Pranab*

Octavia Upgrade

Hi, My friend needs help on upgrading to a better car, He has used Skoda octavia for about 6 years now and never really had problems untill the last 15 months, He was very happy for those years but then after skoda treated him badly in recent time with co-opertation, He claims skoda changed his gear box & a couple of other things, since last few months and now once again after servicing, thier say he would have to pay 1.2 lacks, After repeated amounts of payments in this last year,  So now he decided to sell it and his dad discovered the hate for skoda and will never buy a skoda vehicle again. 

My friend was sold out on the skoda Superb but urfortunetly his dad will never buy it, He has a budget between 15-24 lacks, His dads main concern is that it should have a high warranty for atleast 4 or 5 years, Must be diesel engine, powerfull, decent enough average. His dad dosen't want a SUV, Once a month go on highways to pune/ mableshwar ( 500 km ) The car will be chaffaur driven and my friend would drive it to. His dad once in a while maybe on sundays.

His dad is thinking of the VW Jetta top end model with getting a deal of a 5 year warranty. Does he have more options in this case ?

@Pranab

Present VW Jetta can be sourced at discount (its old but has a timeless design)

New Passat and New Jetta is around the corner and VW service hasn't have horror stories yet.

You can also ask your friend to try out 320D ce but its a drivers car

Other option is C220cdi CE which is about 24.50

There is cruze but i don't think it would fit your criteria
sarabjeet2011-03-09 18:02:20

@Pranab

Present VW Jetta can be sourced at discount (its old but has a timeless design)

New Passat and New Jetta is around the corner and VW service hasn't have horror stories yet.

You can also ask your friend to try out 320D ce but its a drivers car

Other option is C220cdi CE which is about 24.50

There is cruze but i don't think it would fit your criteria

His warranty is on main Focus now, he was thinking about the 3 series but the warranty was what he is looking at. The Vw dealer told him that there will be a new jetta  in october not now, is that true ?

Cruze ya a good car, but your paying 14 lacks for yourself to be thrown and stuffed on the back seat.

@Pranab

New Passat would be launched by end of this month (Jetta would take another month) but would take another month to reach the showrooms.

He can get BSI package for 3 series (which covers upto 5 years) and mercedes also offers warrenty for around 3-4 years.

@Pranab

New Passat would be launched by end of this month (Jetta would take another month) but would take another month to reach the showrooms.

He can get BSI package for 3 series (which covers upto 5 years) and mercedes also offers warrenty for around 3-4 years.

Whats BSI package ?

BSI (BMW service inclusive) you need to pay a certain amount of money for a 3 year or 5 years service pack which covers all wear and tear parts and any other part which malfunctions are replaced for free for 5 years. Service costs and oil changes are also free of cost.

It also covers the cost of replacement of tyres.

@pranab- VW Jetta is not a bad option , at the same time not the best option in that league either.! and taking into consideration that his dad hates Skoda. FYI VW is the sister concern of Skoda.

I know his dad doesnt want an SUV. but keeping in mind his budget, i would still prefer his dad to take a test drive of the Toyota Fortuner.  If he doesnt like , let him not buy, but no harm in having a Test drive right? Itz just above all though the comparision of SUV and a sedan is not appropriate. and would serve him for ages without any head ache or trouble. unlike the Skoda

Jetta, Sonata, (Cruz / Kizashi - questionable) Skodas being out of question, the Laura is out of this list.

Of all these, I'd probably bet on the Jetta... but as a new launch is around the corner, I would like to wait and check that out. Else, it would be the Passat for sure.

An ideal upgrade would be a Fortuner or Santa Fe, if you want to stay away from the VW/Skoda stable. Sonata CRDI is long in the tooth though a good cruiser is low on image and resale and hardly sells, I have driven it: not as bad as it's made to look by many mags. Jetta and Passat have new avatars round the corner. You have no good alternative in the 15-20 L bracket for a diesel  sedan other than Skoda. If you are chauffeur driven then have a look at the Corolla 1.4 D, but isn't worth the money you pay, though service would be leagues ahead of  Skoda.

@Pranab;

Please Congratulate your friend from my side for booking the Jetta.

VW offered good warranty package with it too but be beware to wade through Water-logged roads as its Air-Intake hose is situated too low & uptake even a feet deep water standing on the Road.