asethi919

My new car: VW Polo 1.6.

Hi Santosh! I recently bought a 1.6 Polo too. Mine came with Apollo Acelere. I have rather limited knowledge about tyres but all the reviews say the Apollos arent good enough either from the performance point of view. But driving on a daily basis they are satisfactory.

If you want you can upgrade to Michellin XM1s or Bridgestone Turanzas which are great tyres. I personally didnt because I didnt want to spend another 15k.

As far as fuel efficiency in concerned, your brother is right. In bumper to bumper traffic do not expect more than 8-10km/l. Although my running is mostly on open roads so I comfortably manage about 13km/l.

vw dealer says they dont sell polo with appolo tyre anymore due to some problem of wheel alignment. is it true, a sethi when did u get ur polo delivered.

i do not wish to spend 15k on tyres but are apollo and jk good for ride comfort?

I got the delivery mid June and was provided Apollos. They have been trouble free till now. Have done almost 3000Kms. Ask the dealer to give you a different set of tyres if they can. Thats your only bet if you dont want to spend more on new tyres. Although you might have to spend considerably less since the tyre shop will buy your as good as new tyres for a reasonable price.

Well I really don't know weather I should be recommending any Tyre change to you, however I will like to share my personal experience, which I have shared number of times before as the experience was bitter. All OE fit weather Apollo, JK or Goodyear (I consider them to be the worst)are just good for first few thousand KM'S. If you really want a hassle free, comfortable & a dynamic ride then I will strongly recommend "Yokohama A-Drives" to you. I have not tried & tested other leading brands except Goodyear(Bad Tyres), "Yoko's" will change the entire perception, I have done 28,000 KM without a single flat & will hope to do another 50K.

Polo's first accidentsmiley7.gif

I am at a red light not moving at all. Suddenly these two morons on a scooter try to squeeze through me and another car. Since there wasn't enough space and they being at a reasonably high speed for stand still traffic, they brush my car. I thought it might leave a scratch or maybe a minor dent so I wasnt worried much. But I still get out of the car instantly and I see that the bumper has almost completely come off. Just the last 2-3 hooks were still in and the fog light wire of the right side(was hit of the other side). By the time I looked back, I see those two drive off. Being stand still traffic, I could not get a hold of them.

So I just yank the remaining hooks and the fog lamp wire out, stick the bumper in the car and leave too. I checked and the bumper is neither broken, nor are there any dents or scratches on the car. So hopefully, it should only be a minor fix job that I will get done from a local mechanic.

I was suprisingly calm but I wish I had rather got hold of those two *****. Anyways, whats done is done. Something you have to live with on our roads, I guess.

IMG00297-20110920-2157.jpgasethi9192011-09-20 18:07:03

@ asethi

Sad to see your polo in this condition. Need not worry even if there is any damage it is covered under insurace. We have to be very careful while driving becasue only god know when any m*r*n will jump in front of you like this. While in stationary traffic we try to maintain some gap between two vehicles, But these m*r*ns will try to use those space also to overtake/ lane change.As far as treating those is concerned, off no use, you will only get the worthless sorry word  from them. 

@DD

Its nothing about cost cutting. Now a days in all modern cars bumper are fitted with press on clips and it will definately come off it there is a impace from the side. But if somebody bumps from the front or rear. I can assure Polo has one of the toughest bumper available in cars.
ashikawa2011-09-21 08:38:12

I got it fixed from a local mechanic. 250 for the fog light and socket. 250 for bumper clips being fixed. And a 5 rs elfy to reattach the bottom part of the grill's plastic that came apart. Took him about an hour. So the total cost was 505 rs and a lot of inconvenience.

It still was better than going to the authorized workshops.

@DD I really hope thats not the case. But honesty it does seem that all modern car bumpers are the same. And as Ashikawa said, the bumper is mostly hung in place by clip ons and a 3 screws on either side.

Went to the service station for the first service. I've been quoted a total amount of 8500 for the servicing. This includes oils and coolent change. What struck out to me was the engine oil charges of 4500. Is that an appropriate amount?

EDIT: Got my answer on @Ashikawa's thread. They used the Castrol Magnatec Professional B4 5W 40 which as specified by Ashikawa, is worth 970/litre. The fact that it would require 4-4.5 litre was the VW guy's guess and I guess I have to trust him on that.

Car Update: 14,408 kms done and still a month to go before I complete 1 year. There were a few bumps and scratches on the car and some noises/cluttering noises from here and there but hopefully would be taken care of after the servicing. Overall a not too bad experience for the first year. asethi9192012-05-02 06:55:53

@DD Real life has been keeping me busy and I needed a break anyway. Hope things are well at your end. With the family, work and especially the car. :)

Yes. Almost a year. It has served well so far. Currently in the midst of dealing with endless calls from insurance agents regarding renewing the car insurance.

Went to the service station for the first service. I've been quoted a total amount of 8500 for the servicing. This includes oils and coolent change. What struck out to me was the engine oil charges of 4500. Is that an appropriate amount?

thats really bad to see a lovely car in that situation!

by the way... 8500 for first service? OMG! isn't that a huge price?