Roadrash

Sx4 ZXI vs City S MT vs Optra magnum 1.6lt

HELLO friends

my requirements areL-

1) solid ride and smooth drive quality, must absrb big bumps..in short great suspension...with high spped overall stability

2) ZIPPY city drive..as i  love to accelerate.....not much of a highway person.....i do max 140 on the highways at the most..tell me which is most stable in this department

3) large interior space,front and rear

4) build quality and endurance( i intend to keep it for thext 15 years or so)

5) ease of drive, and AC efficiincy

5) cost of servicing and A.S.S.

6) I INTEND TO KEEP THE SEDAN WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME..SO NO RE SALE WORRIES.....only worried about spares cost and accident costs....which I think comes with my style of driving....WHICH ONE OF THESE IS WELLBUILT????

i test drove a spanking new 2011 CITY S MT, the only thing i cud find the little test drive was that the test drive dealer told me go little easy on the bumpers........and in my normal driving i sometimes i cant see them ...so i am a bit uncertain just this aspect of city...was a terrrific car otherwise

SX4 ....well many say it lacks quality , has poor rear en visibility, bad side visiblity due to thick a pillar,. makes me uncertain agai

but then they say it has the highest suspension so it cheers me up there

OPTRA....well it cheers me up on the interior space parameter....while patchy ASS and no dual airbags even in 1.6 lt ., along with optra mag being a very old model makes uncertain again...........

One car i am going to test soon is the ETIOS.....i didnt include in the topic name since its not a premium sedan....but has great interior space and great city riding ability..but at 930 odd kilos with even cars like swit and punto outweighing i am little worrried bout its build quality....also the consoles are pretty tacky.....it looks better than what peole say ...ugly or not..its a great car for 5 well built peopl..something even the city and s4 lose out on.........so I include it here too

--------- Font size reduced in one item, colour changed to maintain emphasis. Some spelling corrections done

sgiitk2011-03-07 06:40:58

also .. i include ..or shud i say preclude..THE NEW FIESTA B299. 2011 EDITION WHICH IS Supposed to b out by june......its gonna have 1.6 engine with `8 bhp....thats nice...and a new bulbous design.........http://www.dancewithshadows.com/autoindia/2011-ford-fiesta-launch-confirmed/

here's the link...so i think the sedan segment sure gets more hot...........

Best option is to go for Honda City S or V version depending upon your budget.

Amongst above quoted cars Honda's City is a already proven & user friendly car & a lakh rupees spent more in the beginning will prove its worth in mere Next 3-4years of its usage.

Afterthat, you'll just enjoy its Refinement & pleasure.dr_nishu2011-03-05 19:28:55

dr nishu...this is dr abhinav...hi....anhc s mt is coming to for 9.25 lac.....sx4 zxi fully loaded at 8.30..and optra havent inquired.......its either bettween xity's quality or sx4's suspension........ihave heard city's engine is the best of the lot......but iany have warned me bout banging city on big bumps......i

Note from ACI Support: Avoid the use of "....." within sentences & check/preview your post before putting it up. Poorly created posts will be deleted promptly.
BornFree2011-03-06 06:08:47

Out of the 3 the optra is the best built ,but I won't put in my money on it as in future the spare prices will higher and you may need to wait longer for them.

The best chassie and built quality in todays market is the Linea followed by the Vento . I would recommand the Linea T jet if you have the budget .

Or else just wait for the new fiesta sedan .The built quality is expected to be at par the the FIAT.

..anhc s mt is coming to for 9.25 lac.....sx4 zxi fully loaded at 8.30..and optra havent inquired.......its either bettween xity's quality or sx4's suspension........ihave heard city's engine is the best of the lot......but iany have warned me bout banging city on big bumps

Yes Roadrash Honda City being delicate in its type of construction, might get Unsettled/banged easily when driven on bad roads frequently.

However, SX4 can perform better there due its bigger 16-Inch wheels, Robust Suspension & 180mm Ground clearance.

One of cousin is having the latter for its all kind of usage.

Optra is also a good option but its quite Old now & is poor on the FE stakes-expect 8-10kmpl in City conditions.

Except for your requirements regarding the car having a softer suspension that absorbs bumps, City does everything better than the other cars mentioned. I would certainly go for it above the SX4(only if I had the budget).

If ride quality is that important then you can also look at the Linea. Supposed to be best in its class.

As mentioned earlier in other threads also, no car can match the Fineness of City. Sx4 is no doubt good car, but you don't get quality interior and smoothness Honda city provides. Just compare the noise of ignition starter in SX4 with H-city. Insulation of City is far better than Sx4, so lots of noise is filtered to give you silent cabin. However only culprit of city is it;s low ground clearance. You have to be very vigilant while moving on the bumps. All the best.

as i intend to have the car around for a v long time , ove 10 years i,e so i cant go in for a untested car like t jet which is a baby still.,, though a great car , havent seem many fiats lasting that long, apart from the original padmini series

city- yes ihad gone for the test drive, the dealer got me a brand new honda v mt, and there was no sound in the cabin, some engine start indicator tone, or ac sound , dunno wat it was, which was a temporary sound, and then i was like...is the engine running? and the ezecutive just smiled and i knew this car was QUALITY

even at 60 kmh i usually dont see the bumpers or some nasty eleatios on the road , so im scared bout damaging the car in the long run, cause i know the city is no maruti 800 in this aspect,

sx4 i havent driven till now, though i dont like its bulky look , its suspension will hold the key, will take it over the same bumpers i did with city,

what about the new ford fiesta guys? 118 bhp, under 9 lakhs . i heard its costly to maintain? should i wait for it?

@Roadrash- If you are keeping it for over 10 years. just look for none other than the Honda City. it will serve you for ages and as you would know its one of the finest and the best reliable car in its category. and it does score pretty well in other categories too, be it the Engine, performance , interior quality , build quality , safety features. Fiesta(new) on this Aspect will  not be up there and i dont think they are reliable and serve you for over 10 yrs easily and its high on maintenance too.However do have a look at the Vento. though i still prefer you to go in for the Citysmiley20.gif

mndvishnu2011-03-08 16:02:11

Go for City definitely. One of the oldest sedans I still see on the road is City 1st generation. And maintenance for them is still no problem.

SX4 wont be causing you any maintenance problems either. All Marutis are reliable age old 800, Esteems and Zens will testify it. Nor will there parts availibility be a question.

Regarding your bump test, SX4 is certainly the best at swallowing bumps however large they may be, so you need not worry about it.

The only thing you need to decide between City and SX4 is whether you want features or you want quality?

rahul . i dont expect the quality t be that bad in sx4???? i mean even after having td a city , i knew at this bufget i cant expect much ...but since ihaventd td a sx4 i cannot comment bout quality of sx4, the city;s cain noise was 0 ,and surely it exuded quality

low gc, n climate control, no alloys, at a version that is 9.25 lakhs , while gettin all of that along with climate control best gc is confusing me as of now

will td etios on friday ,and sx4 after that, 

yes , the city is king of the c segment any car that is launched is compared to it a the benchmark, two of my uncles are hardcore city addicts, they swear by the engine of the first genration of honda city, now have the current versions, heavy drivers they r,

bu my case is different, i am hardly gonna drive it more than 4k-5k km a year,, need it mostly for city purpose,

hence the petrol

will see if  i can "adjust" to the interiors of sx4 when i td it ,. my neighbor as a zxi  , and it doesnt too oo bad if compare it to city from the outside,

on the contrary , its muscular looks tell me its looks male while the city looks more metrosexual ,or girish to say the least, lol, hence the city is a stunner, while sx4 gets not as many votes for its looks

one more thing i wanted to ask, i see a rear spoiler on some sx4's , and i presume its a feaure on the zxi , while the sx4 my nighbor hs , doesnt seem to ave one, has it been removed from the presentday sx4?

one more thing , this one for the sx4 riders

does the new sx4 still have rattles,clutch.gearbox issues?????

as many city owners tell me, the initial cost of city holds out in the lng run owing to its quality

while in many forums i have read about such niggles associated with the sx4,

in order of age, the city is the oldest and perhaps the most tested , hence the leader of the pack

while the sx4 comes across as a rally munching, bump eating "man" of the c segment.

and add to this is the new looming fiesta 118 bhp , if spares are still 2 costly i think that gets out,

the city v mt i drove was a new vehicle, as the test drive one was away , so maybe i would not have got the full feel of the car

If you intend to keep your car for 10 years, you better wait for new Fiesta and Verna. You will get too much for at lower price. Again it will add some confusion too..LOL... All the best.

Ford's and new Hyundais are not meant to be owned for 10 years. Maruti's and Honda's are best known for this job. My uncle as a Getz and is already suffering with parts. With Hyundai changing its cars every 3-4 year, it wont be an easy task maintaining it. As for Ford, any long standing 1st generation Ikon owners bills will be enough of a justification.

@Roadrash

I am not saying SX4 quality is that bad. Its quality is definitely good and very much acceptable. What I meant to say was refinement and finesse of City. This again does not mean that SX4 is not good in this area, it is just that City is better.

So your choice boils down to VFM and features or Refinement and Finesse.

PS: BTW I am a City owner and have extensively traveled on both the cars. I will just say one thing. You cant go wrong with either!

yes rahul , u are right, one of my  uncle has an ikon , another friend has an ikon, though both love their cars, they are like dude u have to spend on the spares once the downhill starts,

i am madly in love with the city, but the GC thing is worrying me , as my dad has a knack of hitting the bumps, and he never goes slow over the bumps,

i have mellowed down , over the bumps, as my 800 took a lot of hits

can u please tell me what could be the worst case scenario if i bump a honda city over a nasty bumper at a speed over 60km/h????  have done that in my 800 , banged my head on the ceiling, and yes the suspension got weakend, but the repair and all didnt hurt me much ,

what could the aftermath be in a city?

and one more thing, ig my 800 could take the cumps well , wont the city take em?????? i never had any issues with my 800 suspension even after multiple hits

also i have heard the sx4 doesnt have a good ride at speeds below 60 kmh?

and pl tell me, iv heard about low end torwue being deifcient in sx4???

i am the kind of driver who always gets off to express start whenever i am at the head of the traffic on a red light,  does sx4 not pull up that fast?

another aspects i just came across in different forums and different posts is that the SX4  , doesnt offer a great ride at low speeds

what i gather is that is that its get skittled over bad roads at low speeds, has bad low end end torque.someone writing that one has to live with it in the sx4, and that sx5 doesnt like bumper to bumper traffic, something one cant avoid in the city

are these one off things or common ??? also regarding the city's GC,is the city really that bad on GC?  my problem is thatI RIDE HARD ON

THE BUMPS, i.e sometimes i dont see them , and when i do , esp at

speeds over 60 km/h i dont slow down much , hence i end up hitting them

badly, this GROUND CLEARANCE thing has never been an issue with me in

the maruti 800, in which i have heard possibly all sounds of scraping

and i admit i have literally driven it in the most twisted way , but

the 800 took it all very sweetly, and THIS IS A BIG QUESTION that bothers me most, if my 800 can take those hits , WILL THE

CITY TAKE THEM as good ? or will i need to spend a lot of time n money

getting it repaired? if yes , then how  much would be the damage on the

city, cause i have not seen many drivers taking the city on highways

,esp the bad ones, but some city fans have devised ways of tackling

them, this is one issue everyone has confused me about, give me an idea

here,

apart from the GC thing i dont have no pre ownership doubts bout the city, which are more in case with sx4, as i read more and more in threads all over the net

City's ground clearance is quite decent enough.! i dont think it would be an issue until n unless there is such an odd n awkward Speed breakers. however i prefer you to have a test Drive in the City. make sure you got 4 people seated in it, and take it in such areas and check it out thoroughly. this would help you in deciding and understanding better smiley1.gif

dumb me, i again wrote very big reply in the quick reply section , and then at the end of the mararthon i forgot i was in quick reply and press the red post reply icon at the bottom right

so this one again

thank u asethi ,sb alto , rssh , durango dude, nikvint , rahul , vishnu

my quest for my 2nd car is nearing completion and i have called up the same honda rep for another td of the s mt  on sat, hope to get the lackadaisical maruti rep to get sx4 zxi manual vehicle the same day

one of my uncles who is a old user of hondas, the first gen , and now the 2nd gen , visited me this moring for some work

he reiterated almost all the things i have read here, he has done 30 k  on his car,and told me that city;s gc was not much of an issue in a city like delhi, although he also says I MUST GO SLOW ON THE BUMPERS

the usual , ones like SX4 IS STRONG BUT LACKS QUALITY, REFINEDNESS ,

also , i found out the average hump height in new delhi is 100 mm ,

hope to have long td of both cars the same day , with family , so that i can decide ,

dont how long it would take me to learn how to drive a c segment , but my heart still longs for the ease of a hatchback , but no re thoughts now

will post here, the experiences and the decision ,. and hopefully the car soon,,,,,,,

as rssh mentioned, Honda advertised a central fuel tank as more safer option but if in a hump i  damage it then its it too risky, like the ones they show in movies when the car catches fire???????? sounds stupid but i am a total newbie on automobiles