TAUREAN CZAR

Toyota to launch Liva hatchback in June

Reason: Company says it is hiking capacity to meet Etios sedan demand.

It is pushing back the launch of the Etios Liva hatchback from April to June, in a move to bring down the waiting period of the Etios sedan.

Originally, the plan was to begin production of the Liva hatch by Feb-March and utilise a second shift to do that. Now, it seems that the company will utilise the second shift to produce more Etios and bring down the waiting period to ease customer retention.

In the last few weeks, several customers who had booked the car have withdrawn their booking amounts after the waiting period stretched to a period of six to eight months. Some dealerships have registered as high as 50 per cent cancellations

Source: Toyota Etios Liva

Post edited: Fonts & Sizes corrected.
BornFree2011-03-07 07:57:14

In the

last few weeks' date=' several customers who had booked the car have withdrawn

their booking amounts after the waiting period stretched to a period of

six to eight months. Some dealerships have registered as high as 50 per

cent cancellations.

[/Quote']

Looks like Toyota has tried to swallow more than it could.

Result: as high as 50 per

cent cancellations.

Now time to bite the bullet.

shanthanreddyp2011-03-06 19:24:25

This issue of cancellation shows Toyota in poor light. Toyota should have been candid with customers and give them actual idea of booking period. You can not promise a booking period of one month and ended up by 5-6 months late.

OT: Booking period issue is frustrating for any customer. I don't why dealers ended up considerably late vis-a-vis promised delivery date. I mean: any company can keep a central database and generate booking number in real time. With production being almost constant, it is not very difficult to predict delivery period. Delay by an week at the most is acceptable: but by a month or more shows that dealer and company are cooking something else.

... shows that dealer and company are cooking something ...

This is there since long in our market.  Most of the Dealers would `book' and `log' a large number of vehicles (usually, without any money actually collected) expecting that the `premium' on such vehicles would give them profits.  We have seen many dealers who offer an out-of-turn allotment and delivery of cars for a fat sum as premium.  This can be avoided only by asking the customers (both real and fictitious/spurious) directly to pay the money directly into the bank account of the car company.  This way, the bogus bookings by dealers can be avoided and only genuine customers data is available to the manufacturer.  Booking amounts should not be given to the Dealers who are known for manipulating these.  In these days of Core Banking Systems functioning in all banks, I see no reason why this can not be done.   

The only other reason why the car manufactuers promote and beget this malice of excess booking and bogus booking is to show to the world that their cars are in great demand.  This game of `you scratch my back and I will scratch yours' by the car manufacturer and dealers is bad in the end to both of them.  As is evident now and all along time and again. 

One more reason for this mass cancelation of bookings is the lack of its Diesel option, Customers are swayed from it by Recent Introduction of SX4 Diesel, Reduced booking amount of DZire(5k only), Interesting upcoming launches like new Verna, Fiesta.

Only Hardcore Toyota fans are now left in the Toyota Etios Bookings bin now.

Rest nothing is there in full-fledged Sedan weighing mere 200kgs more than Maruti 800.

Regarding Etios Liva, By delaying it by months Toyota is only creating mess for themselves, they're losing more than they deserve.

Had they launched Liva first, so much cancellations wouldn't have been expected as-

-1stly Diesel option matters not as much in hatchbacks than Sedans.

-Had they launched Liva at 3.8-3.99 lacs earlier, they would be having considerable amount of i10, Ritz share by now.

So, concentration on Liva now can yield better Result than on Sedan.dr_nishu2011-03-07 07:13:29

Maruti is also blameable for the same malpractice of high waiting period for Swift & Dezire.

Reason: Maruti can increase the production of Wagon-R and sell around 14-15k PM. Also it can spare diesel engines for SX4, But it cannot increase the production of Swift & Dezire to end the waiting period though it has its own facility to manufacture diesel engines.

It has noticed that Swift & Dezire will sell for long but Wagon R may face the heat in short term so is in a hurry to cash in on them.

I remember that day when logan was launched, people didn't liked its boxy looks inspite of efficient and powerful enough diesel engine . Now after few years toyota launched its entry level sedan with the similar boxy looks and cheap interiors(no diesel option yet)  and it received high number of bookings. I thought the days were gone when the people just buy the car because of its brand but i think this concept still somewhat prevails. I still prefer logan over etios.        

I have a feeling that Toyota is preferring Etios over Liva as Toyota is more confident of Liva than Etios. Toyota wants to cash in on Etios hype as much as possible. With a slew of new launches coming up Etios will have a tough time in fighting it out for market share.

Not so much problem for Liva. Yes by June, probably new Swift will be launched. But present Swift is already a formidable competitor so launch of new Swift will not change the equation by much. Honda Brio will never reach customer's door before July. So Toyota can safely postpone launch of Liva to June and use the production capacity to garner as much Etios customer as possible itssanguine2011-03-10 11:37:42

50% can never be blamed on waiting period,there is no waiting period actually,just look at it's sales figures.This will be Toyota's first failure in India.

This car is made for the taxi segment.

This will be Toyota's first failure in India.This car is made for the taxi segment.

But Etios does not have a diesel heart at present. And will not have one for another year. So its difficult to deduce that this car was made for Taxi market only.

On the contrary, engine performance of Etios is very good as compared to its primary competitors such as Manza & Dzire. One does not make cars with good performance for taxi market.

But yes, with a diesel heart, base model of Etios would be ideal for taxi market.

As per one member of neighbouring Auto forum,

'The etios Liva will be launched in June end. The car will be powered by a 1.4 diesel which powers the corolla, but will have a FGT. The car will be priced very aggressively at 6.2lakhs on-road for the top end diesel and production has already started. The ARAI mileage is 25kmpl'.

IMHO, If this news is true than everybody here know that how much devastation it can do for the other nearby Diesel hatchbacks.

An Inborn & True rival for MS Swift Diesel. 

I will take this news with a pinch of salt. Toyota categorically stated that petrol models of Etios & Liva will launch first  and diesel models will follow later. Last month ET reported that diesel variants have been postponed till 2012. Toyota recently postponed launch of Liva due to capacity constraint. Now all of a sudden they are planning to diesel variants of both Etios & Liva. What happened to capacity constraint?

I still feel Liva petrol will be rolled out first.

OT: May be Toyota employed ZooZoo 3G in assembly line. smiley36.gif

As per on Twitter,

-Drove Liva over weekend in B'lore. Works brilliantly for India! Surprisingly spacious, rides well, looks much better than sedan.

-Liva not sporty but brilliant for city - light, effortless, refined, comfy. At 4lakh will worry Figo, Swift, i10, Polo et all.

-Engine ok by 1.2 standards; has lost zing of etios' 1.5 mileage shud be v good tho New swift will have 90PS 1.2 & will be far quicker.
Twitted by Sirish.

& The biggest news of this year;

Diesel in Etios & Liva by year end or early 2012. Trial production already done. Same 1.4 has Altis, may not have VGT turbo. #fb
dr_nishu2011-06-19 20:46:01