AMG1

2011 Swift- Test Drive & Review

Post Swift, the only big launch in this segment for Honda brothers of Jazz and Brio. While Brio may take away some bookings, I really don't think Jazz will affect Swift by a huge amount.

Not only that I expect volumes of i20 and Polo to go down a little, and they be forced to make their cars more VFM. i20 is due a VVT facelift, and customers wouldn't respond to a price rise kindly.

Brio may take away some bookings

Pricing of Brio will be crucial. Still it has potential to affect only Swift petrol sales, diesel consumers will happily give Brio a miss & its an open fact that majority of Swift sales come in the form of Diesel variant.

Swift has achieved 'cult' status in India, cutting across income lines and is loved by almost all. The bookings being proof of that status.MSIL should build a dedicated plant for the Swift to satiate the demand for this cult icon.

Durango Dude2011-08-02 17:51:21

The new Swift has been shown to media persons.

Our very own @hormazdsorabjee has tweeted about it.

1.Ok can confirm that India-spec new Swift coming in ZDi trim. ABS and 185/R65 R15 tyres but no push button start

2.New Swift 1.2 K series petrol gets variable valve timing to bump power to 87ps. 1.3 diesel unchanged - 75ps

3.Variable valve timing on 1.2 K-series in New Swift improves fuel efficiency by 4%. Indian driving cycle consumption is 18.6kpl

4.Will know on Aug 17th but price should be not far from previous Swift

5.New Swift feels great on Rajashthan roads. Less fidgety, more planted than before, smoother too but diesel not as punchy as previous Swift

6. 1.2 K-series petrol in new Swift a jewel. Loves to be revved. Refinement levels in petrol and diesel much improved

In replies, he also said that Swift was quite stable in high speed cornering.

NDTV anchor @sidpatankar has also been tweeting about it the whole day.

1.Swift facts: overall legroom increased by 20mm. Maruti says 'footspace' upped by 28mm. New stereo, climate control too.

2.New steering & steering mounted controls look sharp, upmarket. Plastics appear more refined. Cool new multi-info display.

3. K series petrol 1.2's been updated. New rally based suspension.

4. 3 new colours. Torque blue, Blazing red, Glistening grey. All nice and European!! Other colours: White, silver & Black.

5.wheelbase is now 2430mm. Ground clearance is 170mm. ZXi joined by a ZDi finally. They get 15" alloys!

6.VXi/VDi get electric adjust mirrors, front & rear pwr windows(not in LXi), tachometre, but no defoggr or rear wipe-wash. SVP

7.DDiS: 1248cc. 73.5bhp, 190Nm. K series VVT: 1197cc. 85bhp, 114Nm. Maruti claims friction reduction on updated petrol.

8.Claimed ARAI mileage: 18.6 kmpl(petrol), 22.9 kmpl(diesel).

9.Maruti says mileage on petrol improved by 4% while on diesel it's been increased by 6%. Ok phew! now more when I drive!!

10. Swift(p) drive: First impression - VERY grown up!

11.op speed maxes off at about 140 kmpl. Slightly laboured to get there but very smooth.

12.Suspension way better. Significant improvement in ride quality. Sporty dynamic to ride.

As per today's SVP fb quotes for Car & bike show;

-And it begins! DDiS now. The handling has shot up on the diesel too. Sound damping cudve been better tho!

-Tilt steering also on base LXi & LDi variants. So are rear parcel tray and retractable cup holder. Nice! Not ABS tho!

-The car is spirited. New suspension and brakes great at high speeds. Tops off at 165kmph or so.

-ZDi is the pick of the pack for moi. How much wud u pay for this all new variant? Old VDi was priced at Rs 5.37 lakh.

I think the first one pic is going to be a part of the TV ad of the new Swift,just have a look at the way car is parked+location+cameras.

Anyways,I'd have liked it more if the rear would have looked somewhat different.

I guess, the lack of Vdi ABS should bite swift dearly. If I couldn't get it, I won't stretch myself too much for a Zdi, instead just settle for Ldi

Now giving safety features only on to end variant would place it much higher compared to Figo or beat or liva.

@Creativebala:

Is there any confirmation from MS that VDi will not get ABS any more?As much I remember' date='the ABS is still on offer on VDi as a paid option.[/quote']

I have booked one long time back and it's still live. I got call from it's regional office to upgrade to Zdi as that is no Vdi ABS.

I am disappointed with these latest photographs of Swift. There is not much on the exterior and interior make up cannot be counted as refreshed model.

I still feel the present old model is good than this new model.

OK let us see what happens in next 1 or 2 months time.

@Bornfree:

Not only the headlamps but tail lamps too are tried to give the wrap-around touch,but they made something else instead.They are stretched so is price too.

I think fog lamps are also missing in the above shown ZXi variant.

Exterior doesn't have that flair in design because it is similar to old Swift but the interior is really nice.

Though some people are finding interior of New Swift dull and dark as most of the people like beige colour , I personally liked the black dash , new Steering and overall dash design, speedo and also the center console and in-dash music system. 

Just like Kizashi the overall dash design looks awsome.

New-Maruti-Suzuki-Swift-interior.jpg 

I am always in the favor of a black dash.In fact some people can call it dull,but I like the matte finish instead of those shiny parts.

whatever the exterior is,but interior is a true turn-on for me.

Overdrive is the first one to post its Exclusive First Drive report:

It's finally here - the new Swift - the most anticipated small car of the year. It has been six years since the Swift was launched to thunderous response and even now, when everybody knows there