sanjithchandran

Service intervals of Indian Cars

Yesterday i was going through my brother's Honda Jazz Booklet and noticed that Honda recommended oil change after every 5000 kms interval. In case of Maruti's K Series engines or Fiat's safire engines,manufacturers are recommended to change oil only after 10000 kms and 15000 kms respectively. Even i think Kappa engines also have service interval of 10000 kms.Honda has introduced 1.2 L Petrol engine only after 2005 and why it requires frequent oil change? Even Fiat's 1.3L Multijet engine's oil change interval stood at 7500 kms .But Cruze need oil change after every 5000 kms.

Honda jass need replacement of Their spark plugs(Iridium) only after 40000 kms where K-Series need replacement every 20000 kms.

It is very clear that Honda product quality is much better than Maruti and Hyundai. But the frequent service intervals will make impact on car sales because it is a real burden to customers.And again Honda service is not good as Maruti and Hyundai (In Gurgaon, do not know the rest of India Honda service quality).

I request to all petro sexuals to write down their views about car service intervals.I do not know how many people will think about the cost involved during services but of course an Indian middle class men have to think about it.

As long as your car is under warranty you are required to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer, else it goes for a toss. Once out of warranty you are free to do your own thing.

My own policy is 10,000km/once a year for oil change (API-SL or higher), and once in two years for coolant and brake fluid. I have been following it for the past 20+ years, Honda say brake oil change once in 3 years, coolant after 10 years / 100,000km (for the Civic), so I switch to this for them.

Check up whether Honda have increased the service interval to 10,000km/6 months for the Jazz! The dealer will (choose) not to know. So check with the manual of a new car or with Honda.

@sqiitk:We brought the car in Feb 2010.But Honda has not done any modification on it's 1.2L engine after Jazz's launch in June 2009. It is clearly written in the service booklet so we can not ask dealer to not to change the oil.

I do not know about City,Civic,Accord and CRV.

Yes i do notice the 10 yrs interval time for coolant change.

@Sanjith - As sgiitk said it is wise to follow to A.S.S till warranty expires after that Experience comes into play which if you don't have , follow a middle path such as changing brake oil every three years even if manual states that 6 years , because despite of repeated testing in our conditions some things don't follow that order

Honda has not done any modification on it's 1.2L engine after Jazz's launch in June 2009.

Two points:

1. it was only after extensive criticism that Honda increased the service intervals to 10k in the Civic as well. The manual reflects this. Nothing to do that the engine is the same. In fact I got a call re service, and told the lady that the interval is now 10k/6 months.

2. Oil change interval was also doubled later. Now they are happy with 5000/6 months with non synthetic and 10k/12 months with synthetic. Again no loud publicity.

The dealer will like to have you there (and pay him) every month if he has his way. This is why I said look at the manual of a new Jazz and also contact Honda directly to get the current status!

Look at what the oil firms say. 10,000 miles / 12 months became kosher with API-SF! Honda engines are high bred so may be they were being ultra cautious. Even now with a semi they want oil change every 6 months. As I sai earlier, check with Honda corporate and then follow the 'rules' until the warranty runs out. Then you are a free man!

This Extended warranty is a trap for customers.Day before yesterday i have approached Jagdish Khattar's Carnation Auto for Jazz servicing. But they informed that if it is in warranty period do not recommended to service other than Authorized service centers.

Mahindra'a service intervals are the most irking. Because though oil change is for every 15000 kms the vehicle is called to the service station every 5000 kms. Unnecessary Rs.4500 per service cost is levied which is just for inspection and we'll have to abide for warranty sake. And also 5000 kms is no matter for SUV owners who frequent long distances and ends very fast.

On the contrary TATA Safari and most of TATA vehicles are called to service station every 15000 kms. This is easier and does not hamper frequent outstation visits.

This frequent visits every 5000 kms is also causing chaos at the Mahindra service center where we do not get appointments easily.

Hope Mahindra listens and increases the service intervals.

@ Taurean Czar

I too own a Scorpio and its really irritating to monitor the service intervals. A we frequent outstation trips at no time a service crops up and wait for service appointment is irking.

You are right. Mahindra should increase service intervals.

Even Chevrolet Cruze is having 5000 kms service interval.As Scorpio owners say it should be minimum 10000 kms for Diesel SUVs. Most of the cars are having CRDI engines which is most advanced diesel engine technology available in the market.

What about the service intervals of Innova,Safari,Sumo,Aria ,Fortuner etc.

Any manufacturer who say oil change interval is 10K kms or 15K kms but service interval is 5Kkms, then what they do in service?

As TAUREAN said service change at Mahindra A.S.S is Rs 4500/-, please provide brake up (if any)

Any manufacturer who say oil change interval is 10K kms or 15K kms but service interval is 5Kkms' date=' then what they do in service?

[/quote']

Just inspect the vehicle for any wear or leaks. That's it.

As TAUREAN said service change at Mahindra A.S.S is Rs 4500/-, please provide brake up (if any)

Service charge @Rs.3800 + tax = roughly Rs.4500/-

Consumables extra.

Our vehicle has just come back from service. 35,000 done.

Bill Rs.8000/- including 10% discount on spares due to free service camp.

Service done

Engine Oil & Filter change

Diesel Filter change

Gear oil change

Body rust under coating

Do you think it's reasonable?

@Friends:

My rule is something different,I get the oil changed for my petrol cars(i10,Laura not done yet)between 4500-5500kms anytime only synthetic oils.For Innova again I break the rule and get the oil changed anytime between 7000-8000 kms again synthetic only.

Brakes are always paid special attention by me(actually my highway speeds never exceed 130 but my city speeds frequently reach 100) so I get my brake fluid changed every 15-20k kms no matter how much time has passed.Last comes the coolant,I get it changed every alternate service.

Is there any disadvantage of such practices,except some extra cash dumping,because the service guys sometimes ask me not to do so???

Some more questions:-

Does the airbags too need to be serviced?

What should be the ideal replacement period for brake pads?

Which are the best synthetic oils for i10 as well as Innova,my current choice is Shell-Helix?What should be the oil change interval if we are using synthetic oil??

TSiVipul2011-02-18 04:45:21

@TSivipul: You are doing good the the A$$ and may be doing a bit against our planet. Once you are outside of the warranty once a year or 10,000km is Ok for oil in petrol engines, and from what I make out for diesels as well. As for synthetics I guess 12 months is the key, and you should be able to stretch the service interval by up to a factor of 2. I will be a bit more careful with diesels, since there is a lot of soot going into the oil.

Brake fluid, coolant, once in two years or more as recommended by the manufacturer should be Ok. 

@sgiitk sir:

Will it work as usual if I strech the service intervals to a factor of two?

Because my Innova has already done 53k kms and my i10 has 38k mileage and still they are nearly as new as they were years before.