TravellerSX4

Please Help for SUV <15L

hello members,

I am Planning to buy a SUV in may. my budget is 15 lacs (max). can you please suggest the right vehicle to go for?

My chocies are :

Safari (vx, 4WD)

Scorpio (4WD Top end)

Aria ( i really dont want to go for)

i am crazy about safari , specally the looks. please help me to select the right SUV. i will be travelling  a lot. and my first tour will be leh ladhak (from Nagpur).

i need 4 wheel drive option as off roading is my new passion and i am trying it with my sx4 these days.

Please give your valuable comment on whether safari si worth 14 lacs(on road nagpur, almost) .

Note from ACI Support: Thread moved to the right section.
BornFree2011-03-07 07:32:21

Safari is due for a face-lift and new version of safari is already in test condition. TATA will launch the new safari soon. So wait till new safari is launched. Though there is no concrete information about it's launch, but you can expect it around August-September. Till then enjoy your SX4. All the best.

For off roading use the safari is the best vehile of the 3 and you can go with it eyes closed .

Overall the aria is most comfortable of the 3 overall and has option for 4x4 and 4x2 . It won't be a good offroader .

Tata Safari is the best option amongst the 4x4 offroaders in Sub-15 lacs budget.

Recently It've also stood first in Tata Full Throttle Rally event.

Since, its face-lift is very much around the corner,

So waiting for it will bear more Sweeter fruits.

But waiting for its All-New Safari based on Aria Platform doesn't makes that much sense, as Tata have the habit to launch Half-baked cars.

So, it'll further take another couple of years to Rectify & prove itself. 
dr_nishu2011-03-07 18:41:49

The Safari is on the verge of being replaced, and it is no match for the Scorpio's driving finesse. On the other hand, the Safari is big, Brash and has lots of space. Take your pic. It is a barge to drive though with almost no feedback whatsoever from its boatlike suspension and vague steering.

Like you i am also a big fan of Safari.Its looks,comfort are ultimate for sub 20L SUVs.But i really hate its steering,Engine and Gear box. Other side Scorpio have brilliant engine,gear box and better steering. But the middle row seats are horrible.

Resale value is far better than Safari.

Wait for New Safari let us hope it will come with better engine,gear box and steering.

My pick would be Safari.

The AN Safari based on Aria is few yrs away. The safari others talks here is just a face lift on existing safari with sapre wheel pushed down. Some improvements could have been done, BUT, the spy shot images reveals, the existing Safari looks 1000 times better. BornFree2011-03-08 07:14:55

I will recommend you to choose Safari if you want a manual beast with 140 bhp and with good overall average of 11.4 km/l or else you can have Scorpio with 122 bhp engine and 4WD AT transmission with lots of goodies packed in it and decent average of 10.2km/l. The difference between these cars prices are hardly 20-25k (ex-showroom). My pick would surely been Scorpio because it scores more marks than Safari and serve every purpose from off-roading to city driving.

I would suggest you think about buying a Skoda Yeti. On a slightly stretched (16.5 lakh) budget - what you get is much more than you would expect for the price increase.

Reasons:

1.Better Build quality and Fit& Finish

2.More Features

3.Superbly refined and smooth 2.0L TDI motor(140 bhp)

4.Slick and smooth gearshift (with gearshift change indicator)

5.Haldex 4-wheel Drive System with Hill Hold Assist, ABS, EBD WITH BA, and Tracton control system (ASR and ESP also.

6.Better to drive on-road and off-road as well.

My reason fornot buying a Safari - http://archive.autocarindia.com/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8317

I suggest you go in for a top-end Scorpio.  As someone said earlier, the difference in cost is marginal.  But, the comfort of having a better, well organized, and dependable service backup is assured with all Mahindra's products than what you get with Tata/s.  As I own a top-end Xylo, I can say that their Service is excellent and top-class and is better than the much acclaimed Maruti's (I had owned two vehicles of Maruti).   I did not own any Tata product (earlier or now).   But, I hear a lot of negative things, in this and other auto-forums, about Tata's service backup which certainly needs a lot of improvement. 

Moreover, Mahindra's are experts in servicing MUVs and SUVs.  They are almost fully (about 80 to 90%) dedicated to this segment.  So, their workmanship is much better.  On the otherhand, Tata's service centres are crowded with Indicas, Indigos, Vistas and now-a-days even with Nanos. So, you find more car-experts than you find MUV/SUV experts in their service centres.  Similarly, MUV/SUV spares take their own time to reach in such centres which cater mainly to cars. 

So, decide for yourself.  Remember that you `buy' only once.  But you need `spares and service' support for years to come.  

Safari is probably the worst handling car I have ever driven in my entire life. Plus couple that with the niggling quality issues and you have something that will annoy you on a regular basis. It is definately a better looking car than the Scorpio but there is hardly anything else it is even remotely better at.

I say go for the Scorpio and if possible extend your budget and go for the Yeti.

@traveller sx4

safari is the best option for you.go for it,its offroad capability is awesome.and there is going to be a MAJOR facelifited safari soon,you can also refer the autobild book(i think it should be january 2011 or feb 2011.and iam sure that the new safari is also going to rock,but tata will launch it in the end of 2011.wait for it and go for it.

And in highway everybody will pave you the way by seeing your safari in their mirror,a muscular blended vehicle.

Till that enjoy your ride with sx4.(rocking vehicle)

and you can also go for aria if you have more people on board with you

SWIFT DZIRE ZDI