neerajd

Do I need to change my tires???

Hi everyone,

I have been using the stock 165-70 R14 tires on my Swift for the last 2 and a half years. The wheel rotations and balancing is done regularly and my car is maintained at an authorized service center. I have absolutely no problems with the car till date.. (of course apart from rattles smiley2.gif )

I had taken my car to one of my friends who is a car accessory dealer. Upon driving the car, he suggested me to change my tires as they have already done 32k (only on tarmac/concrete.. bad roads seldom) He claimed that he ride had become a little bumpy and might eat into the suspension. He has a swift on which he faced a similar problem resulting in a suspension maintenance bill of 40k + change of tires. The tread of the current tires is perfect to the eye, but being 2.5 yrs old, can definitely feel that the compound has become a little harder.

Can anyone help me out here?

• Do I need to change my tires?
  • If I do not change them, will they eat into the suspension?
  • When should I have the suspension on my car checked?

Your friend must be using the upsized tyres or Alloys for his Swift otherwise Swift's stock tyres won't give up early, atleast before 40k kms or 4-5years & need not be changed untill last 2-3mm of tyre tread is left behind.

So need not to worry & have a happy miles ahead.:-)

@Neerajd:

You really not at all need to bother about changing the tyres,your stock 165 section tyres are the best ones and at 32k(all tarmac/concrete)I am sure the tyres have not worn out too much.When it comes to suspension,then these are not only tyres which eat up the suspension but many other factors too.

When it comes to suspension check up,then my rule is:every second(alternate) service.Rest,seniors may give a better advice.

@neeraj: I think your friend wants to sell you a new set of tyres. My M800 had the original set of 'stock'  tyres when I sold the car at 45K kms (4.5years). My Accent had the original set of 'stock' tyres when I sold it at 60K kms (6 years). If your the kind that does donuts on a regular basis then a change may be in place; for regular driving I think stock will last as others have mentioned for atleast 50k

Durango Dude2011-03-19 02:05:58

Thank you everyone. That solves my question smiley1.gif

Won't be changing the tires yet then. As Dr. mentioned, it still has a very good tread depth.

My friend has a ZXi which has the 185 section tires. So probably compared to his drive mine would have been a little bumpy..

I was just worried about the same suspension expense coming my way.

@ Durango: I don't do donuts, I work for them smiley2.gif

Times come when I need to get new shoes for my Swift!!

I've clocked 50,000 kms now and the tires have started showing age. The compound has become a little harder too adding to braking woes. Its rainy season now.. and I do not want to take any chances.

So, that brings me to a few questions:

1. Should I go for the stock 165/80 R14 or should I upsize?
  2. If upsize, is there a 175 section R14 which is suitable for a Swift? I understand 185s will have more rolling resistance leading to impact on FE. And marginally, 175s would give a better grip than the 165s. So, is there a compatible 175 section tire?
  3. If yes, which brand should I go for? I use my car mainly on tar/concrete and would like a quieter ride.

Await your comments...

With sky rocketing Petrol prices, there is no option for 185 section. No 175 in market. So stick to 165.

On brand, I got Bridgestone which is the costliest in the market and is slightly hard too. Other cheap/soft option is Ceat Milege.

Also heard, Apollo got some 165 Acelere, if available, the best.

Thanks Bala.. I was actually thinking of putting on the new Michelin XM2s but as you said, with the petrol prices going up, I don't want to end up losing FE. Hence the keen lookout for 175 sections. I checked on their site and found a maybe-suitable tire size.

http://www.apollotyres.com/downloads/apollo_tyres_tyre_price_table.pdf

Out of this link, there is a 175/70 R14 84H Acelere available for around Rs. 3800 as a best price and also a 185/65 R14 86H Acelere at the same cost. I am unable to post just the image of the copied text here.

What'd you suggest?

I'm gonna check out the rates offered on those very soon. Are there any other brands that I should consider?

One of my friend also did suggest checking out Bridgestone too. Any take on this? And I'm pretty much sure I'm gonna get those 175s now.

My swifts giving me a pretty decent ~15 kmpl in city driving cycles with AC so its not all that bad :)

You can change your tires anytime you want. A slightly wider tire will give a smoother ride. I had a set of Michelins and finally changed them at 100k and not for the wear. They had plenty of tread left but I was tired of them and the Michelin dealer gave me a generous trade in discount on a new set. I also purchased a new set of wheels to replace the stock rims (got a trade in discount on the rims too). They did the balance, alignment, suspension check and nitrogen so I was satisfied. Just want to emphasize that it was mostly a cosmetic decision. The warranty on the new tires is 160k with free balance, rotation and nitrogen for the life of the warranty.

@Brn2Crz: Which Michelin tires did u have? and on which car? Did you clock 100k on the same tires? I'm not too keen on adding alloys at this time. Haven't budgeted for them actually B)

Also, how much do I expect for exchange for my existing set of tires? There's still enough tread remaining actually...

@bala: hehe.. :D Not that I was expecting anything.. but if the dealers do offer any price for them.. why not!!

And you're right. XM2+ do not come in 175. Actually they do not even come in the stock 165 size.

Anyway, have already narrowed down to the Accelere 175s. Will get them soon. Have already asked the dealer to get me a set of 5.

BTW, my tires have really gone from bad to worse. I was about to rear end a Mahindra Bolero - stupid was stationary on a grade separator!! The car just wouldn't stop in time.. but I managed to switch lanes just in time. Phew..

The tire dealer has confused me now... I asked him for a 175 section Accelere. But he said that may not be the correct upgrade for a Swift. The usual upgrade is 185/70 as on the top level trims. He said he's never given anyone that size for Swift and is not sure of the compatibility.

I'll be checking with the workshop guys.. but do any of you here have an idea if a 175/70 R14 is OK for the Swift?

If this is going to be too much of a confusion, I'm going to stick with the stock 165/80 - period.

Here is the Tyre sizes that you are discussing and here are the results when compared to the stock tyre .

Capture.jpg

I would advice you to go for 185/70R14 because you will not get 175/70R14 tyres easily.

Edited by rssh

@rssh: Thanks for the calculations... But it really surprises me that a 175/70 section affects the diameter by 3.08% whereas a 185/70 only by 0.83%!! Read somewhere that an increase of 3% or more in the diameter affects the brakes too..

Do not want to drastically reduce the FE that I'm getting rite now..

I would say go for the tyres of the ZXi trim level because you will not find any 175 section which will suit your swift . Also try to avoid Vectra tyres because they make too much noise after 15k km's on them.

185/70R14 is the one ,try michlein XM2 or Apollo Acclerz