dhawald3

buying first car help! 3-4L

Hi there,
This is my first post, as I am deciding which will be my first car.

my budget is 3-4 lakhs.

in the long term which one will be a good car (petrol)

alto K10
wagon R
chevrolet Spark.
Hyundai Santro.

please help me.

Thread moved: To the right section - ACI support.
BornFree2011-03-07 17:32:40

The santro will be replaced soon. I suggest you get the K10. IT is a wonderful car.

I will not mind having some extra space.

how do wagon R and Santro compare in space and performance.

If you are a tall person & Need more space go for Santro.Santro's face lifted model will launch soon.Choose Alto K10 for more refined engine,Fuel economy,lesser spare parts cost,high resale value etc.

Wagon R almost same as Santro have more interior space. LXi is good choice.Test drive all these cars and decide.

In long term K10 and Wagon R will be a good car.

Let me make a few general comments on the Maruti-Hyundai issue. Maruti cars tend to be technically more advanced, but develop rattles in 3-4 years. On the the other hand Hyundais are not so high-tech but are more durable. They tend to develop fewer niggles. Maintenance costs are about the same.

My cousin's Hyundai accent gone for major chasis repair because of rust within 3 years of its life.He spend around 80K for repairing.He used to apply under body anti corrosive treatment every year without fail since they were staying in Vizag. Even his 7 years old Palio,2 yrs old Optra and Neighbor's 10 old zen were never shown any such problems.So i have some negative feeling about Hyundai's durability.

WagonR from the above list, even if you are doing highways. New chassis, new gearbox, reliable engine and plenty of space and you can get ABS as an option. Quality better than current Santro.

Generally Hyundai has better build quality. But Maruti has improved many folds in recent times.

sb-alto2011-03-08 16:49:11

Yesterday I went to the showrooms of hyundai,Ford, maruti

the average on road cost for santro or wagon R is about 3.8- 4.0 L

but the Basic model of ford Figo will cost about 3.9 on road, which seems to be a better car for the price though it low on fuel economy, and over long term costs will be high

still confused :-(

Dear Dhavald3, compared to earlier Wagon-r, santro was much better car. More powerful and sturdy, but now with new wagon-r, santro looks old and outdated. Even engine of Wagon-r is now better and F.E. than Santro. Maruti's quality has also improved a bit with newer cars. So between new Wagon-r and santro, wagon-r wins hand down.

Between Wagon-r and Spark, it is a tough choice. However, Wagon-r has more cabin space while spark has more boot space with adequate cabin space. You will get more features in Spark than Wagon-r at same price. So if you wish to have feature-rich car, spark makes more sense. However if ASS and resale value are taken into consideration, wagon-r will again win here.

So it's better you TD both these cars with your family and decide.

Compared to Alto-K-10, spark is more practical, spacious and sturdy car. All the best.

bala: Maybe maruti have improved. In my Accent I had indications of a rust breakthrough in about 7-1/2 years. Of course Vizag will be a bad place for this. Also, once the corrosion gets in Anti-rust is a waste. Just seals in the muck. You may have see that I recommend anti-rust treatment only in coastal areas. Here again it should be a proper job like Dinitrol which sprays inside the sills, doors, etc. and not the local slap and dash stuff.

Santro isn't going to be replaced anytime soon, instead Hyundai is planning to launch their 800cc Alto-rival which is going to be placed & priced immediately below the Santro.

Nothing else.

& Santro will remain India's favourite & most desirable tall-boy car with its comfortable Interiors & Easy on mind n pocket Ownership experience.

Both wagon R and spark are good choice for you. My uncle replaced his wagon r(after using for 9 years), it never troubled him. Now he owns chevy spark for last 18 months, done around 20000+ kms. on it. It is also trouble free. And from outside also it looks good for 3-4 lac budget with all 3 year warranty and free service package.If you can extend your budget a little more chevy beat PS/LS is also a good option.

the alto is awesome or the lpg wagon r ' date='the new model looks very futuristic.no korean cardboards please[/quote'] All chevy cars go through stringent safety tests and have the options of airbangs/ ABS/ Alloys, which alto doesn't have. How come it became a cardboard. Please give a second thought to your comment.