BonFre

Gadgets; Built to NOT Last

Gadgets; Built to Not Last

That shiny new Android phone you just bought? Yeah, it's a piece of trash. No, I'm not some Google-hating Apple fanboy. The iPhone 4 is junk, too.

By Mike Elgan
Mon, January 24, 2011

Computerworld

True. Thats how they make their money. And dont we all get *******ed into it? Although, my faithful iPod has been running without a glitch for the last 3 years (after getting it replaced under warranty twice). Same cant be said about the earphone though! :) I have gone through 3 apple earphones, 1 pair of very high end Sony, one pair of decent mid range Philips, one pair of mid range sennheiser's and now a high end pair of sennheiser which broke on the plane ride to London and were then fixed by some superglue. Although, I must say, the pairing between the sennheiser and the iPod is made in heaven.

@BF and Cyrus

You guys remember the old O' General AC's ? they were built to last for decades. I still have of them and it puts all new age AC's to shame.

Lets not blame the manufacturers, we are at fault to for demanding fast changes 

The article reminds me of the horrible experience I had with Dell. When Dell flat out refused to replace the broken hinge on my laptop saying they are out of the part and I should call back 2 months later. Ridiculous. Swore off Dell that very day.

Anyways, this is not new and there is nothing illegal in this. We can expect this to go on and I am sure this happens in the Automotive industry at the same level, if not more.

@sarabjeet: Have you looked at the power consumption of the old ACs. You may then wonder whether the long life is indeed such a good thing.

For the past few years even the three pronged star has switched to building to a price! As a wag put it Why did Rolls go bust? Because their cars never wore out!

The decades old(3-5) gadgets that we have, are of brilliant quality. Just don't seem to die but sure have become ir-relevant due to the change in technology.

Whereas the products bought these days have a low shelf life & manufacturers make it a point to make them such that they are not-compatible with newer/developing technologies. So, even if the product doesn't die, it becomes ir-relevant. Or if matches the tech, will demand significant repairs that the consumer decides to rather change it for new.

The eg. of the Light Bulb is an ideal one. Ofcourse the Auto industry is no stranger to this!

Agreed. Also, with more and more 'chips' (not the potato variety!) everywhere I wonder whether spares will even be available after five years!

One other point if things were built to last forever then the price. For example, take white goods, Miele is built to last but at a price which is at least 2x to 3x of the rest.

I am in no way supporting Apple. In fact I hate the way they are manipulating the market. However I feel that there are some other factors behind this phenomenon other than market manipulation by Apple or MS or any other Cos.

Is the life cycle of products somewhat related to afford-ability ? Purchasing power of people in general has increased over the years and they can now afford to replace their 3 year old phone just because its OS has become outdated.

Also technological leap has become so frequent in some cases that we have no other option but to replace existing product. For example I have Sony casset player in perfectly working condition but hardly use it because of the obvious reason. Soon same will happen to CD players.

So may be as @ Durango Dude mentions Change is the only constant thing.

Apple products are well build but they don't offer most of the features their competitors provide.they just market it so well that some people think it is the best in the world.Apple products are affordable yet pricey compared to others,everyone cannot afford a bmw but they can buy an iCrap and show it around.But they don't realize that the next gen iCrap2 will be on the production line by the time they start using  iCrap1

Even desktop computer manufacturers have a way of forcing you to upgrade. Every 5 years or so Intel changes the pin configuration of its motherboard, so no matter whether its only your motherboard, processor or ram which is shot, you are forced to replace all the three. Which means the customer is forced to spend 15000 instead of 5000.

Even desktop computer manufacturers have a way of forcing you to upgrade.Every 5 years or so Intel changes the pin configuration of its motherboard' date=' so no matter whether its only your motherboard, processor or ram which is shot, you are forced to replace all the three. Which means the customer is forced to spend 15000 instead of 5000.[/quote']

I am in no way supporting Apple. In fact I hate the way they are manipulating the market. However I feel that there are some other factors behind this phenomenon other than market manipulation by Apple or MS or any other Cos.

Excessive mods in quotes not allowed. MODS

sgiitk2011-03-16 05:45:53

I believe apple has done an incredible job as far as there technology is concerned. I have been using my iPhone 3G from last one & a half years now & believe you me, its a tough nut. I have dropped it at-least 10 times now, no software glitches yet, no battery tantrums too. I will call it one worthy purchase smiley1.gif