tejasmehta990

Tata Safari Merlin : Yeh dil Mange More

Looks like many a people have a lot of expectations on this.

To me it's just a major facelift for a 10/15year old product .This will remain India's best suv,not that there are any scarce of capable suvs in India but this will be the only one which gives the owner license to have real fun and exploring because of the cheap price and maintenance cost.

Fortuner is a much more capable suv but it's spares costs ten times that of a Tata

I like its head lamp and wheel arches. Head lamp some what reminds me of Skoda Superb.

As someone said bigger tyres...wouldn't this lead to further higher ground clearance and thus will disrupt the drive pleasure on the high speed?

Tata-Merlin-SUV-Interiors-2.jpg

Tata-Safari-Merlin-SUV-2.jpg

Tata-Safari-Merlin-SUV-1.jpg

Now with the clear pictures of the dash board we get info that the Safari will now be equipped with features even on the base model as this on is.

Now I can say that the old Safari model will surely be extinct and the Merlin will take it place. Now the Merlin will hold these features on the base model

Air Bags

ABS with EBD

2nd & 3rd Aircon vents

Music system standard

Elevated head room for third row passengers

Follow me head lights

lumbar support on front wheels

From the second model onwards

Electrical ORVM with mounted indicators

Body coloured cladding

Reverse sensors

Sensor activated head lights and wipers

Remote operated central locking

Bluetooth enbedded double DIN system

Steering mounted audio controls

Seat hight adjuster with lumbar support

Top end model

Steering mounted audio controls with Cruise control

Rear reverse camera

Alloy wheels

TCS ( if TML can Afford)

Leather seats

Onboard DVD player with screens on head rest

And expect it to start from around 8 Lakhs ex-Delhi.

This should be a cracker of a price and can take on the XUV head on.

What Say You?

Exclaimer: This is purely my point of view.

TAUREAN CZAR2011-10-18 17:57:53

Interiors upgrade good. For the exteriors, I would have to say both the front & rear are not in-sync with the latest design. The front is rounded while rear is boxy.

Max. will boil down to the price, hope Tata takes que from MM XUV shattering price & surprise the market. Otherwise it will just be another launch.

Maybe the new Safari get a completely new and more powerful engine from the JLR stable because i have read that Tata will now develop engines with JLR.
http://autocarindia.com/news/tata-jlr-co-develop-engines

Does this also mean that may be later on we may have JLR engine in TATA Vista and Manza? if in case there is a smaller unit as well?

Btw...Did any one notice two silencers at behind of new Safari? I think this is going to be a very first move under 10L category.

[EDoes this also mean that may be later on we may have JLR engine in TATA Vista and Manza?

if in case there is a smaller unit as well?

JLR-TML combo have announced the the joint development program is only for low end JLR and high end TATA vehicles

and that would be over and above 2.0 liter engines and not below.

So lower end engines will still be from TML or from Fiat at the moment.

So I expect as TML engineers learn wmore from this joint programme the more should they lea

rn to make faultless engines.shanthanreddyp2011-10-19 07:55:25

Looks like all thanks to the XUV500 the bar has been raised too high which the Merlin will find too high to reach. But I think this should make a satisfactory buy if priced below 9 lakhs for this one for the base variant.

Few changes I think are necessary.

Move the A/C knobs to the bottom and music system below the A/C vents giving space for double din and a row of buttons between them.

I like the redesigned front end of the vehicle but am not to sure about the rear design. The rear seems to look confused. Hope they get the reliability factor right and price it below the XUV.

How much weight the Safari 'Storm' would have lost in this transit.

If the weight is lessened by atleast 200-300 kgs to less than its two tonne on the previous version then it'll make a lot more peppier machine and will lessen the strain on the suspension resulting in better handling and longer life. It's also make it more fuel efficient.

Around 11 years ago on way to school i saw, TELCO Safari and was like nice.... Cut to the present all i can think of is will this so called updated safari ever feel like an SUV or remain a Truck true to it's parent company TATA MOTORS lineage?

i agree with vr... Its only a marginal shift from the original... the cabin is too simple to pay 12 lacs (assuming that the pictures here are of the top of the line variant)

- No steering controls

- No integrated music system

- Very tacky looking dashboard

- Panel gaps are evident

... and I'm sure this will come only with 2 airbags smiley1.gif

The interiors are somehow too plain for this to pass as a product with a price tag of 10-12 lacs.

On the outside, it looks more like a Force One with very cheap looking side cladding.. looks like a last minute add-on. Scorpio carries it off better.

I wouldn't even compare this one with the XUV!! That one is leagues ahead of this product.

Not much of the appearance has changed on the outside in terms of body structure/design.. and the engine remains the same... so i don't suppose that the performance is going to change drastically..

Would like to read a full review of this one soon though.