tejasmehta990

Petrol SUVs

Which Petrol SUV is better and why ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Petrol SUV is better and why ?

• Honda CR-V
    • Mitsubishi Outlander
    • Suzuki Grand Vitara
    • Tata Safari
    • BMW X1

We have some of the best SUVs in Petrol Displacement and they are offered with best in class power and performance alongwith luxury of big space.

Honda CR-V

210452800.jpg

Approximate Price : Rs.23 L

Engine Type                   i-VTEC, 2.0L                 i-VTEC, 2.4L

Engine Configuration    4 Stroke, Spark Ignition, Gasoline, 4 Cylinder

Fuel System                     PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel Injection)

Displacement(cc)               1997                                  2354

Max. Power (ps/rpm)     143@6000                    161@ 5800

Max. Torque (Nm/rpm) 190@4200                     218@ 4200

Honda CR-V has great road presence and smooth engine with nice interior with luxury feel.

Mitsubishi Outlander

mitsubishi-rvr-car-1024x724-250x250.jpg

Approximate Price : Rs.21L

Engine  : 4B12

Type : 2.4 DOHC 16 Valve MPI MIVEC

Displacement (cc) : 2360

Max Output KW(PS)@rpm : 125(170)@6000

Max Torque NM(kgf-m)@rpm : 226(23.05)@4100

Power : 170 pc/6000 rpm

Mitsubishi is best inside out but lacks peace of mind which is there in Honda & Suzuki in terms of A.S.S. , lack of dealers and availability of parts  etc... .

Suzuki Grand Vitara

NO_3387.jpg

Approximate Price : 17L

Basic Tech Secs :

Engine Type / Model : 2.4L, DOHC, VVT, MPFI In-Line Engine

Displacement : 2397 cc

Power : 163.5 BHP @ 6000 RPM

Torque : 225 Nm @ 4000 RPM

The Grand Vitara also has road presence but interior lacks luxury feel at the price at which it is offered.

But the overall stance of Grand Vitara is amazing with big lights and tires. It looks macho and muscular.

Tata Safari

047car-tata-safaridicor-vtt-1.jpg

Approximate Price : Rs.10L

Engine displacement     2092/4

Power (BHP)     135/19.8

Torque (KGM)    

Fuel Type     Petrol

The cheapest of all but offers sufficient features & space and can be considered as best VFM Feature rich reliable SUV with satisfactory off road driving abilities but lacks fit and finish.

BMW X1 

536933_detailImage1.gif

Approximate Price : Rs.23L

Engine : SDrive18i

Capacity in ccm    1,995

Stroke/bore in mm    90/84

Max. output in kW at 1/min    110 (150)/6,400

Max. torque in Nm at 1/min    200/3,600

May be the cheapest car from BMW but not in this list. Lack space but have the million dollar BMW tag and technology which is enough to splurge money on it.

@

creativebala

Just wanted to cover all petrol SUVs available in market and also I find Safari Petrol a complete package with better NVH than diesel Safari but only concern about Safari that after some time lots of things get loose. The interior space of Tata Safari is best among all other Petrol SUVs. 

I have not covered very High End SUVs as the those are entirely matter of personal choice but Petrol SUVs that I mentioned here are well accepted and most preferred ones .

I find BMW X1 very attractive puchase as against Honda CR-V because due to lack of face lift and upgrade I find CR-V bit old and as against that I am attracted to the name 'BMW' which is available at the price of CR-V. 

Outlander would be a great choice if one has blind faith on Mitsubishi's name and its capabilities.

Safari can be a choice of a person who want to buy a Safari but don't want Tata's sluggish Diesel Engine, heavy clutch and routine troubles of diesel vehicle.

@ Bala

the safari SUV petrol has one of the best petrol engines made in the country. Its a stonker and is capable of beating the hell out of all the other petrol SUV's in its category.

My choice is Outlander

Today read a article in hindustan times ' A BMW which is cheaper than a Honda' Liked it. Getting a BMW badge at this price feels good. So voted for it. But if it is all about after sales than definately Honda CRV.

Haaaa Safari and X1 are at two extream ends.I will choose safari for sitting on middle row seat and it will give real king of the road feelings.But fact is that Safari is coming with only 2.2L DICOR engine not with Petrol engine.It has discontinued long time back.

I will prefer CRV for driving pleasure and Outlander for its looks. X1 can keep it in front of house but not for driving.It lacks King of the road feeling.

Definitely CRV is the winner among Petrol SUVs.

.But fact is that Safari is coming with only 2.2L DICOR engine not with Petrol engine.It has discontinued long time back.

AFAIK bharati IV version of petrol safari is available for made to order

the safari SUV petrol has one of the best petrol engines made in the country. Its a stonker and is capable of beating the hell out of all the other petrol SUV's in its category.

Please elaborate.

If it is so then why not safari petrol is in significant numbers on road?

I have voted for Suzuki Gran Vitara.

It is the cheapest excluding the Safari; Is a very good off-roader (probably the best among the ones mentioned!); its reliable and also due to spare parts availability outside ASS.

It also makes for a very good second hand car!

Please elaborate.

If it is so then why not safari petrol is in significant numbers on road?

486 PL MPFI the engine used by Tata safari is the most powerful Indian engine made indigenously. It is made by Tata R&D team. Safari Petrol is around 400-500 kg's lighter. Imagine driving a safari with 130 BHP under your tap, free revving engine and NO niggles! yes you heard it right NO Niggles. If it had it would be the last chosen vehicle for PM's security.

The only reason it did not make it big is because of low fuel economy and

and zero advertisement. Keeping all this in mind, its FE is not as bad as CRV or Outlander.

I voted for Safari Petrol, because it offered best driving pleasure IMHO. It also looked hot(still looks good).

I don't think you can call X1 as an SUV. Please guys, we need to define the term "SUV". X1 is really small compared to others here

creativebala, then let's attempt to define the word "SUV", so as to include important characteristics like be able to seat atleast 7, 190mm or more ground clearance etc?

I haven't seen a VITARA yet smiley17.gif . I have seen X1 and it doesn't qualify as SUV IMHO.

Outlander for me any day,any time..

Reason:Just take a test drive,nothing seems to be as involving to drive as the Outlander+its feature loaded+As said by Sb-Alto ROCKFORD FOSGATE...Mitsubishi service centre is just 45 kms from me,so i can easily gamble if I ever think of a petrol SUV..

I don't find Petrol SUVs a risky purchase considering the performance it is offering along with the smooth jitter free ride in city as well as on highways.

Though diesels also gets smooth once moving but the feeling of petrol and diesel is comparable and noticeable.

The diesels are great when strong pull is required which is mainly when vehicle is off-road or on hill but petrols are unmatched while on straight highways and during quick overtaking.

Additionally I find Petrol vehicles more easy to maintain and the regular maintenance cost of petrol vehicles is light on pocket as compared to the diesel vehicles.

If we want to compare we have two vehicles that is Tata Safari and BMW X1 which is available both in diesel and petrol.