rameshbabu.n

Please suggest AUTOGEARED Hatch & Sedan

Our family friends have come to India after being in France for over three decades.  They have decided to settle down in Tirupati and bought a flat.  The next thing would be buying a suitable car.  Keeping in view their driving habits of LHD (in Paris/France), I have suggested them to buy a Auto Transmission Harch (or a sedan).  They can spend upto 10 lakhs.  Their usage will be very limited and minimal in this small town.  So they need only a Petrol car and mostly used for carrying only two tall adults (both are about 5'9"). 

What AUTO-TRANSMISSION cars will you suggest ? 

Suggest at least one hatch and one sedan, please.

rameshbabu.n2011-03-29 11:07:36

Amongst Sedans the car of choice is VW Vento Petrol AT, as they won't miss the strong build quality of cars there in France, otherwise Honda City AT would've been the best, albeit overshooting their budget by a bit.

Amongst hatchbacks, Take a look at the i20 1.4 Automatic petrol & it seems to be the best. 

Since your relatives are new a better and reliable A.S.S. is required for complete peace of mind. And for this reason nothing is better than Maruti Suzuki.

For Sedan SX4 can be suggested and it is best suited as it provides big cabin space as well as good ground clearance along with Maruti's reliability and A.S.S. within your vicinity.

For hatchback A-Star Automatic is best and cheapest option available.

@rameshbabu.n

now first of all we will see the hatchbacks

cheapest hatch with a automatic option-petrol

maruthi A-star

vxi a/t

4/a

power 66 hp

torque 9

price-4.99 lakh onroad-chennai

intermediate hatch

hyundai i.10

power 79hp

torque 11

4/a

6.84 lakh onroad chennai

1.2 asta 0 a/t

punchy hatch

hyundai i20

power 100 hp

torque 13

1.4 asta 0 at

4/a

8.87 onroad chennai

sedans

honda city v at

sx4 zxi at

@rameshbabu

Tell them to spend a little bit more and go for Honda City. Considering ATs it is miles ahead of any other AT till that price point.

Hatches, go for i20 1.4 Asta. There are chances that Swift will be launched with AT but nothing confirmed.

My suggestion would be the following -

Sedan - Honda City AT for all around perforamnce and Honda luxury and premiumness or 

SX4 AT due to MASS and high ground clearance

Hatchback - for two people - A- star AT

- for four people - Hyundai i10 AT

I would not recommend Hyundai  i20 AT due to steering rack issue.

But the best thing would be test drive all the automatics first and then choose whichever car they like.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Your suggestions are being considered by our friends.

I will let you know the outcome shortly.

Tirupati is a small place (it is not even a district headquarters).

We have only Maruti, Hyundai, Tatas, Toyota and Chevrolet dealers here.

For Honda's City or VW's Vento, the nearest sales and service point is Chennai (150 kms), which may be a negative factor for them to decide.

However, I feel that alone should not be a limiting factor (as experienced by me for my Xylo - I need to take it to Chennai for all services - free and paid).

@rameshbabu

In that case I would tell them to wait for the new Verna. Gearbox may not be as good as City, and maybe even Vento, but peace of mind is guaranteed.

Also keep in mind that Honda is rapidly expanding dealership network for its Brio launch. A Honda dealer would most probably be there. And then again Honda in terms of engine and gearbox is a notch above whatever every body else have been able to achieve.

I still regret not buying a City in 2002 since there was no dealership in Kanpur (nearest was Lucknow 100 km away). I bought an Accent - no regrets per so but a City would have been far nicer. Normally they have service facilities with a local garage and a mechanic visits periodically. Gwalior ran this way for a few years (Agra dealership) till they got a franchise in Gwalior.

@rameshbabu.n

Wait for 2-3 months for the all New Ford Fiesta. It will have Automatic Transmission like Skoda DSG Auto Transmission that no car in sub 10lacs category has. This auto transmission is delightful to use.

The design is very futuristic.The new 1.6l petrol engine now produces whopping 120bhp. It is loaded with features like Start/Stop Button, Keyless entry etc. and will be priced very competitively.

It has best ride and handling in sub 10 lacs. You can confirm it in the Autocar India Review.

The rear space is less as compared to others. But it will not be a problem for two adults.

http://www.autocarindia.com/firstdrive/new-fiesta-test-drive-and-review    

@Aerospeedcars: Both cars mentioned by you are due for a replacement, shortly. Sonata Embera has become Sonata Transform and pretty pricey at around 19 to 20 L otr for the CRDI auto. I'd wait for it to go into clearance sale to get great bargains just before the i45 launch.

Around 10 Lakhs budget you can get following Sedans in the price range from lowest to highest,

1. Maruthi Suzuki SX4 AT Petrol

Oldest Model - Maruthi's Reliable After Sales Service - Good Road Clearance and Road Presence - 9.84 Lakhs On Road Chennai

2. Volkswagen Vento AT Petrol

Latest Model - Highest Build Quality - Decent Power and Driveability -

Long Lasting Plastics - Highly Reliable - Decent Mileage - 10.54 Lakhs

On Road Chennai

3. Huyudai Verna Transform AT Diesel

Older Model due for replacement in Mid 2011, Wait for the New Verna - 10.69 Lakhs On Road Chennai

4. Honda City AT Petrol -

Recent Model - Great Design - Good Performance - Futuristic Look - Good Mileage - Ground Clearance is one of the Key Issue ( Based on my personal driving experience)  - 11.43 Lakhs On Road Chennai

My personal choice will be Volkswagen Vento AT Petrol

Going though the posts, I understand After Sales Service is a concern, with the current generation cars are having 15000 KMs as the service interval, that may be one of the least issue in my opinion.  You may need to travel once in 12 months or 15 Months for Servicing this car to Chennai, which I guess should not be an major issue.  Vento is also cheaper by about 90 K compared to Honda City.

Else I would suggest to wait for the the New Ford Fiesta or New Huyndai Verna