prankemperor

Put 3.15liter petrol in my diesel car

So I was driving this Ford Feista and the tank was low about 7-8 liters

of diesel so I pull into a gas station and told the attendant to fill

petrol as the car I drive is petrol, this dad's car which I rarely use.

About 3liters went in when I realized that it is Diesel car. Stopped it

and the station mechanic advised to fill it up with Diesel so we filled

it up with 17liters of Diesel. He said as it was a small amount of

petrol is should be fine, but I am worried.

Need help, what am I looking at? Would the car be fine?

Oh and drove 80kms after that as I was in the middle of nowhere and had

to get to the city. The car ran fine it did not seem to miss a beat to

me.

This is entirely not advisable. Anyways, all you should do is "Get it to the service station, and drain all the diesel out. Then they will have a solvent to add with the diesel to cleanup the entire fuel lining system(this will clean including a diesel pump). Continue your ride normally with the new diesel once the work has been finished.

so went to the Ford service station and they said it is fine and there

is no problem. No need to drain and flush the system. And importantly

they said that as the quantity of petrol is less it should not give

problem. Also the fact that the car drove for 80kms after that and

nothing happened, if was to happen then it would have the initial few

kilometers.

So they advised to keep the tank half filled at all times for next 1000km and not to rev it high.

You are the lucky one@prankemperor.

My endeavour is filled up with a petrol once a long back.

The ratio was 1:4 (petrol:diesel). I then noticed the problem at the petrol station itself and tried to got back to the service station from the spot. Even no use, the car became slow, idle, then fully turned off. Finally admitted at the ford service station. They flushed off everything & cleaned the diesel lining and pump which had taken around 46000rs. Be alert from the next!

@prankemperor: I am wondering whether it is a prank!

The simple solution was just to tank up with diesel, and let the petrol burn off.Often in rural areas you get more than this as an 'unofficial additive'!

I think you take the car to the Ford dealer or some reputed workshop. Common Rail diesel engines are quite particular about the purity of diesel and adulterated diesel is not good for such engines.I believe they will check the entire fuel system right upto the engine inlet/ fuel injectors and flush out the petrol.

For older diesels the diesel-kerosene or even petrol mix was not that damaging.

Usually flushing of fuel tank & its Injection system is essential for such kind of incidents to eradicate the chance of its part failure.

But if Ford ASC have clarified the case it as such then there's no need of doing anything.

But if Ford ASC have clarified the case it as such then there's no need of doing anything.

Its better to get a written acknowledgment from them.In future it will prevent any hassles when you claim warranty regarding any problem with engine.

Just the opposite happend with my friend.

Diesel in petrol car Hyundai Accent.

tank was almost empty and was filled up with diesel by mistake, as expected car started but just for a few min.

Later he called the mechanic and realised the problem was type of fuel, The tank was completely drained out and cleaned but i guess the damage was already done as diesel had reached the engine. However after cleaning the tank the mechanic started the engine and after few tries a big cloud of black smoke could be seen from the exaust for a while.

No other treatment was done apart from injector cleaning and tank cleaning.

Now my friend feels that there is a drop in pickup and the vehicle is not as good as before.

Kindly suggest what can be done and what should have been done?

Was the method followed by the mechanic correct?

Kindly suggest what can be done and what should have been done?

Was the method followed by the mechanic correct?

If ite fuel pump is alright then cleaning the Injectors again properly & Replacing the entire Spark plug set solves the purpose to the max.

Advice your friend to use Speed/Power/Xtra Premium 2-3 times regularly in his Accent as it'll probably nullify some of the ill-effects caused by Diesel fuel in that engine.

Actually, the damage is already done.   What occurs happens in the cylinder.  The gasoline  will pre-ignite, dramatically increase TDC pressure and temperature, dry the head gasket, crack the exhaust manifold, score the cylinders, chip the rings, trash the injector pintle, increase the blow by, create micro fractures in the head and if you tear down the engine you get to see that lovely gasoline signature burned into the top of each piston.  This did happen but it's like smoking, if you didn't die immediately, you just shaved  a few thousand kilometers off its life.

Diesels are pretty forgiving except for large truck engines.  I've seen pistons come right out the side and right through bottom.