ag77841

Help Buy me my first car - Budget around 6-6.5 lac

Hi,

I'm planning on buying my first car and my budget is upto 6.5 lacs on road in Delhi. I am looking for a petrol car since my monthly travel would not be more than a 1000 kms.

After researching a lot I had decided on getting the 2011 Swift and was waiting for it. But just recently I came across the new Tata Manza and found that the Aura Safire ABS is well within my budget. Now I'm seriously considering buying this car. I have yet to take a test drive of it but it looks like a very good option. What do you guys suggest? Is it a good car.

My main considerations are the following:

Driving experience and responsive car

Fuel efficiency

Low maintenance cost and good after sales service

Good resale value

Can you guys please help me out?

Please search the AAA section. Your query has been discussed in various threads which are in your ballpark. For example

about 8L in

http://archive.autocarindia.com/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8282&PN=2

6L in

http://archive.autocarindia.com/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8261&PN=2

and many others. A difference of 10% or so may arise from variations in local taxation alone. Then there are discounts, insurance costs, etc.

sgiitk2011-03-18 10:45:29

Thanks for your reply. Probably the Topic of my post was a bit misleading. I wanted feedback on the new TATA MANZA. I couldn't find much info on it in either of the above two threads. I would really appreciate if users here can guide me on this car.

No salutations: Team ACI

sgiitk2011-03-19 04:18:52

Tata manza is a very good car. But, I would certainly like you to consider etios also.

In short,

Tata Manza for-

1.Features

2.Quality of materials

3.VFM

Etio for,

1.Driving dynamics

2.Toyota build quality(not the part qualty)

3.Service and A.S.S.

Hey thanks Skoda Superb for ur suggestions... I'm not really keen on the Etios since I found it to be a very bland car. It just carries the Toyota badge and nothing else is exciting about it. Also, because of the recall problems with Toyota cars I'm not considering it at all, not to mention the huge waiting period.

The main things I'm looking for are:

1) Seating for 4-5 ppl (I'm a bachelor living away from my family so mostly me and my friends)

2) The car should really be fun to drive since I'm a driving enthusiast. So I'm looking for a responsive and powerful car.

3) Mostly the car would be used by me for driving to office in the city and once or twice a month Highway runs. Overall not more than 1000-1200 kms a month.

4) Fuel economy is important for me and I want a car that wud give me around 14-15 kmpl in the city.

5) I also want good after sales service and low maintenance costs.

6) Good resale value

I feel the TATA MANZA

If fuel efficiency, Reliability, build fineese, Good resale value & driving feel are your priorities then Tata Manza isn't for you.

Better is to wait for New Swift 2011 or Honda Brio, as they both are from world's most trustable brands, expect 16+ kmpl from them in city conditions.

Or best option presently is to go for i20 1.2 kappa petrol.

@ag77841

I agree with Dr Nishu.Since,the priorities you have mentioned above cannot be fulfilled by a Manza.If you can live with a Hatchback and cannot wait for 2011 Swift or Honda Brio.Then simply get an 1-20 kappa,else if you want real driving pleasure and a sizzling performance and are ready to stretch your budget by only 50k(ie:7L)then get your hands on a VW Polo 1.6 or a Skoda Fabia 1.6.

Why don't you look at the Ford Figo TDCi. It has the space, the driving dynamics(Shares the fiesta platform - so no worries about handling), and a superb mileage. It might not look too powerful on paper but its a punchy motor and 0-100 kmph comes up in just 16 seconds. It was because of all this that it won the ICOTY and ACI awards this year. Its a very capable hatch and also maintenance and spare costs are low since Ford has tried its best at localising. So , overall this is the hatch for you.

Now, if you need a car, I would again suggest you a Toyota Etios because of the aforementioned reasons.

In the Feb issue of Autocar India they had a comaprison between Manza, Etios and Dzire.... and who won it at the end of the day....The Toyota Etios.

Also, you might think of considering the Etios hatch - Liva which will be launched in June.

@Skoda:

Its a fact that Etios is a brilliant machine,its the fastest,most luxurious and with the legendary and magical Toyota badge it is going to rule the market,but that does not mean that its overall the best choice.DO YOU BELIEVE IN A WORD CALLED 'QUALITY'?Though you are a Skoda owner so I hope you are keen about the quality,and it is the only thing the Etios is lacking...seriously lacking.Second factor is the Toyots dealership network which is even today also nearly nowhere scattered as compared to Maruti or Tata or Hyundai.

Rest being a Toyota customer I feel that owning a Toyota is a fantastic experience,but sometimes its too painful because of lesser no. of service centers and dealerships.

@ TSiVipul - Yes, I do need need QUALITY for my cars. But, between the two ,i.e., Tata Manza and Toyota Etios the Etios has more BUILD QUALITY while Manza has more PART / INTERIOR QUALITY.

So, which car is the better built here - The Etios.

Which is the strongest performer here- The Etios.

Which is the best car to throw around corners The Etios.

Which car has the best A.S.S and dealership experience (not accounting the dealer network since in this case Mysore has a Toyota dealership) - Toyota Etios.

Which car gives you a hassle free ownership experience - The Etios.

Then, the Tata Manza is just a car with some extra features thrown in. Yes, you do need features, but is that everything a car is?

No, absolutely not. Then to ascertain that fact the Feb 2011 Autocar India Magazine Comparison shows the TOYOTA ETIOS TO BE AN OVERALL BETTER CAR THAN THE TATA MANZA.

@Skoda Superb:

You are absolutely right,even I too have read that comparison test hundreds of times,but what has taken me away from the Etios is the painfully long waiting period and even then its not sure that you may have to wait for 1-2 months more.

Though when it comes to A$$,in my views Tata is nowhere near Toyota but lack of service centers is a problem..

and at last,I AM DAMN SURE THAT ETIOS WILL BE ABLE TO FETCH A GOOD RESALE VALUE TOO.

When it comes to quality,Etios feels tinny in front of Manza,even the interior quality too feels inferior in front of Manza,rest everything is satisfactory.

@Skoda Superb:

You are absolutely right' date='even I too have read that comparison test hundreds of times,but what has taken me away from the Etios is the painfully long waiting period and even then its not sure that you may have to wait for 1-2 months more.

[/quote']

Toyota is taking various steps to counter that. They are having capacity expansions, extra shifts, and many other things. IIRC NDTV's show host claims it to be reduced to 2-3 months max by around July.

Hey thanks guys so much for your inputs. I am now thinking of getting the i20 Asta petrol version as it is well within my budget and comes fully loaded with ABS and airbags. I'm now tired of waiting for the new Swift and am not sure if i'll be able to get my hands on it before September-October. Etios is also out of the question since I neither like the looks nor the interiors of the car. Also, the car has no features whatsoever to speak of in my budget.

Just a few more questions:

1) I have read in this forum that a 2011 i20 transform with kappa2 engine might be launched. However, I was unable to find any information on this. Can anybody fill me on this and let me know when is it expected to be launched?

2) Some users I spoke to have talked about some AC and Steering rattling issues in their cars. Are these problems still there in the newer models?

@Ag - Do have a look at Polo petrol too, before you book yourself an i20. i guess Polo  comes in your budget.Though i20 is good too,  I personally loved Polo a lot compared to the i20. 

If you want an ultimate VFM hatchaback for the price, why don't you also consider the ICOTY Ford Figo. The diesel is quite punchy and you can churn more with a simple remap.

The top end Titanium with all the bells and whistles should be well within your budget.

Besides, it's more about what you get for the money you spent.

I would recommend you to go on for either a Polo or a Fabia 1.6.

Reason:Both are adequately powered,fantastic to drive in city as well as highway,top notch quality and will be in your budget too.

@ mndvishnu & TSiVipul: I do like both the polo as well as the fabia, but I'm planning on taking the car with me to Mysore after some time. There are no dealers or service centers for Skoda or VW in the city. The nearest ones are in Bangalore and I dont wanna drive there everytime there is a small issue with the car.

@ Skoda: I was seriously considering the Figo sometime back but after TD, I was not at all satisfied with the performance. Also, the fact that there is no option of rear power windows was a big turn off for me. And I found that the rear windows only go down 50%, which is very strange.

I took a TD of i20 Asta petrol version today and I have to that I was deeply let down with the performance in comparison to Swift. The car litterally wasn't moving in 2nd gear with the AC on. I had completely floored the pedal and still there was no response from the car. On the highway the Swifts and i10s were overtaking me with ease and I had to push real hard to keep up. I came back hugely disappointed with the pickup of the car. This experience has firmly crossed the i20 off my list.

I have now decided to book the Swift Zxi. The dealer here has asked me to book the current swift for the time being and once the new swift is launched they will shift me on to it. The only thing that was keeping me from buying the Swift was its abundance on the road, but I guess there a good reason for it.

@ag77841 - The i20 petrol not a charmer in the performance department, but you may look at the i20 CrDi diesel version also. I neighbour and a friend has the car (diesel) and are very satisfied with it.

If you want another diesel at the price point , you may take a closer look at the Nissan Micra 1.5 dCi also.

If the choice of motor is petrol , look no further - you have chosen India's best hatchback till date - The Swift Zxi.

Guys just wanted to inform that I finally booked a Sandrift Grey Chevy Beat LT Opt yesterday. I took a test drive of the car and immediately fell in love with it. The car's response was amazing and it was a total value for money. It looks really cool as well... very different from any other hatchback... smiley16.gif. I just loved it. It's like a rocket. smiley4.gif

Congrats ag for booking the New Chevrolet Beat.

Its really a good car & its now more efficient & pleasurable to drive with its new Smartech engine.

Congrats once again.

When is its delivery expected? ?

Do post some of its pics & Initial ownership report after getting it.