pranay

New diesel car under 5 lakhs

I am new user to this forum. need your help for buying new car. I got santro LS model with LPG. Annual running is between 14 to 17k. so planning to purchase new car coz of santro maintenance. could you pls advise which is better option between CNG or diesel. my budget is 5L.

thanks in advance.

---------- No salutations at top and bottom. No name in main text either. MODS

sgiitk2011-02-09 08:11:09

Go for Maruti Suzuki Swift LDi.

Its very Fuel efficient, low on Maintenance, Proven on Indian conditions & falls in your budget too. 

Though its Cons are being too Common on our Roads & No equipments on base LDi variant except AC-Heater & Power Steering.

Another option is Ford Figo Diesel EXi(2nd) variant, Its the best All-rounder in its segement till to date.
dr_nishu2011-02-07 19:25:52

Only few cars are available in India with Factory fitted CNG kits. CNG is better choice in case you want to drive only in city with less luggage.In Diesel cars only Indica vista terra (4.96 L)& Figo (5.01L) is coming aroung 5L.These prices are delhi on the road price.Price of the car will be higher in Vadodara. Swift & Ritz will cost you 5.25 & 5.35 Respectively.My advise is to wait upto may for new Swift launch.If you want to purchase today go for Figo which is having more space,comfort and good fuel efficiency.And it will give you ultimate value for money.

thanks all for your comments. I am not as such in a great hurry. I can definitely wait for next 3-5 months.

But I am still confused between CNG or diesel option looking at annual running, I drive 7-8K in city & the same on highway. I don't carry lot of luggage all the time.

You are saying 7-8k in city & 7-8k in highways. You may not be able to fuel CNG on the highways outside major cities and also CNG cars won't be as powerful as Diesel. So my advice or say our advice, Diesel.

Since you can wait 3-5months, you can easily get a good spec'd Beat MJD with awesome mileage & 3yrs free maintainance within your budget, which is not the case with any other hatch in our market today. 

Think Wagon R CNG is the only factory fitted CNG car which fits your budget.

If your highway trip are less than 200-300km to-and-from most of the time, think a CNG vehicle makes more sense.

Maruti's new factory fitted CNG vehicles are as fun to drive as their petrols; though the max power produced is a bit lower.

CNG vehicle has following main advantages:

-lower initial cost than Diesel

-20-30% lower running cost then Diesel

- lower maintenance (read cheaper spares) than diesel

- Eco-friendly

Also, since you are not much worried about boot space, CNG vehicle should be fine.

I would recommend you to give another shot for CNG before moving on to the Diesel. Take a test drive of both CNG and Diesel vehicles and then decide.

carispassion2011-02-09 06:22:33