priyajit.dey

i20 petrol or swift diesel?

Dear All,

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am looking for your suggestion on behalf of my neighbor on buying a car. He is 32 years old and does not know driving and this will be his first car. His budget is 5.5 L on road and wish to buy either i20 magna petrol or swift Ldi diesel (both are nearly priced & within 5.5 L) as both Hyundai and Maruti service centers are within 1 km distance from his home. This is his first car and his requirements are

For a newbie it would be better to go in for a small petrol hatch' date=' something even smaller than the above, either an Alto or Spark. If he wants low running costs I suggest he try the Spark LPG.  [/quote'] Agree. keeping in view his uses these are the best options. though he can add beat lpg and wagon R also in the list. With three years free maintanance and discounted prices offered by chevy the spark will prove the best option.ashikawa2011-03-29 04:24:01

Priyajit Dey: As your neighbor has already zeroed on the i20 and the swift Ldi, he may not think of any other choices. With his minimal use of just 350 kms monthly in a crowded city, he could make use of the Swift Lxi or the Vxi. Both are very good and easy to maintain and being a 1st time driver your neighbor will really enjoy the refinement of petrol.

But if the usage increases in the future it is advisable for him to blindly buy the Swift Ldi.

I do not know about the Swift diesel version, but I have driven the petrol version of both i20 and Swift. If performance is a criteria to go by then the Swift is unmatched. The i20 feels a lot underpowered when compared to the zippyness of the Swift. Overall I was hugely impressed by the Swift when compared to the i20.

However, the i20 has better interiors and ride quality. Plus, it's a little less common than the Swift.

But since your neighbour is still learning to drive I would, like the others before me, recommend a smaller hatchback like a Spark or even Alto K series.

wish to buy either i20 magna petrol or swift Ldi diesel (both are nearly priced & within 5.5 L) as both Hyundai and Maruti service centers are within 1 km distance from his home. This is his first car and his requirements are

I feel that he should go for Swift Lxi and save money.

- The Petrol engine in Swift is any day better and more fuel efficient than i20's Kappa unit.

- Since his usage is limited to less than 350km per month, petrol makes much sense.

- Also, the added space availability in i20 need not help him much, since his usage is limited.

- Comparatively smaller Swift might be easier to drive for a learning driver as well.

- I would also like to add that the service spare parts availability for a Maruti in long term should never be a problem; specially since swift is the most successful super mini ever in India.

I would ask him to wait for Honda Brio if possible. If he is in urgency, Ritz is best bet. It should be a nice first car too( better road view) with best engine, best FE, better build( compared to swift)

Both Swift car& i20's engine are going to be history soon, so no point going for it, if planning to retain for long.

Since he is buying the car for first time and he is new to driving I would suggest him to take a test drive of following cars before putting money -

1.  Maruti  Alto K10
  2. Chevrolet Spark LPG
  3. Hyundai i10

or wait for following cars

1. Honda Brio
  2. Spark Diesel
  3. New Swift 
  4.  VVT Hyundai i20
  5. Hyundai's new small car HA

Diesel cars make nosense unless you rack up mileage in excess of 25000 KM/year  Govt.is going to introduce new policy on Diesel use which would nullify any benefits of using Diesel car.

Also considering congestion in our cities its better to stick with a small hatchback.

I think you should go for swift ldi because it is a good option over i20.Many advantages will follow you alike best service facility,better fuel efficiency but oonly if uor neighbour has to drive for long distances otherwise instead of going for a diesel car he should look on a petrol car like RITZ,PUNTO etc.I 20 is also a good car and nowadays good in sales I think...You should first take test dives of all the options available in this range and then make your deision... smiley20.gif