dr_nishu

Hyundai's Alto rival is Eon.

@rameshbabu

I would recommend you to look at Brio than this Eon as it is a perfect car with perfect engine. How ever good this car be' date=' this car can't match Brio since you need to take hill ride now and then....

[/quote']

Noted your recommendation, dear Bala. I will certainly take a solid look at

Brio. Take both cars for a longer TD and then decide.  One thing is certain.

We need only a petrol, small car for doing intra-city (often less than 5 km)

daily use becuase we use our Xylo for all long drives, meaning beyond 20

kms, or when the passenger count exceeds 3. 

But, both TDs have to wait for at least a month or so.  Because, Honda is

not present in Tirupati and Hyundai showroom is full of Diwali rush.  A lot

of EON vehicles (over 25 till now) have been readied for delivery now at

Tirupati, with most of them taking delivery from tomorrow onwards.  I

will wait till the initial rush is over and the Diwali rush is through.

1. Budget consious will remain with Alto/Spark' date=' as they are still very cheaper than Eon

2. Maintainance consious won't look at Eon as it will be of no match to Alto's spares price.

3. FE consious would still prefer Alto/Wagon-R, as Hyundai mostly returns half of ARAI's figures.

4. For non-budget consious, add few more and buy a Brio

5. For performance consious, Eon will never be an answer

[/quote']

IMHO :

Ans1 :

People search for quality at all levels. Since price is slightly more, decisions might change. People look for fresher products too.

Ans2

Dont know, AFAIK Hyundai spares are also cheap. Have experience with an i10 which travels with our Alto, remember ?

Ans3

This is fact. Very true in case of all other Hyundai's, but should not comment before I get hands on review on FE.

Ans4

Personally, an ABS/Air bag equipped Eon is better than that Base Brio, Figo, or Liva. Plus does that budget extension add any value ? I guess, you will loose more because of low variant.

Ans5

For a budget of 3-4L one does not target quarter mile timings. If you mean performance in terms of petrolheads, an used Zen, Esteem, Swift is still the answer.

@DD

Very honest verdict on my part. I do not say that others are all wrong, nor say that Alto is not a good car. Just that, at present Eon is worth it.

sb-alto2011-10-14 15:56:27

I am not against Eon, infact I like its design a lot and would buy one if it has a oil burner, what I mean to say here is, the Target Audiance is less and

is going to eat into just Santro & i10's market.

IMHO This car appeals best to be as a second car for someone who owns a BIG car, something what Nano failed to do.

2. Maintainance consious won't look at Eon as it will be of no match to Alto's spares price. 

Dont know' date=' AFAIK Hyundai spares are also cheap. Have experience with an i10 which travels with our Alto, remember ?[/quote']

Surprised to see this from an Alto user.

Let me give you a live example here,

-A first time user mostly breaks his OVRM for which a Alto user would spend around Rs 200 where as Eon user would spend around Rs 1000

-What if he breaks his bumper, for which a Alto user would spend around 1k where as Eon user would spend around 3-4k

Likewise, everypart should be costlier in Eon when compared to Alto. Leave alone spare pricing, just go out and compare your routine service bill with a Santro's. You need to search hard for a bill over Rs 1000 where as you can hardly find a santro's sub 1K routine service bill.

Remember Hyundai's "No Repair! Only replace Mantra", I have read about this at many instance.

5. For performance consious' date=' Eon will never be an answer[/quote']

For a budget of 3-4L one does not target quarter mile timings. If you mean performance in terms of petrolheads, an used Zen, Esteem, Swift is still the answer.

If this is the case, we wouldn't have got Alto K10 running so successfully in our market.
creativebala2011-10-14 19:18:53

@CB: You are talking of maintenance of Eon, and this is what you had to

say of the service of your Swift VXI: (@DD, there was nothing big done,

the charger costed 1100, so its 7.4K for its normal service.)

I think 7.4K is not a small sum for a service of a petrol hatch.

You sound like one of those guy's who wrote of the M800 when it was born

saying that it won't stand a chance against the Amby in the event of 

an accident etc, etc, and we all know that M800 went on to rewrite

Indian automotive history.

Basically, Maruti has been "milking" an old platform dry, there is

always place for something fresh and sure it can't be priced on par with

an 'ancient' platform like Alto. Even a Figo will appear VFM coz it's an old and scrapped platform. Santro will also appear VFM coz thats an old platform, so will the Accent in comparison to the Eon.

I have said this before and I'll repeat it ad nauseum: Suzuki should

give some respect and commitment for it's largest (India) market, what

we are getting is literally old models and scrapyard junk in India, Wagon R is old, Esilo older, Alto ancient and M800 forget it. Whereas

Hyundai is striving to bring in it's latest models here and launches it

here first before it's world premiere. Why don't we get the same damn

models from Suzuki as it sells in Japan, even the US where Suzuki is

right at the bottom end of the totem pole gets better products. Case in

point is Wagon R: Just look at the images of the new Wagon R and decide

it whether Suzuki/Maruti is doing the  right thing in it's largest market in the world.

20111015_014036_new_suzuki_wago.jpg

20111015_013843_new_suzuki_wago.jpg

Durango Dude2011-10-15 01:49:15

Eon has got Looks, Style and may be its top of line Sportz has got features like Airbags also. But there has been pretty hype that EON will take on Alto. First things first:-

EON has competition with Alto K10 n not Alto

Second on similar parameters of price - the features ,power and performance is better in Alto K10 in comparison to Hyundai EON. Against 816 CC engine n 56 BHP power of EON, K10 has 998 CC engine with 67 BHP power. Moreover there are discounts n schemes going on in K10 of Rs. 10K worth cash discount n MP3 player free.

Check detailed review,features n comparison at www.mycarhelpline.com at below link:-

http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.php?option=com_latestnews&view=detail&n_id=32&Itemid=10

@Bala :

You can be right about accident repairs. I really do not know about damage repair costs of hyundai. But from my experiences of service repairs, I can say that Hyundai is not at all dearer to service and run. Even Honda has fair service costs. Yes the OVRM prices you said is correct, but can you compare quality ? If the maruti part is priced at Rs100 then it is worth Rs 100. Hyundai does not charge Rs1000 for the same 100 rupees part. Better quality, more price.

Secondly, Yes, the Eon will eat into the Santro's sales but I still do not understand why it will fail to obtain target audience ? After all it is a small car and that too from a manufacturer like Hyundai who is stable and reputed.

Yes, Alto K10 is a bit more powerful, but its ride, handling and tyres are not that confidence inspiring. You can call that peppy. But I never said that Eon will be better. Just that new chassis might bring in better driveable character.

sb-alto2011-10-15 02:06:58

I second DD for his comments about Maruti Products. I was highly disappointed by the look of new wagon-r, when it was launched. When you have excellent looking model in International market, why don't you put it here and grab the market share. It is the basic thought process in the company, which is week and outdated. The interior quality of any Maruti car is generation old and nowhere near to competition or atleast near Hyundai, the nearest competitor.

But it is for sure that the look of EON will kill Alto. Today people are ready to spend more for better finished, looking products. When you have the option of EMIs, it is a question of few hundred per month or extended time for payment.  People who are already using the Alto will move to a car in higher segment like I-10, I-20, Swift, Ritz Brio or C segment Sedan, but the first time buyers will lien towards EON /SPARK. But the pricing of EON has saved the Spark for sure. My guess is, people will compare EON against Spark and it will be benefit the Spark for better space and higher capacity engine. And then the Santro will piped into the comparison which will again benefit Hyundai. So for me it is a clever pricing by Hyundai. Let;s see how it goes.

@DD

Yes we are getting older models, but the fact is that they have been retained along with the new ones. This is the same that Hyundai has done with Santro-10 and Accent-Verna. We have A-star( New Alto), Wagon R is the same platform that you have pictured above, only that Suzuki toned down its design for our market, as per its research. The fact that it does not look aggressive does not mean that it is old. Next we will hear Beetle is scrapyard junk!

I have said, Eon will sell good, 10-12k, beat i10, come at Wagon R levels, but will nowhere come close to beating Alto. The only challenger to Alto in the vicinity I see is Maruti's own YP8.

alto5.gifalto4.jpeg

The 5th generation Suzuki Alto was released in October,

as a 3-door and a 5-door sedan. Suspension remained the same and

wheelbase is now 236 cm. The engines are the 3-cylinder 657 cc OHC

2-valve (still with carburettor, leaving this to be the last bonnet type

kei car without injection) and 4-valve as well as OHC 2-valve turbo.

New is the all aluminium 3-cylinder 658 cc DOHC 4-valve without turbo

next to the one with turbo. Four-wheel-drive is available as usual. In

October, 1999 arrived a retro version, the Alto C. By October, 1999 the

carburettor engine was deleted, and by May, 2000 the OHC 2-valve turbo

engine. A Mazda clone came in October, 1998. In September, 2000 the Maruti Alto

(5-door only) was introduced in India, with a choice of a 3-cylinder

796 cc or a 4-cylinder 1061 cc engine with 4 valves per cylinder. The

car is 10 cm longer and 2 cm wider than the Japanese version. The latter

one arrived in Europe by spring, 2002 as next generation Suzuki Alto.

By 2000 came in Latin America the Chevrolet Alto with a 4-valve 4-cylinder 996 cc engine.

wagfxt5.gifwagrc.gif

The second generation Suzuki Wagon R arrived in October,

also again on the same floorpan as the Alto, body types remained

the same and the engines are the 3-cylinder 657 cc OHC 4-valve or turbo

2-valve as well as the light alloy 3-cylinder 658 cc DOHC 4-valve. A

different grille and front bumper are used in the Wagon R RR with the

3-cylinder light alloy DOHC 4-valve turbo 658 cc engine with 64 PS (such

a vehicle was already introduced in the previous Wagon R line in

January, 1998 as a limited edition). In April, 2000 the 4-door (2+1)

body was deleted after only one and a half year, together with the

3-cylinder 657 cc OHC 4-valve engine. The 657 cc turbo disappeared in

January, 2002. This engine had also been used in the Wagon R RR, and the

Wagon R now had the 658 cc DOHC 4-valve turbo available. A Mazda clone

came in October, 1998. In May, 1999 came the Suzuki Wagon R+ with the same engines as before. The car was widened to 162 cm and has a length of 351 cm. In November, 2000 the Wagon R+ was renamed Suzuki Wagon R Solio,

a 1.3 engine became available, while the 1.0 turbo was deleted. By

December, 1999 arrived a retro version of the Wagon R. By January, 2001

the vehicle with 1.0 and 1.3 engine became available in Japan as Chevrolet MW. At the end of 1999 began production in India of the Maruti Wagon R

with a 1061 cc engine and a width of 149.5 cm. In the export the

vehicle is available with a 1298 cc OHC 4-valve engine (spring 2000) and

is also built as Opel Agila and Vauxhall Agila with Opel engines (summer 2000).

MRwagon.jpg

In December, 2001 arrived the Suzuki MR Wagon with the same technical data as the Wagon R (55 mm lower). A Nissan clone, called Nissan Moco arrived in April, 2002.

What about the Eeco, thats also ancient Suzuki Every Landy.

If this isn't ancient then what is? I rest my case. VW Beetle/Fiat 500/Citroen 2CV are life style retro vehicles that will sell in small numbers. Maruti's new cars are Ritz/Swift/SX 4/Kizashi/GV. Hyundai's contribution to the olden goldies is Santro , Accent and Sonata, atleast they are refurbishing the range , where as Suzuki is resting on its laurels.

Durango Dude2011-10-15 12:13:01

1. What is more important Refinement + Space or good quality plastics ?

2. Will you buy a car without a/c and power steering ?

3. Why is hyundai's new generation car not as refined as     decades old competitors ?

4. Does anyone trust hyundai's claimed mileage figures ?

5. How much is the difference in spare parts and service cost between Alto and Eon ?

6. Have you compared the prices of Alto,Wag.R,Zen,Beat etc with that of Eon ? [Prices of non a/c no power steering models should be excluded because these are not relevant in the market ].

@DD

Today's Wagon R is an all new model which was introduced in 2008 in Japan and it's engine is a modern K series engine.

Eon's engine and gearbox is as unrefined as that of a diesel auto.Crazy Doc2011-10-15 14:38:42

1. What is more important Refinement + Space or good quality plastics ?

2. Will you buy a car without a/c and power steering ?

3. Why is hyundai's new generation car not as refined as     decades old competitors ?

4. Does anyone trust hyundai's claimed mileage figures ?

5. How much is the difference in spare parts and service cost between Alto and Eon ?

6. Have you compared the prices of Alto' date='Wag.R,Zen,Beat etc with that of Eon ? [Prices of non a/c no power steering models should be excluded because these are not relevant in the market '].

Ans1.

Both, I still do not see a Maruti with both. Hyundai has them all minus the FE figures. Maruti sells because of price advantage(by all means) and FE.

Ans2.

Alto has a non AC/non PS model too, and it sells hot. Even Indica has non AC models.

Ans3.

Actually, with my small experiences I can say that Hyundai is more refined. Performance wise Maruti is better. Figures like P/W ratio, torque, bhp are all with Maruti, but refinement is not.

Ans4

I do not. That is one area of concern. But they are not as poor as that of say Fiat/tata/Skoda petrols.

Ans5.

Better quality parts, more the cost. This applies in everything. So if Eon is better in quality, you cannot expect same spare costs. But no Hyundai is a Skoda.

Ans6.

Considering equipment levels, quality, new platform and new design, prices are ok. A tad high when you compare, but justified with improvements.

@ sb alto

1.You should take a TD of both Eon and Wagon R to see the difference in space and refinement.

2.I don't think people would spent 3lk for a non a/c no ps model

3.TD Eon ASP and then comment on refinement .

5.People buy maruti because it is cheap to buy and cheap to own.

6.considering it's equipment level it should be atleast 20k less.

@Durago Dude

I usually don't TD cars unless I'm in need of one,but I have had a brief TD of Eon .My friend is looking for a car in the range of 4-5 lk and I went with him.In my opinion this car doesn't have the refinement of the K series nor the cheap maintenance costs of an Alto.

The timing of launch of Eon is perfect making lots of people to shift their decision from Alto to Eon becuase of on going strike at MSIL Plant.

A first time buyer will surely look for hassel free sales and support which MSIL was ensureing but the recent issues at MSIL will put a big dent on it's sales, deliveries, spares and support.

Alto is most preferred for the first time buyer but EON with it's flamboyant styling is the best option to the Alto because EON will ensure fuel economy due to it's light weight and implementation of latest technology.

TATA Motors tried to sneak in Alto's territory with it's XETA range but due to image, reliability issue and low mileage made people to opt for Alto than Tata.

I wonder why Hyundai is not promoting Santro against Alto or possibly Hyundai can price Santro less than Alto to just take away the market share of Alto. Santro is great vehicle and it has very nice engine also.

Alto's sales figures will come in between 10K to 15K

@ sb alto

1.You should take a TD of both Eon and Wagon R to see the difference in space and refinement.

2.I don't think people would spent 3lk for a non a/c no ps model

3.TD Eon ASP and then comment on refinement .

5.People buy maruti because it is cheap to buy and cheap to own.

6.considering it's equipment level it should be atleast 20k less.

.In my opinion this car doesn't have the refinement of the K series nor the cheap maintenance costs of an Alto.

1.I have driven the new WagonR extensively and checked Eon too. WagonR is spacious inside but with small boot. Eon is not having the width but a big boot makes it a practical buy as well. Eon has better proportions than WagonR's tall boy boxy styling.

2. Alto nonAC/non PS is 2.46L ex showroom. Add other costs and you get it for 3L only. Which is better ? A old chassis non AC alto or a new spacious non AC Eon ?

3. Why will I give vague comments unless I have experienced it ?

4. True.

5. Considering quality, new platform, more power, styling it is reasonable if not damn cheap.

6. Neither you nor I know the maintenance cost of the Eon. I should not comment unless I get hands on review about such costs. Let ownership reviews come up and we will know.

sb-alto2011-10-16 07:56:19

What MSIL should be doing as an immediate action to stand against EON is  to introduce facelifted version of A-STAR with more features with competitive price.

A-Star is quite competent to stand against EON.

Also has become very old and looks outdated against EON.

I went to cancel the booking that I had made for Eon, at the time of booking I was told by the sales person that a full refund will be made, but now they are telling a charge of 2500 will be levied.

What should I do in this case?

I spoke to the regional officer of Hyundai and she was like we dnt take responsibility fr verbal communications by the dealers.

I told her that even if there is a clause that says a penalty for cancellation I should be told about it, even after asking multiple times I was told that a full refund will be made.

Where are the Hyundai fans now,Eon is a flop as I predicted.Even the massive 52% drop in Maruti sales have not helped the fuel guzzling Hyundai's their sales have dropped 5%.VW +7% is the only company which came up with good MOM figures.The economy is slowing down and it seems like dooms day for fuel guzzlers from Hyundai.Crazy Doc2011-11-02 04:05:20

floop how ? if this months sale figure makes a car company hit or flop then by this logic Tata , mahindra n toyota are the only successful companies in India because all others have reported decline in sales.

Hello everyone

Hyundai EON is now in the market and giving tough competition to other small

cars like alto, ritz, micra. Its looks and impressive mileage is attracting to the Indian people.

Not only this much EON is also committing to the cars having price ranges of Rs 4 to 4.50 lakhs. 

If a relatively cheap car can't get customers at launch even with the main competitor shut down then it's definitely a flop. 

+1,

Even the ugly duckling Etios was a great success at the launch. This Eon is priced wrong. This is just a city car, but why so big boot for a city car?

Its a car of form and not functionality and priced near to a car with good functionality barring form(Wagon R)

In Eon, Engine is bad, FE not upto MSIL standard, priced higher... So Eon's market will still go down once New 800 is out.

IMHO, New 800 will be 25% cheaper and 25% more FE and 25% more easy to maintain( since its a maruti), so only 25% of the market will pay 25% extra for better FORM, all others will save 25% and get good functionality.

Sales of Eon stands at 6315 for the month of October it's eaten into the Santro which has fallen to 3141. It remains to be seen how it moves from here. Honda has sold 1220 Brio's in October 2011. With the price of petrol skyrocketing it's no wonder that even FE petrol hatchbacks are falling off the buyer's radar.