driftpunk

Buying a 2nd-Hand Skoda Octavia

Guys, my brother is looking for a car after driving his Esteem for 6 years and he has a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider offer in hand which has been driven for 35000 km and is Nov. 2007 make. The car is in mint condition and looks as good as new! My brother TD'ed it and found it very satisfying.

He has been quoted a price of 7.40 Lac's by the seller but my brother refused this price.

Kindly tell me what price would be a good price for the car. 

I have requested the seller to send in some images of the car so that I can share with you and get more feedback. But for the time-being tell me what price should be good.

I think in and around 6.25-6.60L seems like an appropriate price. Is your brother willing to risk it with the maintenance costs involved with Skodas. From what we have seen and heard, they are rather expensive to maintain and the A.S.S followup isnt great.

Not just high maintenance costs. Suspension gives away early and is a costly affair. Also checking the lights, body damage and clutch is essential. Many Octavias including L&K ones had clutch issues.

I guess 6-6.5 seems to be a good deal. Skoda resale values are not too good.

@Sb if i am not wrong rider was the cheapest of the lot and production for it stopped by mid 2008. Apart from all you have mention small things like power window switchs are also a pain to get hold of.

If you guys really think 6.5 is a good rate then skoda sure must have good resale outside Bombay

@Sarab :

Only because it is a diesel. Had it been that VRS prices could have been around 3-4L. Even enthusiasts wont pay more than that. I have seen people buying cedia and Esteem paying more than Octavia VRS

On a lighter note, Skoda is a serious competition for BMW and Mercs on service and spare costs. Imagine your fabia and 320d having similar expenses.

On a lighter note' date=' Skoda is a serious competition for BMW and Mercs on service and spare costs. Imagine your fabia and 320d having similar expenses.
[/quote']

Seriously i have to replace the electronic OVRMs button and still cannot find it. shockingly skoda A.S.S hasn't yet been able to source it. Beemers parts are still easy to find.

@drifty ^ thats how difficult it is to source the parts and Octavia is a discontinued model

@Sarabjeet: I think the Octavia in India only came with a 1.9TDI engine, the Laura was launched with the 1.9 PD engine. Octavia 1.9 TDI has a good reputation worldwide. Stay away from out of production Skoda car's: parts and service will be an issue unless you know a good private garage who will look after your ride's service at a nominal cost.

Durango Dude2011-02-26 08:05:48

With 7.5 lakhs in hand, why should anyone buy an old and discontinued product whose parts are difficult to get or which are astronomically costly ?

He must have had (at least I am having now...) a difficult time now finding many serviceable parts for Esteem.  Why aggravate this difficulty by buying an outdated Octavia ? 

I personally would advice him to go in for a brand new diesel car (if he uses more or a petrol car if his use is moderate to less) with that sort of money.

At least peace of mind is guaranteed for the next four to five years. 

@driftpunk:

7.5 lacs is too much for an Octy.

You can get some very good deals for 4.5-5.5 lacs especially in Delhi and NCR regions.Even I too have owned an Octy two years back and it was sold for just 4.5 lacs while it was only 18 months old with 42k on odo.So I hope now you may have understood the real resale value of Octy.

At last,Octy is phased off too.