praji.ooo

Starting without battery

If the battery of a car is dead, will it start by pushing? Is that jump-start is necessary for starting, Especially for a fuel injected car.

From where the current is supplying to spark plug, fuel injector, feedpump etc

Is that directly from battery or from the alternator?

Guys Iam expecting a detail reply to clear my doubt...

I asked many of my friends about this even in a service centre..but no one knows correctly.

Hope some of our members know this..

Its not advisable to Start the Fuel Injected car with Pushing as some of the Electric Current from Battery is always required to Run its ECU, Electronic coils, Fuel Pump, etc.

So, better is to Avoid this practice, instead Jump Start is a better option but that's only too with Trained Hands.

Option-1:

If you are in city or you can get battery from some other car then, you can remove the battery of other car keep it top of dead battery (Make sure that leads are contacting properly.

Option-2:

Like Doctor said Jump start requires expert hand. So if you in isolated place no other option. Push and start.

The only motor vehicle I know of that runs without a battery is the Mahindra CJ500D with the 2350cc International Harvester engine.I have used many of these. In a remote area I used one for many days without a battery. This UV needs the battery power only for its horn and lights.So push or jump starting it springs it to life and it can run without any hassles as all as long as there is diesel in its tank.

Even petrol cars of all kinds need the battery to activate the distributor and in turn the spark plugs to fire up the engine, unless it has a magneto.

What to speak of new cars with ECU and everything electronic? Its not worth discussing!

anjan_c20072011-02-14 17:28:11

The old diesel or petrol ambassador does not need a battery to run.it just needs a battery to crank the starter motor. If we push start, its perfectly capable of running on its own.

The later generation amby diesels with electronic pump needed a battery to be in place to run, even a discharged battery was ok as long as somthing was there. If u disconnect batt terminal while engine is running, the engine stops.

But push starting a newer car should be fine, as long as the battery has enough juice to run the electronics, which is much lesser than that required for cranking. The electronics will run fine even if the battery cannot provide enough current to the starter motor.

So as long as the battery is not COMPLETELY dead. i.e. if the lights

work, then push start is ok. because the fuel pump can work and also the

electronics

---------- Two posts merged: MOD

sgiitk2011-02-18 03:31:39

The old diesel or petrol ambassador does not need a battery to run.it just needs a battery to crank the starter motor. If we push start' date=' its perfectly capable of running on its own.

The later generation amby diesels with electronic pump needed a battery to be in place to run, even a discharged battery was ok as long as somthing was there.

[/quote']

Thanks. Thats news for me. Its the 1489 cc BMC diesel. Always believed that Diesel Ambys had electronic fuel pumps.

The Mahindra jeeps too  got electronic fuel pumps come the Peugeot 540DP diesel (2112cc) in 1982 and was fitted to many CJ4A bodyshells. This engine was later used in the newer CJ bodyshell introduced in 1986.So these need the battery - Hamesha!smiley1.gif

Thanks Joe.

Like to know one more thing, about the function of alternator.

Power steering only works when the engine starts, then where does that electric power coming from? Directly from the battery or from the alternator.

@praji: the alternator output is in parallel with the battery, so the power comes from this common source. If the alternator output is enough you may argue it is coming from it, when the engine is off it will be from the battery.

sgiitk2011-02-19 04:46:07

Power steering only works when the engine starts' date=' then where does that electric power coming from? Directly from the battery or from the alternator.[/quote']

Power  to the EPS is delivered by Alternator in conjunction with Battery, that's why it runs only when the Engine is On.

Whereas, HPS(Hydraulic Power Sreering) runs on its Seprate Dedicated Mechanism of Pump-Pulley arrangement.