for your reference:

Model: Honda Brio

City : CHENNAI

E MT      : Rs. 404,000

S MT      : Rs. 445,000

S(O) MT      : Rs. 500,000

V MT      : Rs. 522,000

Eon prices are as follows:

Hyundai

@Durago Dude

In today's world 30k is not much a difference to stop you from not buying a straight H,given hyundai's service cost record,Brio will be more pocket friendly. Even if a customer does not want to stretch to Brio then Zen begins from 2.9 and Wagon R is there from 3.47.Hyundai have been asking for a premium since i10 but this time I don't think they will be able to get away with it easily, 5-7k will be possible but that too will be at the cost of -2k from Santro.Just wait till next Auto expo Maruti will show how to make VFM cars for the masses.Crazy Doc2011-10-13 15:20:57

Nice car with alot of Nice features of a Premium hatchbacks like Tilt Steering, etc.

But for the name sake of 800cc car, pricing beyond 3.2 lac of any of its variants is a Tricky affair, especially the fact that most of the 1.0, 1.1 & 1.2L cars fall in the same bracket, like Alto K10, Estilo, Spark, Santro, i10, Wagon-R, Beat Petrol & Figo Petrol.

Its top end variant even overlaps with the base(LXi) & 2nd(EXi) variant of 1.2 Figo also.

Hi to all of you,

I am back from my tour and missed out the fun of unvieling of Eon and

it's pricing.  Read every post here and on the various other fora and paper

coverages. 

To me the pricing is OK.  It is neither steep nor low. 

Primarily it is meant for small families (or even big families who already

own other bigger, better cars/SUVs/MPVs - like most of us) who are

on the lookout for a first car, but loaded with premium features and with

good safety (remember that in our country, for 80 to 90% of prospective

car buyers an airbag is the ultimate safety feature).

Such target customers are there in plenty, who drive with ony one or

two passengers about 80 to 90% of the total running time. 

Looking for a small engined car with good mileage to act as a second car

or even a third car (like in my own case) for exclusively city based driving

where you do not need much power.  For example, going to and coming back

from office, market etc., and not for inter-city trafficing or when one wants to use the car

for moving either 3 or more people or luggage.  Anyway,

these prospective buyers have bigger, better equipped and powerful cars for

doing job on those days when there is such a requirement. 

And, these people do not mind spending big for feature-laden modern car.

And, Hyundai is targetting them with Eon.  We can say that it is a

a premium entry level car (like a  Brio) and not an absolute entry level car.

As someone said, Maruti will continue to be the king among such absolutely

entry level cars.  Eon may fail as an Alto-killer, but will be equally successful

for Hyundai.  And, it may not be exactly proper for us to compare this Eon

with other 1.1L and 1.2L engined cars.

rameshbabu.n2011-10-14 00:31:18

it may not be exactly proper for us to compare this Eon

with other 1.1L and 1.2L engined cars.

?

Since it's priced on par with other better equipped 1.1 and 1.2 cars every prospective buyer would compare them and Eon will come out as a loser after the initial hoopla is over .

Come on guys we are expecting too much now. With respect to the equipments offered hyundai has justified its pricing.

Alto doesn't even come with half these features. Hyundai has ventured into this segment with a fully loaded car that we have never seen in this segment before. Now maruti will be forced to get a Alto say with swift inspired interiors. God bless competition

Honda's engine is light years ahead of competition, hyundais engine aren nowhere near. Santro, Getz all are fuel guzzlers, for that Maruti engines are much better. It makes sense to pay a little extra for the Brio rather for the Korean Hyundais.

Yesterday noon I have tested EON on short patch of 2-3 kms. My take on the car is under:

1. Exterior and interior look stunning and can not be compared with Alto at all. Alto is generation old in front of EON. The space management of the car is just unbelievable. I am 5.9 and we were 3 inside the car and all were more or less of same height, but we all were comfortable and we were not short of leg space in rear. So space and sitting comfort are absolutely fantastic. Boot space  is also very generous. So for looks, interior fit and finish, it is far ahead of Alto, Wagon-r, A* and EON deserves the premium.

2. Engine: The engine is peppy enough for city commute, but it has higher level of vibration and noise compared to Alto -800. So the refinement of engine is bit on lower side. But specifically for city driving it is fine. Here I will prefer Santro/Spark against EON, if my driving is not too much and least concerned for monthly fuel bill but performance.

3. Overall: If you are comparing ALTO v/s A* v/s EON v/s SPARK v/s SANTRO then my take will be :

A)  For F.E, look, space, city driving it will be EON>Spark>Santro>Alto>A* B)  For overall better driving pleasure, pick up, space and possibility of highway driving I will select Spark>Santro>Eon.

C) For ASS, Resale, Maintenance cost : Alto > Eon =Santro > A* > Spark.

# The test vehicle was having some power steering issue and it was complained by so many people at the showroom. The electronic power steering was continuously connecting and disconnecting power to the steering. So I can not judge the driving comfort with respect to power steering. Hyundai should look this issue very seriously, if they do not want to spoil the party.

Hope my this post will ease some confusion for prospective buyers.

All the best.

nikvint2011-10-14 05:36:48

@Durago Dude
            In today's world 30k is not much a difference to stop you from not buying a straight H' date='given hyundai's service cost record,Brio will be more pocket friendly. Even if a customer does not want to stretch to Brio then Zen begins from 2.9 and Wagon R is there from 3.47.Hyundai have been asking for a premium since i10 but this time I don't think they will be able to get away with it easily, 5-7k will be possible but that too will be at the cost of -2k from Santro.Just wait till next Auto expo Maruti will show how to make VFM cars for the masses.[/quote']

I agree to Crazy Doc. Now days people would not mind spending an extra over brand value and road presence. Honda is any day a premium brand then Hyundai.

@S Star: I'd like to know which Honda and which Hyundai you are comparing. Without diesel tech Honda isn't going anywhere and it's come down to huge discounts now; I agree it's a fantastic brand and great to own. Eon and Brio are in two different segments and there is a wide price difference between the two as I have mentioned above. Durango Dude2011-10-14 07:16:11

Although i do agree that nowdays people can shell out some extra bucks if they get a brand.

However, in India number of such people are quite less when compared to price concious people. Otherwise Alto won't be seeing the numbers it's selling (although it's nowhere in terms of quality/refinement). There are numerous other such cases also..

Even i own an Alto and think that Eon is better than it anyday if people can shell out extra bucks. Only time will tell how much Alto's market share it is able to capture.

I was almost goin to buy a BEAT and then heard about the EON launch and thought about waiting for it. As now the wait is over i am a lil disappointed with the pricing of EON. I think that it should have been 10-20k less than what they have announced. Now i am confused even more after hearing about the facelift of  BEAT in 2012. Any suggestion guys.

The segment is getting soo overcrowded that over lap is inevitable. It all boils down to personal preferences. All that we can do is chill and wait till next month for the ACI Top 10 numbers. Problem is we keep comparing new cars to dud's in the Maruti line up viz Estilo. Tell me how many guys on this forum have an Estilo? If it's going to be such a good deal why aren't people buying it? Why don't you compare it to the base Punto(1.2) which retails this festive season for something like 3.87L if this isn't a bargain then what is, why isn't it selling even at this bargain is my question. Durango Dude2011-10-14 10:58:12

@Durago Dude

Do you really think anyone will buy a car without a/c and power steering these days.

Just wait for the initial frenzy to settle down,3/4 months later we will know who the real winner is.

Price of Eon's power steering+a/c+front power window model is close to that of Wagon R's (you may call that as a dud or inferior product),several other models including santro,beat,zen,etc come in this price range.Eon does not match the refinement levels of these cars and the top end is close to Brio and i10.

Market may prove me wrong in my assumptions but all these cars including Santro was available in this price range for years but nothing could match Alto's sales .

People are looking for value not cheap cars,this car ain't cheap for the features it offer.It does not have much to offer under those good looking plastics.

@rameshbabu sir,

I would recommend you to look at Brio than this Eon as it is a perfect car with perfect engine. How ever good this car be, this car can't match Brio since you need to take hill ride now and then.

Thank god, Eon saved Spark.

As expected by many, Eon landed in no mans land.

IMHO, the target customers of Eon is pretty less, the reasons being

1. Budget consious will remain with Alto/Spark, as they are still very cheaper than Eon

2. Maintainance consious won't look at Eon as it will be of no match to Alto's spares price.

3. FE consious would still prefer Alto/Wagon-R, as Hyundai mostly returns half of ARAI's figures.

4. For non-budget consious, add few more and buy a Brio

5. For performance consious, Eon will never be an answer

When the Nano was lauched i thought the bike market would be hit. Reality was different. The ex showroom price zoomed upto 1.4 Lakhs and despite being a good proposition for a wannabe car owner who rode bikes all his life, the nano fell behind. Simply put a bike is a bike and a nano is not a bike.

Coming to the Eon. I'd say the interiors and exteriors command a premium in this segment. BUT;

1. Does it appeal as much as an Alto to a first time car buyer?

2. Will it be as inexpenisve to maintain as an Alto over the years of ownership ? (current hyundai small cars are definetly not)

3. Will it be as fuel efficient as an Alto? 

The TV ads portray it to be a better choice than many small cars and not directly as the best small car. But were not just talking about small cars here are we? Were talking about beating the segment king, and its challengers. Which is were atleast 90 % first time buyers would be confident of buying a tested maruti than a Fluidic small Hyundai. Agreed Eon is spacious looks good etc

But IMHO at the end of the day it would be never be a true alternative to the small car king the alto, and rather be a chic small car to be owned in addition to the family sedan.

This is a good launch from Hyundai. But I don't expect it to dethrone Alto ever. Yes, there are chances that it may become bestselling Hyundai dethroning i10, which will be factored by many reasons, like Brio, no diesel engine etc. The price though good is nothing shattering. 25k more will get you a Wagon R, and if the Eon's engine is being criticised vis-a-vis Alto's Wagon R's K10 will eat it for breakfast.

Base model will be solely rejected because of no AC, and people will flock into Maruti showrooms. When it comes to higher models, we know the kind of discounts Maruti gives.

Also, there are further changes in the Market coming at it will be down to the Maruti YP8 coming soon to define the lines.

My guess10-12k per month. Alto remains at >20k per month.

Had a chance to check out the Eon this evening. It was in a nearby stockyard. What I felt can be summarized like :

1. Pricing : Fair, and not too much. I do not understand why some people are so sad about the pricing. I suggest, see the car in flesh and touch it, you will never feel that it is overpriced.

2. Quality : I saw the Magna variant which is fairly loaded. Quality is a leap forward in comparison to its so called rival "Alto". The plastics are good, if not very good. The doors shut with a good solid feel. Can be compared to that of i10. Not much panel gaps here and there.

3. Styling : Need I say more ? Fluidic mania is in and this car looks fresh off the design board. You are bound to love this more than alto. Headlamps, tail lamps look good.

4. Space : The Alto was not a spacious car. Different story for the Eon. Front space is good, but rear is much better. Headroom should not be tight for 6 footers . Even though the car is taller than Alto, low seating makes headroom huge. The biggest plus point is the luggage compartment. You can shop a lot and even use this car for highway trips. The boot is big.

5. Things we would like to see improved : Tyres, 145/80 looks thin and upsize should be a must. 155 on Sportz variant.

Rear visibility. Something where the Alto scores more.

presence : The car looks small. Smaller than the K10.

New Gen engine : Why the epsilon engine ?

That Santro gear knob : Err....

Three spoke steering wheel on all variant. : Anyways, the two spoke wheel also looks better than Alto/Indica steerings.

Personal opinion on the big question : Is the Alto still better ?

Well, the Indian market for small car is good, and both Maruti and Hyundai are good competitors. The Alto has a a better price variation, considering the presence of a peppy 1 litre K series engine, as well as non AC variants. But what the Alto lacks at this point of time, facing Eon, is quality, features and styling.

Being an Alto user for the past 7 years, I can say that the Alto is a very very good all rounder small car, not as basic as Nano/M800. But with the present day quality standards, and safety features, I would love to recommend a Eon to an Alto. The price difference as many are saying is not huge, and we do not expect a Le-Mans car like performance from a sub 3.5L car do we ? If it drives well, is efficient enough, it is worth stretching your budget to buy an Eon.

sb-alto2011-10-14 15:10:36