creativebala

"Punto is sluggish", a mere MYTH

"Punto is sluggish", a mere Myth that has been projected so big that it appers to many as a Fact.

I came across many instances where some people avoids Punto for it being sluggish or some people discourage Punto's prospect by saying it as sluggish. (Not to hurt anyone's feeling). When ever I hear this, I feel smiley7.gif.

If you are a drag racer, Punto is sluggish. The 0-100kmph mark can be used as a benchmark only for drag racers. For a common man, the in-gear accelaration is what matters the most. We are not going to drive our car from 0-100kmph day in and day out. We all will mostly be driving our car in 3 or 4th gear between 30-80kmph or say 40-100kmph.

Punto has a strong mid range with stronger in-gear accelaration. You need to drive one to know exactly what it is.

20-80(3rd)/40-100(4th) in secs

Swift  D -     11.96 / 14.72

Punto 90D - 13.97 / 14.72
Punto D -     12.57 / 15.22
Ritz D -        12.52 / 15.36

Figo D -       13.45 / 16.36
i20 D -         15.51 / 19.01

This clearly proves Punto( along with swift ) is the fastest car in 40-100kmph (4th gear) and is no sluggish by any means for a normal driver.

So, the next time you hear "Punto is sluggish", just ask them to TD the car before giving suggestion or advice.

0181269455085.jpg

creativebala2011-02-07 20:34:30

Another myth I hear is,

"Punto is no highway car"

With the best in class 40-100(which will be mostly used in highways while overtaking), top speed of over 180kmph, better braking and best handling, i don't see any other car comparable to Punto on highways.

30 - 80 Kmph timings in the 3rd Gear

Punto 1.4  - 14.11 secs
Swift 1.2   - 14.98 secs
i10 1.2      - 15.52 secs
Polo 1.2    - 16.83 secs

40 - 100 Kmph timings in the 4th Gear

Punto 1.4 - 19.53 secs
i20 1.2     - 22.23 secs
Swift 1.2  - 22.41 secs
Polo 1.2   - 23.04 secs

Outright performance 0-100 Kmph( which will be of no use for day2day commuting )

Swift 1.2 -13.09 secs
i20 1.2 - 15.21 secs
Polo 1.2-16.5 secs
Punto 1.4 -16.58 secs

30 - 80 Kmph timings in the 3rd Gear

Punto 1.4  - 14.11 secs
Swift 1.2   - 14.98 secs
Punto 1.2  - 15.27 secs
i10 1.2      -15.52 secs
Polo 1.2    - 16.83 secs
i20 1.2      - 16.98 secs

40 - 100 Kmph timings in the 4th Gear

Punto 1.4 - 19.53 secs
Punto 1.2 - 21.72 secs
i20 1.2     - 22.23 secs
Swift 1.2  - 22.41 secs
Polo 1.2   - 23.04 secs
i10 1.2    - 29.92 secs

Outright performance 0-100 Kmph( which will be of no use for day2day commuting )

i10 1.2    - 13.02 secs
Swift 1.2 -13.09 secs
i20 1.2 - 15.21 secs
Polo 1.2-16.5 secs
Punto 1.4 -16.58 secs
Punto 1.2 - 18.16 secs

OT-

@ i10 1.2 user, do you guys play with gears so much on highways? From these fig, i see one need to downshift till 2nd gear for a proper highway overtake.

I have never seen anywhere i10 1.2 is sluggish, but the figures says so.

Thanks a lot. One of my known has bought a Punto 1.2 active and he is quite satisfied with the in city performance. the only grudge he has is about FE' date=' which is 11-12 kmpl in city. [/quote']

11-12kmpl in city B2B traffic is quite good for this monster dude. Even the santros and older swift delivers similar mileage. There is nothing to curb about this mileage.

As a Punto 1.2L petrol owner I never feel the car is sluggish after I shift the gear to 2nd. In highways the car is excellent. Only problem I face is when in startup. I has to wait till the car starts moving atleast 2-3 meters then I could accelerate. If I accelerate in the beginning the car jumps and the clutch control is difficult. If I hastly take off the car by releasing clutch in a speedy way the car gets off. It may be only my experience and if anyone has got a different experience please write

Surprising figure for Punto 1.2. Good engineering.. Don't you think it is time for FIAT to give updated version for Punto/Linea with better interior to boost the sales, like what TATA has done with Manza. 

@Sarab

20-80(3rd)/40-100(4th) in secs

i10 1.1         -  14.67 / 20.64
Punto 1.2     - 15.27 / 21.72

Beat 1.2       - 15.99 / 22.43

i10 1.2          - 15.52 / 29.92

@asethi, I don't have any latest ACI issues with me for Polo/Fab 1.6 fig, so someone else needs to contribute this. Do add Micra's figures along with.

In gear acceleration figures of Micra 1.2P, Polo 1.6 & Fabia 1.6:

20-80kmph/ 40-100kmph

Micra 1.2P             16.08/22.94

Polo 1.6               12.60/21.61

Fabia 1.6              13.85/23.05

Punto 1.4              14.11/19.53

So it is clear that Punto 1.4 is the fastest in 40-100kmph range and return respectable figures in 20-80kmph range. As we all know these are the figures that matters more in day to day driving than 0-100kmph figures. So for normal use Punto 1.4 can never be called sluggish.

Myth busted, courtesy @ creativebala.itssanguine2011-02-08 16:27:36

Well people get confused when they say the car is sluggish . We all know that the clutch paddle travel in FIAT cars is long so unless you are not using a FIAT then you end up not releasing the clutch full while pressing the acclerator. I myself also was not releasing the clutch properly in the TD but later as the road cleared the clutch was released properly and the car was adequate .(I have TDed the 1.4P and Multijet.)

I started this thread to say Punto is not a sluggish car, but going by the facts, the thread name deserves something like, "Punto, the Hottest Hatch of its segment"

More than sluggish or not, the race car like sound will make you feel you are happy when you drive. I have TD'd various Puntos 'n' no. of times and its mid range is something I love, esp the MJDs. They are rocket once past its turbo lags. 

As I have mentioned earlier in my Swift thread, Once I was racing a Punto(mind you, its just the FGT) with my Swift from Pondicherry to Chennai and where I finally manage to over take is, near Chennai, thanks to 0-60kmph of Swift from a speed braker( Most Chennaites know about ECR and the first speed braker in it will be near Mayajaal while entering chennai). We all call the G-Series Swift as Hot hatch , so what should we call a Punto as?.

So, anyone considering a new car, PLZ TD a Punto before your purchase.

I have driven Punto 75bhp MJD for long distances, and me too did not feel it to be very sluggish.

However, following where the negatives I found:

- very low ratio for 1st and 2nd gears - car does not move smoothly in 1,2 gears and more jerks.

- very heavy and long travel clutch- felt my legs to pain after driving 50-100kms

- needed more gear shifts than Swift DDIs for instance; and the heavy clutch made the things even worse.

- seats were not very comfortable for long trips.

- 3rd and 4th gears were good,as Bala has already mentioned.

Steering feel was great and the ride is smooth and silent.

- very low ratio for 1st and 2nd gears - car does not move smoothly in 1' date='2 gears and more jerks.
- very heavy and long travel clutch- felt my legs to pain after driving 50-100kms[/quote']

We use 1st & 2nd gear only while taking off from stand still or for crossing speed brakers, here too Fiat has an advantage, the so called long travel clutch is a bliss once you get used to it. It helps to move the car to decent speed in 1st and 2nd gear in B2B traffic without the use of accelarator. This can't be done in any other car.

Fiat regular users can throw more light on this issue. Actually I am a fan of Fiats long clutch. In traffic, I can manage without Accelerator which can't be the case with any other car. Other cars does moves a little, but this move far and faster.

I have something to say about the long clutch and initial gears. In traffic the clutch is helpful but no acceleration should be given. If you accelerate and meanwhile try to release clutch in 1st and 2nd gears the car jerks as if you are learning riding. So after a traffic jam the car takes time to pickup.Other than this problem there is nothing. The matter may be with gear ratio. If you raise the car in 1st gear then u will be forced to put the gear directly to 3rd or 4th skipping intermediate gears. just experience this next time. And with AC this worsens. But as Bala said this is a matter while in the startup. In long driving the usage of clutch and gear will be less provided the road is smooth but for messy roads one should go slowly and for riding 80-100 km road where the road is so messy.

The matter may be with gear ratio. If you raise the car in 1st gear then u will be forced to put the gear directly to 3rd or 4th skipping intermediate gears. just experience this next time.

Very true..

This is just due to Relatively Shorter Gear Ratios used, thankfully to propel its Heavy-weight chassis.

Its another trouble which I've felt while driving it is that, Its Dead Pedal/Foot Rest is very Close to the Clutch Pedal & it comes into the way very much while applying the Clutch with foot placed even in l'll bit angled position, to which I'm pretty used to while Driving Maruti Suzukis.

As we all know, Punto is a very good car. And why is it selling less? In my opinion, Fiat was unable to sort out Punto's positives and concentrate on where it matters.

As per the discussion we had here, hope people might not disagree on the following conclusion:

1. Punto as a city run about: Long travel clutch is helpful for cruising in city travel; though heavy clutch and jerkiness while pressing the accelerator plays spoil sport. Also, visibility for city usage is nothing to write home about.

2. Punto as a highway car: Punto has got very good high speed stability and smooth ride, but the seats feel hard and does not feel comfortable for long trips. Also, due to low gear ratio, the mileage is a bit on the lower side(not much).

So, Punto has its positives, but it fairs well neither as a city car, nor as a  highway cruiser!

And regarding getting used to the car: The owners will definitely get used to their cars after some time. Even if the car had its share of negatives, there will definitely be people who would love it the way it is. It all depends on personal preferences.

However for an average Indian car owner, who has a single car to meet all his purposes; the same car should suitable for all his needs- let it be daily office commutes, dropping his kid to school, or even a weekend trip to meet his parents.

I agree with you. I feel that Punto is more focused as a driver's car than passenger car and reason for the failure is may be due to that because in general we want a more comfortable car than car which is more inclined to the performance.