Jithesh

True Value or False Value?

I am apprehensive about the service and business of True Value outlets of Maruti.  I own a Swift VXi (July 2006) which is in very good condition being well-maintained and with a couple of minor dents.  It has several must-have after market fittings like MP3 6 speaker stereo, security system, teflon coating, horn (the original horn is just a joke!) etc.  They were all dealer fitted and from the Maruti Genuine Accessories bin as well.  I will not be using the car for the next one and half years because I will be away abroad.  So I am reluctantly thinking of selling my car.

True Value was one obvious choice as their dealings are easy and the documentation is easily taken care of.  I don't have enough time to run after the buyer for late payments and all that.  So I approached almost all the T-V outlets in the area and they quoted me a price of Rs 3,20,000.  But to my surprise I found the theoretical price of the car (I'm sure they are gonna take that as the selling price) to be Rs 3,65,000 in Maruti's website. I'm pretty confident of the car's condition as I use it personally and it would definitely classify as "good" (Maruti speak) if not "excellent".  The value for excellent condition is even more than this.  Now that's a substantial margin and I know that they are doing business and not social work, but I'm not sure whether that was a fair deal. 

I have a friend who has worked in True Value before and he said that they even repair accident-damaged vehicles and sell them through True Value.  This is certainly against Maruti's policy of not accepting any vehicle with an accident history.  That's not gonna pass their claimed 100 something "point-checks" for sure!

My cousin sold his 800 to a True Value outlet earlier for Rs 1,25,000.  Another of my cousins went to the shop posing as a buyer to gauge their margin on the car.  They quoted the price as Rs 1,55,000 after giving all the "dookandar" talk of having a margin of only Rs 10,000 on the car.  I hope readers will get an idea of their business and be aware the next time you go to them.   Use your personal judgement and take a mechanic friend with you before deciding on any car, "True Value" or not. 

Its good that they are giving free services with the cars, but everyone knows how much "free" a free service is, which costs the garagewala peanuts to do.  I'm sure Maruti is not aware of the things happening with these dealers, because they definitely wouldn't want to jeopardise their reputation.  I tried reporting this to Maruti on its website, but for some reason the form wouldn't go through.  I hope they get the message, if at all they read this!

Jitz 
Jithesh2007-12-16 07:39:05

True Value is definetly expensive and very good margin driver for the dealers. bcoz the rates in the used car market are not standardised... dealers also make use of the tag they already have to add fancies like the free service. paper work could done from a RTO dealer in the same time yu do it from True Value. anyways yu being the seller, yu dont have to do that also. my suggestion, say good bye to True value, if yu have atleast few weeks before yu fly, post an ad on www.carwale.com  yu can find buyers from here. they can contact directly. allow a test drive and negotiate the price. get full settlement in cash, ask the buyer to get the forms from RTO dealer. get the Delivery note signed from the buyer and yu sign rest of the papers. deal closed. yu dont have to bother abt anything once yu have the delivery note signed by the buyer. if yu dont have time for this, then do hunt for local dealers but the paper work remain the same as above

Hi,

What you say is absolutely true since manufacturers have entered this biz only due to hefty margins available and use their goodwill to invite buyers.Apart from the suggestion given for the carwale site yo ucould definitely try out the used car sellers to get an appropriate quote and get a fair value for your car. i know most people fret the name of these dealers but believe me they are the guys in the market and evenn the showroom guys actually deal with them from behind(else how would you expect these new showroom guys to put in large sums of money required to buy your car and stock them for days-you see its the inventory cost for them). get your quote from a couple of sources and then sell your car. ideally word of mouth through your network would also work wonders and may be you get a better deal.all the best to you.

Hey Jitesh... let me know (PM) if yu live in Bangalore. i will check with my friends if someone is interested. and if yu are are employee/employer of IT/Major companies, check if your company has a Classifieds weblink.and post an ad on there too 

Thanks you guys a tonne for the valuable suggestions and help.  That was indeed very kind and nice of you.  I have more than a month before I leave and will do a thorough research as per your suggestions before I let my dear baby go.  Its surprising that in our country corruption seeps in anywhere, even happening right under the nose of a well-run company like Maruti. 

Jitz

Acccording to me the Maruti Suzukis True value in KArnataka doesnot do like this , i have seent his many times myself they are very prompt.

They Buy at a marginal low price than the market rate from the sellers and sell it at a margunal high price from the market rate  , but according to me they arnt willing to buy Accidental cars and they donot tamper the Odometer and give 1 year waranty plus 3 free services , well myself never bought a second hand and dont wish to buy sooner , and if planning to buy i will buy from my friends who is well known and also his car too

Cheerssmiley20.gif

3.5 is a decent rate , the True Values are always like that , niether the Seller enjoys thier Buying rate nor the Buyer Enjoys his buying price ,

Maybe you can ask some of your friends if they require your car !

Also you can start a new thread about your cars sale , intrested parties may conatct you and ask you the Details in this very forum itself

Regards,

Priya

True Value is expensive no doubt. However, you do get the benefit of a warranty (for whatever it is worth) and and normally detailing of the car to give it a (near) impeccable finish.

In the UK you have the various old car buyer's guides, with three classifications of the price. A (the highest) refers to cars from dealers, whicle private buys normally fall into B and C

true value says that it carries out 120 checks on the cars they buy but their salesmen are unable to specify what these 120 checks are. We understand these checks better than non- automobilists and can at least find out whether they are telling the truth to us  or not.

I bought both my 2nd hand cars from Bimal True Value Bangalore. I was Pretty Happy Overall.  I feel its very useful for people who want to buy a 2nd hand car but have no idea only how to check a car. But I agree the price is on the higher side.

Of course if the True Value dealer itself is shady then nothing can be done .

I bought both my 2nd hand cars from Bimal True Value Bangalore. I was Pretty Happy Overall.  I feel its very useful for people who want to buy a 2nd hand car but have no idea only how to check a car. But I agree the price is on the higher side.

Of course if the True Value dealer itself is shady then nothing can be done .

you are right Buying a used car from true value is good but selling is good  only if you are buying a new car from them and you get good exchange bonus

Regards,

Priya

When the seller sells his car he gets a less value for his car say about 20k rs if its almost a new model say after 03 or 04 , but when they sell the same car they sell for 20k rs more than the market value , for instance i enquire about any used swifts , thier buying value was 3.65 for VXi 06 model , but after giving 3 free service and 1 yr waranty they sell it for 3.95 lakhs , i said a new car will be avalable that to 08 model for just paying 80k more who wants sed car then , he gave a grin,  and said we will ngotiate and give you at the best rate , but thier nego will be only by 5k .

With another true value dealer - the same maruti dealers demo car - the Esteem Vxi -04 dec Model (actualy it was for sale last 3 months back ) i asked them what is the price , they said 3.75 lakhs , then i heard that the car was for sale a month ago for 4 lakhs but no one bought it , so they got down the price , i asked them can i have a test drive , he said no test drives , as it purely checked by the true value and we wont allow to test drive , i asked him what sort of sh*tt is this then ?? anyway i went out from there and went to the showroom where my swifts sales advisor was there , actualy he is my friend! and i told him about what hapned in the true value , he said yuckk that esteem you know , if you drive and see you will know it , you cannot judge wetehr its a petrol or deisel in that shape it is , as it was driven roughly by many customers and those days were roads were very horrible , he was alughing then i knew thier true color. hehehe i even i couldnt help laughing!!!

Cheers!!!

I bought an Alto LX(1.5yrs old) from a True Value Dealer in Chennai for 2.5 lacs. I was new to the city and badly in need of a car. Overall the car was in good condition. But I don't think they will do 120 point checks and all before giving it to a new customer. 2 months after purchase, the car was giving an average of only 10 kmpl and when I took it them, they told me that the fuel injector has to be cleaned. When I asked whether it was there in their 120 points check, the mechanic was not sure. Also, they said there was no damage history for the car, but by chance one day I happenedto see the damage history from their computer itself.